Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey friends, looking for some feedback from the group. Yesterday, I did some significant modifications to my XK. It started with the 2.25" Rocky Road XK Lift, their nitrogen charged rear shocks, new OME XK front struts, and new 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires on 2010 JK rims with 1.5" spacers. I then ended up changing out both front wheel hub bearings with SCITOO PN# 513234, and both outer tie rod ends with O’Reilly Auto Parts' MasterPro Chassis brand.

Everything came together fairly well with the help of air tools of course. After everything was back together there were two issues, one was the TPMS. Not sure if the JK's sensors are compatible but if they're not I know how to fix it and that's the smaller of the two issues. The second issue, is that every time I press on the brakes, the ABS kicks in, like it thinks a front tire is slipping. There are no warning lights on the dash, the cruise control still works so I'm guessing the wheel speed sensors are working fine. This happens if I have the traction control on or off, no difference.

At first I thought maybe it was just out of alignment and that was causing the issue, so I immediately drove to the shop and had them align it but that made no change. Is it possible that simply adding the larger tires is causing this? I'm just afraid that maybe there's an issue with the wheel speed sensors but I would think if there was any issue, ABS would disable itself, the cruise control wouldn't work, etc. I have a 3874 Flashpaq coming tomorrow so I can modify the tire size, but I was just looking for advice as well, in case that doesn't change anything!

I hope it goes without saying, but I did search the forum and didn't really see anyone else with this same issue, it seemed to be more with the traction control system when adding lifts over 2.5" and the ESP causing issues with turning (link here: https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/53-suspension-lifts/14007-suspension-kit-affecting-esp.html). My issue is, that above 5mph, ABS engages 95% of the time I apply any amount of pressure to the brake pedal, no matter what position the steering wheel is at. Thanks all, I really value this forum and any feedback you may have!

Here's a photo yesterday, just back from the test drive:

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
i had abs warning lights after i changed my hubs. i reset via the fiat app car software. i would disconnect your battery for a while to reset everything and see if there are any changes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i reset via the fiat app car software. i would disconnect your battery for a while to reset everything and see if there are any changes.
Thanks for chiming in drm4633! I have no warning lights, and the battery was disconnected over the two days I did all the work. I am going to connect an OBDII reader today, to see if that gives me any info. The Flashpaq should also arrive today so I'll be changing the tire size as well. Fingers crossed. I fear one of the hub sensors may just be defective.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
@tankman67;

Try turning your electronic stability control off so you see that the orange wavy light is on - and see if you still have that same issue.

If you don't have the same issue when your ESC is off, then, you probably need an EGR (Electronic Geometry Recalibration) Module to compensate for your modifications.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thanks for chiming in drm4633! I have no warning lights, and the battery was disconnected over the two days I did all the work. I am going to connect an OBDII reader today, to see if that gives me any info. The Flashpaq should also arrive today so I'll be changing the tire size as well. Fingers crossed. I fear one of the hub sensors may just be defective.

i saved my sensors from my old hubs just in case i had issues. you could try your old ones if you still have them. if not, i can ship you mine to see if it helps.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really appreciate the replies, since I'm pretty stumped on this one!
@Big Blue - I have tried turning the ESC off (I called it "traction control" in my original post) and the symptoms are exactly the same.
@drm4633 - I do have the sensors from the old hubs, but thank you for the offer! I'm hesitant to "modify" the new hubs, since I don't want any problems if I do have to return them.

I also tried to change the tire size with the 3874 Flashpaq, but it made no difference in the speedometer! I even went all the way up to 42" tires, it said the settings were saved, but the speed was still about 6% off based off my GPS speed. The Flashpaq did report one DTC that would immediately come back after clearing, "U0024 - Low Speed CAN Comm Bus - Open". Unfortunately that is extremely vague and I haven't been able to find any good info on it. I also can't confirm if it existed before all my modifications.

So here's my plan at this point. I'm going to put the original wheels back on (OEM tires are still on the OEM rims) and see if the problem exists. If it goes away, I think I can assume the larger tires are causing the issue and take it to the dealer to have the speedo recalibrated. If the issue remains, I'm going to order another brand of hubs and swap them out. If the issue still persists, then I guess I'll have to go the EGR module route. I'll let you know what I find out!!

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I really appreciate the replies, since I'm pretty stumped on this one!

@Big Blue - I have tried turning the ESC off (I called it "traction control" in my original post) and the symptoms are exactly the same.
@drm4633 - I do have the sensors from the old hubs, but thank you for the offer! I'm hesitant to "modify" the new hubs, since I don't want any problems if I do have to return them.

I also tried to change the tire size with the 3874 Flashpaq, but it made no difference in the speedometer! I even went all the way up to 42" tires, it said the settings were saved, but the speed was still about 6% off based off my GPS speed. The Flashpaq did report one DTC that would immediately come back after clearing, "U0024 - Low Speed CAN Comm Bus - Open". Unfortunately that is extremely vague and I haven't been able to find any good info on it. I also can't confirm if it existed before all my modifications.

So here's my plan at this point. I'm going to put the original wheels back on (OEM tires are still on the OEM rims) and see if the problem exists. If it goes away, I think I can assume the larger tires are causing the issue and take it to the dealer to have the speedo recalibrated. If the issue remains, I'm going to order another brand of hubs and swap them out. If the issue still persists, then I guess I'll have to go the EGR module route. I'll let you know what I find out!!
This causes me some concern; the fact that you can't recalibrate your speedometer to your larger tire size tells me you have some kind of issue going on with your ECU/PCM/Computer which could also explain why you're having the ABS issue as well as the low speed CAN Comm Bus DTC.

I'm going to try and research the DTC you're getting (U0024) and see what else I might be able to dig up.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Found out this much so far;

https://www.autocodes.com/u0024_dodge.html

U0024 DODGE - Low Speed CAN Communication Bus Open:

Repair Importance Level: 3/3
Repair Difficulty Level: 3/3

Possible causes:
CAN Communication Bus Open
Faulty Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM)
Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) harness is open or shorted
Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) circuit poor electrical connection

Click on the link below and read further, lots of good information in there on possible causes:

https://www.autocodes.com/articles/13/obdii-codes-possible-causes.html

I found this particularly interesting:

Harness is open or shorted:

It means that the wire(s) connected from and to the component (sensor, solenoids, actuator, etc.) is either open (cut, broken, disconnected) or shorted (touching other wires, components, body). "Open" and "short" are common electrical terms. An open is a break in a wire or at a connection. A short is an accidental connection of the wire to ground or another wire.

In simple electronics, this usually means something won't work at all. With complex electronics (such as ECMs or PCMs) this can sometimes mean something works, but not the way it's supposed to.

I hope this might help point you in the right direction.

Here is another DTC resource:

https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/obd-ii-u-network-codes.php

·
Registered
31 Posts
the problem with your TPMS is the JK sensors. Just went through the same issue. Mounted the JK tires and wheels and the system always had issues. Friday had the correct sensors installed and everything works correctly. Good luck on the ABS issue.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks @Big Blue. Maybe step one will be to reseat all the wiring above the drivers front strut assembly that I had to move in order to install the lift. Maybe something was bumped loose in the process. I just wish I knew if that DTC existed before I put on the mods.
@JeepAddiction, thanks for the info. They must just be slightly different, it seems that two tires are checking in but two aren't. I have no idea why that would be, but I think the easiest thing to do is just replace all the sensors with the "correct" ones and be done with it. Where did you buy your sensors?

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Thanks @Big Blue. Maybe step one will be to reseat all the wiring above the drivers front strut assembly that I had to move in order to install the lift. Maybe something was bumped loose in the process. I just wish I knew if that DTC existed before I put on the mods.

@JeepAddiction, thanks for the info. They must just be slightly different, it seems that two tires are checking in but two aren't. I have no idea why that would be, but I think the easiest thing to do is just replace all the sensors with the "correct" ones and be done with it. Where did you buy your sensors?
I think that's a good first step in the troubleshooting process based on what I found researching your DTC. This TPM sensor should work for you if you want to order a couple;

https://www.amazon.com/VDO-SE10001HP-REDI-Sensor-314-9-Sensor/dp/B00CBQFE8E/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1546278825&vehicle=2006-42-2817------------1-0&sr=1-1&ymm=2006%3Ajeep%3Acommander

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ebay has a company selling 4 used ones for $64. I was in a hurry and got them through my tire guy for $35 each. only needed three because I took the old ones from the previous wheels. One was good, one was broke, and two had dead batteries. They have been stored for three years. Can not remember the number.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-TIRE-PRESSURE-SENSOR-TPMS-OEM-56053030AC-SET-TS01/251760536793?fits=Year:2006|Model:Liberty|Make:Jeep&epid=864070292&hash=item3a9e18ecd9:g:PrkAAOSwA79Znu5F:sc:USPSFirstClass!80031!US!-1:rk:7:pf:0

·
Registered
82 Posts
Get your TPMS sensors replaced and your ABS issue should resolve itself - ABS computer currently has no idea how fast any of your wheels are spinning and is over compensating.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Get your TPMS sensors replaced and your ABS issue should resolve itself - ABS computer currently has no idea how fast any of your wheels are spinning and is over compensating.
I'm not so sure I buy that @bp73....I have my TPM (Tire Pressure Monitoring) System completely disabled and my ABS (anti-lock braking system) is working just fine.

Here is a detailed explanation of what the ABS system actually does:

An anti-lock braking system (ABS) is a safety anti-skid braking system used on aircraft and on land vehicles, such as cars, motorcycles, trucks and buses. ABS operates by preventing the wheels from locking up during braking, thereby maintaining tractive contact with the road surface. ABS is an automated system that uses the principles of threshold braking and cadence braking which were once practiced by skillful drivers with earlier non-ABS braking systems. ABS operates at a very much faster rate and more effectively than most drivers could manage. Although ABS generally offers improved vehicle control and decreases stopping distances on dry and some slippery surfaces, on loose gravel or snow-covered surfaces ABS may significantly increase braking distance, while still improving steering control.

Here is a detailed explanations of what a TPM system actually does:

A tire-pressure monitoring system is an electronic system designed to monitor the air pressure inside the pneumatic tires on various types of vehicles. TPMS report real-time tire-pressure information to the driver of the vehicle, either via a gauge, a pictogram display, or a simple low-pressure warning light.

All the TPM sensor system does is monitor the air pressure in your tires - nothing more and nothing less. When the air pressure in one of your tires gets low, or, if it loses communication with one of the sensors, the orange TPM warning light comes on; I'm quite confident that it has nothing at all to do with the ABS system.

·
Registered
82 Posts
@Big Blue - you're correct. I had wheel speed sensor (on the hub) stuck in my head. Just replaced 2 front hubs and recently also replaced the SCM module (receives input from the TPMS sensors as well as communications from keyfob). Thanks for callin' that out : )

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
@Big Blue - you're correct. I had wheel speed sensor (on the hub) stuck in my head. Just replaced 2 front hubs and recently also replaced the SCM module (receives input from the TPMS sensors as well as communications from keyfob). Thanks for callin' that out : )
No worries - and I wasn't trying to be a jerk, I just didn't want @tankman67 to get confused.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATES:

I orderd new TPMS sensors on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UC72UI/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_mqxnCbAPVMY16

I removed the two fuse boxes from above the driver's side strut, looked them over good and reattached everything. No change.

After reading the service manual about everything connected to the B-Bus, (ABS is C-Bus) I'm more convinced that my issue is caused by the replacement SCITOO PN# 513234 wheel hub bearings. I still haven't put my original wheels/tires back on yet.

Anyone have a recommendation for replacement wheel hub bearings?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just finished swapping out the SCITOO hubs with MOOG 513234 (Timken were not available on Amazon Prime) and the ABS issue is gone! The new Dorman TPMS sensors resolved that issue too, so my project is officially complete! The silver lining, is that I had a chance to order new brake dust shields and installed those while swapping the hubs this time around. I love my Commander all over again! She's just getting ready to turn 201,000 miles and I'm hoping she's got a lot more left! She's a beast!

Thanks to everyone for your input!!

Dallas

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I just finished swapping out the SCITOO hubs with MOOG 513234 (Timken were not available on Amazon Prime) and the ABS issue is gone! The new Dorman TPMS sensors resolved that issue too, so my project is officially complete! The silver lining, is that I had a chance to order new brake dust shields and installed those while swapping the hubs this time around. I love my Commander all over again! She's just getting ready to turn 201,000 miles and I'm hoping she's got a lot more left! She's a beast!

Thanks to everyone for your input!!

Dallas
Great news Dallas, glad you got it all ironed out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts