Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I have not but hopefully after thursday I can get some measurements for you. Before and after BDS lift measurements. Then when i get new tires i can measure again.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I cannot help you with stock measurements, however the Rocky Road lift and stock tires put the center on my wheel wells at 34 1/4" in the front and 35" in the rear.

This measurement is from the ground to the lower edge of the fender flair, centered on the tire.

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts
a49erFan said:
I cannot help you with stock measurements, however the Rocky Road lift and stock tires put the center on my wheel wells at 34 1/4" in the front and 35" in the rear.

This measurement is from the ground to the lower edge of the fender flair, centered on the tire.
I think he wants to know the measurement from the from the ground to the lowest point underneath the vehicle, which is what ground clearance is.

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts
According to the Jeep website the stock ground clearance is 8.6 inches. The lowest point is the rear axle.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
A lift will not help you with lowest ground clearnce, becuase the lowest point is the rear diff. Lifts help with all other areas of clearance. Now if you want to rise your lowest point, you will need bigger tires. That is what I have always been told.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
UberCommander said:
A lift will no help you with lowest ground clearnce, becuase the lowest point is the rear diff. Lifts help with all other areas of clearance. Now if you want to rise your lowest point, you will need bigger tires. That is what I have always been told.
Exactly. That's what I was going to say, but you beat me to it.

However, keep in mind that a lift will give you extra clearance under the vehicle in spots other than the rear axle & differential and some of the front suspension components, like the lower A-arms, for example.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Also keep in mind that the only way to get those bigger tires in your wheel well is to add a lift. You really can't have one without the other. Also the main areas that ground clearance matters is 1.approach angle 2.breakover angle 3.and departure angle. 2-3 inches makes a big difference in those spots. If you follow a good line your diff shouldn't be on the high spots, your tires should hit the high spots.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Good point. I don't have actual measurments, but this picture shows a reasonable difference between my wife's '08 and my '06 which in this picture still has the 2.25"RR lift and 265/70's. I'm still running these tires so my ground clearance has not increased. In fact, after I added the 4" lift, I installed the RR supersliders, negating any rocker clearance advantage I had just gained. But I've been on them enough to know they're worth the money.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
great picture, it really shows a great difference. Keep in mind that if anyone is running a 2.25 RR lift and 265/75's your actual increase in height is 3.25" lift and tires included.

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts
fishdaddy13 said:
so if i get a 2.25 lift i will not get a 2.25 increase in ground ciearance at the rear diff
No.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
kmax said:
Good point. I don't have actual measurments, but this picture shows a reasonable difference between my wife's '08 and my '06 which in this picture still has the 2.25"RR lift and 265/70's. I'm still running these tires so my ground clearance has not increased. In fact, after I added the 4" lift, I installed the RR supersliders, negating any rocker clearance advantage I had just gained. But I've been on them enough to know they're worth the money.

]
You didn't need to lift to fit the 265/70 tires, did you? Don't those fit without lifting?

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
fishdaddy13 said:
so if i get a 2.25 lift i will not get a 2.25 increase in ground ciearance at the rear diff
A 2.25" lift will give you exactly zero increase in ground clearance at the rear differential. If you want to gain clearance under the diff, you're going to have to install some bigger tires.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
TR4Runner said:
You didn't need to lift to fit the 265/70 tires, did you? Don't those fit without lifting?
I know of some people running these without a lift. I am running them with a 2.25 lift and they are great. they may work without the lift but there will be rubbing. the XK is limited by its wheel wells opening front to back and on top of the tire. The lift helps keep the widest part of the tire (across hub center) from coming up into the wheel well and making contact.

This is the tire fully tucked into the wheel well with the lift. Imagine if the tire was 2 inches farther into the wheel well, there would be serious contact.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Okay, I see. For some reason, I was thinking that the Commander's stock tires were the same size as the 4Runner. But now I realize that they are not. The reason I asked is because the 4Runner comes with 265/65/17 and most guys move up to 265/70/17 without lifting and don't get any rub. One size up isn't a big deal, but I guess that's more than one size on a Commander. My mistake.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
TR4Runner-
There was even minor rubbing with the 2.25" lift and the 265/70's. The XK and WK were not blessed with large wheel wells. I suppose Jeep didn't anticipate people modifying this platform on a wide scale basis. By contrast, Jeep makes the new Wrangler with huge wheel wells because so many people fit larger wheels and tires on those. With a 4" lift, you can fit 37's on a new JK with minor rubbing, 35's with no rubbing. The 4-Runners and XTerras all seem to have nicely sized wheel wells also, it's us Jeep guys that for some reason got short changed. Even the older ZJ's and WJ's have really small wheel wells. Frustrating.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Yeah, that's odd. It doesn't seem to be a big deal from a cost perspective to make the wheel wells oversized. It certainly doesn't look bad either, so I'm surprised that they are so small. What really puzzles me is that I've seen some members here with really big tires on their Commanders, but I never paid much attention to how much of a lift they needed for those tires.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts