Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently I added a transmission temp gauge and I have been watching it. The sending unit is in the pan and it may read a little high. The other day while stopped in traffic on the Interstate the reading was 260. The life of the transmission is directly related to the temperature of the fluid.

I added a second transmission cooler in series with the factory one.

Here are the pictures.

The factory cooler is only about 3 inches tall. It is behind the new add on cooler and in front of the A/C condenset and radiator.

The add on cooler will probably triple the cooling area.

The fittings allow you to connect the hose with a hose clamp. I wrapped the fittings with teflon tape to prevent leaking.

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I routed the cold line (bottom line) from the factory cooler to the input, (top line) on the new cooler and then routed the bottom line to the return line to the transmission. I connected these two lines with a barbed union and hose clamps. The effect it to create a much larger amount of surface area for the cooler. I considered adding a fan to the front to blow air thru the coolers but there is an electric fan on the inside of the radiator that pulls air in addition to the engine fan. The new cooler is mounted below the factory cooler and is attached to the A/C condenser with the push thru plastic clamps. There are four bolts that are easy to get to so that you can move the condenser forward to start the plastic ties.

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I will see how this effects the temp over the next few days and let you know. I will also see if it has any effect on the A/C temp. The A/C is about the coldest one that I have had in any car.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Did you think about just adding the aftermarket cooler in place of the stock instead of having both? What's the difference between the temps now?

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just finished it, will see tomorrow what the temps are. Adding the two coolers gave me more surface area than just replacing the factory one. They are in series.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Interesting! I would be much more in need of this cooler due to the high temp in here

Questions:
What would be the normal range of the transmission temp?
How much did it cost you?
Does the extra cooler add any restriction to the fluid flow?

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
My AC in the house broke for two days, thought about living in the XK. Good job Hueypilot.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I figure that would help out a bunch with the extra surface area. Hopefully it won't be much strain on the circulation.

a49erFan said:
My AC in the house broke for two days, thought about living in the XK. Good job Hueypilot.
LOL! I had the same thing happen to me. I spent a weekend trying to come up with any excuse to go out in the XK just for the A/C. It was 90 degrees out with 85% humidity. I also live on the 4th (top) floor in my building. My place got so hot it was unbearable.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My AC is not very cold at all. I thought it was because there was so much more air to cool down. Does it take a long time for your cabin to cool down?...(only those in 100+ temps need reply).

Bill, How exactly would the extra Trans-Cooler affect the AC temperature?

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ahmed said:
Interesting! I would be much more in need of this cooler due to the high temp in here

Questions:
What would be the normal range of the transmission temp?
How much did it cost you?
Does the extra cooler add any restriction to the fluid flow?
Ahmed,

I am measuring the temperature in the pan which may be higher than in the line but I was concerned because it got as high as 260 in stopped traffic. I somewhere read a chart that showed a reduction in transmisson life by half for every 10 degrees over normal temps. I think normal would be more like 220 or even less. I will see what the gauge reads now, I just completed adding the cooler last night.

It did not cost much, about $40 or $50 dollars and a little more for small parts. It only took about an hours time to install.

The second cooler has the same size tubes and hoses so I do not think that there would be any restriction. Actually a small amount of restriction would give the cooler longer to cool down the fluid.

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AJ,

I have been impressed with the A/C in my commander from the start. Even here in Arizona, I just use the remote start and within a minute or two the cabin is cool. I usually push the button for recirculate and it blows cold air very quickly.

I am wondering how the extra cooler in front of the A/C condenser will effect it. I considered putting an electric fan in front of the cooler to blow air thru it but I looked inside the shroud and there is an electric fan that pulls air from the inside. I will let you know if there is any negative effect.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Is there any place here in AZ that would be recommended to check it out? I had the valve-stem replaced on the AC line because it was weeping. I do not see any current leaks. It just sucks that mine isn't blowing as cold as it should.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I am going to add a trans cooler my self. I was wondering if it was possible if you could post up some pictures of the trans temp gauge and where is it mounted and everything i want to add a temp gauge, volt gauge, to my jeep but do know where to put them. I would appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Do you have the extra factory transmission cooler that goes with the tow package or no?

·
Registered
735 Posts
i am not sure if i do.(if that was directed to me)

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Bsnyder717,

Here is the link to the thread with the pictures of the sending unit and carbon fiber pod with the gauges.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5253

If you are going to add the second cooler or even a first one it might be easier to place a tee in the coolent line and place your sending unit for the temp gauge there. I wanted a drain plug and I also think that the hottest temperatures are measured in the pan.

Here is another chart.

http://www.digi-panel.com/digidevicesweb/trannyoil.htm

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PolarBZ said:
Do you have the extra factory transmission cooler that goes with the tow package or no?
PolarBZ,

I have the towing package, but the trans cooler is small, it is 1/4 the size of the aftermarket one.

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I've only heard my trans cooler kick in a few times when I was offroading in some hot temps - other than that, it stays quiet.

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I just got back from taking the Commander to the dealer for the power steering pump noise and I checked the temps on the transmission gauge. It never got above 210 even when stopped in traffic. Much lower than before.

The temperature outside was 108 and the A/C was as cold as ever so it does not seem to be having any negative effect.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts