Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
277 Posts
Umm...if you have a cargo liner, have you looked underneath it? You should already have a 3rd row seat, unless the previous owner of your XK removed it (like a select few here have done, to install sweet cargo boxes and other stuff). I've read my fair share of articles and threads, and I've never seen one that indicated any XKs were coming off the line without 3rd row seats...pull out the cargo liner, and you may be pleasantly surprised.

p.s. Welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Third row delete was an option, I am not sure we have any members who have a commander without the third row seat and I never went to the dealer to look at them so I do not know if the hardware is there to add a seat. I know several members here have sold their third row so they are available if anyone can help the OP on the question of "Is it possible?"

·
Banned
277 Posts
Third row delete was an option
Well, ya learn something new everyday...thanks 49er. Sorry PIMPEYES, I wasn't aware of this option. Regardless, you should still pull out the cargo liner and snap some pics of whatever is under it, so we know what we're working with. Then maybe the guys that have removed their seats can chime in since they're more familiar with the mounting locations, hardware, and such.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I believe the mount bolts are all there as the cargo floor is a plastic tray that sits slightly below the door opening, with a small ramped cover for the jack compartment. The rear trim panels are different since there's no rear air available with the 3rd seat delete, and there are no seatbelts either.

·
2,248 Posts
As I recall the seat belts were attached and came out with the third row seat at the same time. I gave mine away so I really can't help with finding one.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I actually have a 2009 with the third row seat delete option, so we do have one on the boards.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I actually have a 2009 with the third row seat delete option, so we do have one on the boards.
Very cool, now you have to answer the OPs questions and we get to look in. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just so you know, you don't get full or even half leg room. Just imagine sitting in a position with your knees to your chest. Most members on here I believe have removed it and put a storage box in. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Very cool, now you have to answer the OPs questions and we get to look in. :)
I could check and see what it looks like under that nifty black plastic diamond plate floor in the back, but it will take me about four days to get around to it. I have casually look at it before, and it was not obvious how to get the floor up to see what's under it, but I'm it's possible.

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts
Just so you know, you don't get full or even half leg room. Just imagine sitting in a position with your knees to your chest. Most members on here I believe have removed it and put a storage box in. Just an FYI.
A few have removed it but not most. The third row is ok for small adults and kids.

·
Banned
277 Posts
Found this schematic of the 3rd row seat and brackets - hopefully this might help a little bit:

·
Registered
862 Posts
When I took mine out, I remember the entire (heavy) seat was a complete unit, sub-frame, seat belts, release latch 'n' all. It mounts into threaded holes in the floor, which I would think are there in all Commanders.

I used some of those seat mounting holes to attach my cargo box setup.

I still have my seat. It's gray leather. It would have to be truck shipped though, as it's pushing 100 lbs. and awkward to crate up.

And... as mentioned, we're talking about a seat for 8 year olds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you still have your 3rd row seat?

When I took mine out, I remember the entire (heavy) seat was a complete unit, sub-frame, seat belts, release latch 'n' all. It mounts into threaded holes in the floor, which I would think are there in all Commanders.

I used some of those seat mounting holes to attach my cargo box setup.

I still have my seat. It's gray leather. It would have to be truck shipped though, as it's pushing 100 lbs. and awkward to crate up.

And... as mentioned, we're talking about a seat for 8 year olds.
I just picked up an 08 Commander Sport without the 3rd row seat. If you still have yours, shoot me an email with how much you want for it and where you are located. I'm in Nashville but I'm willing to drive a good distance to score one for a reasonable price. Thanks! Gary

·
Registered
3 Posts
Adding 3rd row seat

Been following this thread. I have an 08 Commander that did not come with a 3rd row seat ( company car and I chose not to pay for it out of pocket). I've decided to buy the car because I love it so much and now, of course, want to add a third row seat. I've explored taking out the plastic cargo liner to see if the guts needed to add a third row are there. I think they are!. Getting the plastic cargo liner out was VERY easy.
1. Took the jack cover off
2. Pulled off the cover closest to the liftgate hitch. 4 simple attachments that let go with minimal effort.
3. Two nuts ( 10mm ) and that was it.

I've taken picts of what's under everything. Looks like a 3rd seat could be installed in 5 minutes. Now I just need to find one. I'll post the pics as soon as I figure out how.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone; New here But I have been thinking about doing the same thing (adding 3rd Row) What about the carpet or doesn't the 3rd rown have carpet?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts
Hello everyone; New here But I have been thinking about doing the same thing (adding 3rd Row) What about the carpet or doesn't the 3rd rown have carpet?
Thanks
Commanders with factory 3rd row have carpet.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I just added 14 ft for about 7500. That includes concrete floor, 2 foot concrete wall (Garage is on side of hill) labor and new rafters for the entire garage.Guess it depends on where you live.
SPAMMER - actually, Holmes on Homes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone please buy something from this idiot - make him go away.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I just added 14 ft for about 7500. That includes concrete floor, 2 foot concrete wall (Garage is on side of hill) labor and new rafters for the entire garage.Guess it depends on where you live.
SPAMMER - actually, Holmes on Homes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana_hitit:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts