Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies if this has already been addressed. My search did not find it.

I'd love to have a 12 volt outlet inside the center console storage bin. This has been a common feature on vehicles for several years. I'd rather hide the clutter of a cell phone charger and MP3 player charger in there rather than have it dangling out of the console by the shifter. I've got the UConnect feature on my 2007 Overland, so my cell phone can live in the bin just fine.

Has anyone done this? I don't need another circuit- I'd just tap into the switched outlet on the center console. I'd like to hear about parts disassembly and wire routing to run the wires through the center console.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
This has not been posted here before, you would be a first. Great idea however!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If anybody has a shop manual, photos, and/or insight, I'd be willing to use that information to investigate and devise an approach that may be of interest to folks.

I basically want to tap into the aux power port that's already present on the center console, run the added wires underneath the center console "tunnel" that houses the gear shifter, and bring them into the center console bin, all out of view.

I'd like to find a place to mount an aux power jack in the bin, preferably by just cutting a hole in a bottom wall of the bin so that the back end of the jack is hidden, perhaps living in the center console tunnel, with the socket accessible inside the bin.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't have a service manual, or anything to help you out, but I would LOVE that. I've rented Dodge Calibers before, and they all have 12v outlets in the consoles, so it's not like Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep doesn't know how to do it. It amazes me how so few cars have them. It's ridiculously convenient. Go for it!

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts
The 2009s have a 115 volt outlet on the back of the console.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I'm thinking about it since I have the hole for the ipod cable drilled into the compartment but moved the cable to the glove box instead. If I do it I'll get some pics of the install. The only issue might be the clearance of the plug housing under the cup holders.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Just an FYI - I had the console out on mine. If you study the console, you will notice that the cup holder on the passenger side is not as deep as the drivers side. Also, the bin is offset to the drivers side. The reason for this is there is a plastic tunnel under the passenger cup holder and the change holder in the bin. This tunnel is a heat duct to the rear of the console registers. So, be careful where you drill!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Just an FYI - I had the console out on mine. If you study the console, you will notice that the cup holder on the passenger side is not as deep as the drivers side. Also, the bin is offset to the drivers side. The reason for this is there is a plastic tunnel under the passenger cup holder and the change holder in the bin. This tunnel is a heat duct to the rear of the console registers. So, be careful where you drill!
Plus, that helps keep my coffee warm when the heat is on. :rofl:

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
The outlet (110v) is 2 prong. Most things I would plug in there are 3 prong.

So barring an adapter, what would you plug in there.....an electric razor, a coffee pot, 110v cellphone charger. But it is highly unlikey I would plug a razor or coffee pot there...... what else???

·
2,248 Posts
Cico,

It is kinda hard to get a true ground when you are rolling along on four rubber tires...lol

You could plug in a laptop, a dvd player, most small low wattage items.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Cico,

It is kinda hard to get a true ground when you are rolling along on four rubber tires...lol
Yes, exactly. but most things have 3 prongs. My laptop is 3 prong, the charger for a portable dvd player may be 2 prong. Of course, you can always snip the ground off the three prong....Maybe I read too much into this. Just trying to figure out what to plug in there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hidden 12 power outlets and Aux in

I have recently installed my Sirius Sat Radio and GPS into my 06 and now have no front 12 volt outlets free.

I would like to install a couple of the 12 volt outlets somewhere under/behind the dash. Then I would run my Sat radio and GPS plugs to them, thus hiding more of the wires.

Has anyone done or thought about doing this? I would like to come off of the switched drivers side outlet.

Secondly, my Sat radio is plugged into the front any chance my Single CD base model REF has a rear Audio in??

Any thoughts would be great:)

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
take apart the dash and pull the center console out. there is plenty of room up under there to wire into the supplied power and hide all your wires under there.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
The dash pannel comes out fairly easily so it is easy enough to add power supplies.
I added a converter for my GPS and XM for the power.

The rec has only 1 external output jack. I took my radio out and added a plug to the jack. Now i can still use the jack (not at the same time) for other things.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Where is the invertor for the 115 located and any idea how many watts it is?? Has anyone built in an aftermarket invertor??

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Where is the invertor for the 115 located and any idea how many watts it is?? Has anyone built in an aftermarket invertor??
It's only 150 Watts

That's too light-wieght for anything but a charger basicly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Yes, exactly. but most things have 3 prongs. My laptop is 3 prong, the charger for a portable dvd player may be 2 prong. Of course, you can always snip the ground off the three prong....Maybe I read too much into this. Just trying to figure out what to plug in there.
Some inverters have a floating netural, that could be a reaosn it has no ground pin?

I'm thinking it's mainly for electronic devices so you don't have to use your 12 volt charger ... liek passengers with a video game or lap top chargers ... a simple 3 to two adapter will make them all work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts