Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys! mines a early 06 with the rec nav with boston accoustics and with no rear cam.i want to add my rockford fosgate and my 2 12" alpine type S. i know i need a interface module for the line out but witch ones do you suggest? also thinking about upgrading to an aftermarket nav system later on so is there an interface module that can do both like only line out for now but all is there for when im ready to upgrade the head unit?

any suggestion on where to mount the amp? my subs are in a case so i can remove them when needed so i need to unplug thats for sure.
is there room behind the rear left panel? i believe thats where the factory amp is right?

thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
There is a little room, but I couldn't fit my older 500 watt amp in there. I removed the plastic jack/tools holder piece and installed my amp under the 3rd row seat. If you decide to put it there just make sure you leave enough room between the bottom of the seat and the amp so that you can still put up/down the seat.

Other than a line out converter and the typical amp wiring kit you don't need anything special. I didn't use a LOC so I don't have a recommendation, and I'm not sure what you are asking for with the future radio upgrade question.. all new NAV units will have rca outs, so you won't need the LOC if/when you upgrade.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I mounted my speaker amp (i had the basic stock sound system) in the indent in the back left panel and its fits and looks perfect. Depending on how big your amp is that could work. As for behind the panels there isnt much room on the left side and behind the right there is none. Ill get some pictures of my set up and post pictures soon. Im waiting on an enclosure to come in to go with the rest of the box I made that is custom (i removed my third row and made a box to fit perfectly in there) Also when im talking about right and left it is as if I was looking in from the back of the car.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a little room, but I couldn't fit my older 500 watt amp in there. I removed the plastic jack/tools holder piece and installed my amp under the 3rd row seat. If you decide to put it there just make sure you leave enough room between the bottom of the seat and the amp so that you can still put up/down the seat.

Other than a line out converter and the typical amp wiring kit you don't need anything special. I didn't use a LOC so I don't have a recommendation, and I'm not sure what you are asking for with the future radio upgrade question.. all new NAV units will have rca outs, so you won't need the LOC if/when you upgrade.
is your truck equipped with the boston accoustics amp and if so what did you use as a line out converter? the ones i see all says fits with basic systems and not amplified.and as for the head unit upgrade i saw the PAC modules and it seems to be at least 2 models that lets you have line outs and the possibility to change the head unit too! and yos i know the all come with line outs now but this module would let me plug my amp for now and then when im ready plug a new head unit and plug the amp directly in the head unit then.not sure thats why im asking!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yes it has the Boston Acoustics system but I didn't use a LOC, my amp has high level inputs so I just used them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it has the Boston Acoustics system but I didn't use a LOC, my amp has high level inputs so I just used them.
thanks for the reply! my amp has high level inputs too so my question is did you tap behind the head unit or at the factory amp outputs?any diagrams or pics ? there should only be 5 wires to tap? remote and the left and right rear outputs?

thanks again!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I tapped at the amp in the rear because I have no plans of replacing the headunit. If I was thinking about replacing the headunit I would have tapped up front so the RCA's would be run already for the new radio.

I ran a remote from the front, so 4 wires off the amp.

I found the diagrams at
http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_audio_pinouts.htm
which is the same for the Commander.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks a lot for the infos!i will try that option .ill try from the amp cuz like you said in front its useless with all new head units have them built in.
now to find that amp! my truck is a very early 06 and the cup holder is plastic welded in the back so i removed the a/c bezel and peek inside and didnt see it!is it small?
im trying to make sure i have it!it says boston accoustics speakers and 275watts amplifier on the option sheet but i saw a post stating that i should have a badge on the front door panels.. i dont!

·
Registered
117 Posts
My 07 has door badging for BA.
You could verify by turning the fade all the way to the front and listening to the sounds that come out of the door speakers. On the BA system the doors only play mid bass, and the tweeters are up in the dash. So if you hear any highs from the doors you don't have BA.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
thanks a lot for the infos!i will try that option .ill try from the amp cuz like you said in front its useless with all new head units have them built in.
now to find that amp! my truck is a very early 06 and the cup holder is plastic welded in the back so i removed the a/c bezel and peek inside and didnt see it!is it small?
im trying to make sure i have it!it says boston accoustics speakers and 275watts amplifier on the option sheet but i saw a post stating that i should have a badge on the front door panels.. i dont!
The 2006 models didn't have the Boston Acoustics badge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts