Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm trying to add air to tires and not getting anywere. what is the trick. i did a search and this is the 1st car i ever owed were there was a tire sensor. if anyone wants too buy it, has 64k on it, i'll take 11.500 for it. what ever happen too just putting air in a tire?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
There is no "trick". Putting air in the tires hasn't changed.

Take a screw driver and press the valve core to make sure its not seized shut. If you can depress it and air comes out, then you're filling it up wrong or your inflator is broke.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my a/c gives out 180 psi. i can go over too my tractor tire and put air in that. what are the sleeves that go over the stem. are those suppose too come off or loosened? what is scary is having a sensor for a tire. maybe all 4 stems are messed up, cause i can not put air in any of them? makes no sense to me! tires need to be replaced, i'm thinking 64k on them and never been rotated. i brought this a week ago, i'll need new tires before winter. thats for sure! thanks for your input!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, i got it now2. i changed air inflator nozzles and it worked great. guess it didn't like the 1st one. when i brought this car,all four of the stem caps were missing. the back tire only had 20psi in it. so the red flags were flying. i just rebuilt the motors on two old tractors, so filling air would be simple right! NOT!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Ok, nice to hear you figured it out. If / when you buy some valve stem caps make sure to get regular plastic ones. You cant use metal ones, they will cause some kind of corrosion on the stem and more problems will arise.

·
Administrator
15,206 Posts
ok, i got it now2. i changed air inflator nozzles and it worked great. guess it didn't like the 1st one. when i brought this car,all four of the stem caps were missing. the back tire only had 20psi in it. so the red flags were flying. i just rebuilt the motors on two old tractors, so filling air would be simple right! NOT!
Don't put metal caps on they will corrode the stems and then you WILL have to replace them. They come from the factory with plastic caps for a reason.

·
Administrator
15,206 Posts
Ok, nice to hear you figured it out. If / when you buy some valve stem caps make sure to get regular plastic ones. You cant use metal ones, they will cause some kind of corrosion on the stem and more problems will arise.
You beat me to it !

·
Registered
141 Posts
Standard plastic caps are not what you want.

TPMS stems come with plastic caps that have a rubber seal inside to keep out moisture.

NAPA ususally carries them.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
And correct me if I'm wrong, but are NOT the OEM caps painted aluminum color to match the stem? So, the caps look metal, but they are really plastic that looks like metal until you feel them. At least that is the case for my 2010.

·
Administrator
15,206 Posts
And correct me if I'm wrong, but are NOT the OEM caps painted aluminum color to match the stem? So, the caps look metal, but they are really plastic that looks like metal until you feel them. At least that is the case for my 2010.
That is correct.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts