Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PIcked up my wife's new Commander today. Jeep Green, Saddle leather, Hemi, backup camera, Navigation, and DVD player. So I signed all the papers. I am fixing to drive off I notice. No HITCH! Dang I need that to pull the boat. I had specified before I needed the hitch I guess when they located this one for me. They overlooked it. Well its like a $260 option. Well to have it installed at the dealer is $589 plus tax! OUCH....anyone have this done after the fact? How much did it cost. DId they install the 7pin connector? I called a local hitch place. They said $160 for the Hitch but they could not do the wiring because it would void my warranty. What are my options here?

·
Registered
204 Posts
The Mopar harness is seperate, you could have your hitch installed wearever and add the Mopar wiring. The Mopar wiring does come with a 7 pin, and it is fairly easy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Installed One My Self. Not To Hard Just Don't Cut To Much Off. Wiring Is Easy But Have To Get Under The Jeep For The Electric Brake In The Seven Way Wiring. Did It In A Few Hours

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JEEPPARTSMAN said:
Installed One My Self. Not To Hard Just Don't Cut To Much Off. Wiring Is Easy But Have To Get Under The Jeep For The Electric Brake In The Seven Way Wiring. Did It In A Few Hours

I found this website. Does these prices look reasonable? http://www.autotrucktoys.com/jeep_commander/Jeep-Commander-Towing-Accessories-C3333.aspx Also I did not see the wiring on this website. Did you get that from the dealer? The sales guy told me if the dealer did not do it themselves that it could void my factory warranty?

·
Registered
85 Posts
My dealer basically told me to go to a privately owned store to have the hitch installed. They said as long as the store is recommended by Chrysler (U-haul for example) it would have no effect on the warranty. I ended up buying a Commander with a hitch package, so I didn't have to mess with installing the hitch.

P.S. How much weight are you going to be towing? Without the tow package, you don't get heavy duty engine coolant, etc. That's not important unless you are near the Commander's towing limit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
my dealer installed it for 255.00. you can use the free 25.00 off coupon towards it jeep sent you . also you can get the jeep credit card and earn points towards it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The dealer added the Tow Pkg and Off Road Group at the option cost. As a matter of fact it was done today.

They squirmed a little but they wanted the sale.

-mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does anyone happen to have the part numbers for the hitch, bezel, and wiring? My dad has a dealer account and I'd like to see if I can get it cheaper through him. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I went to pick up the commader yesterday after it had the hitch installed. Well whatever incompetent idiot" I use this term loosely" put the hitch on. Well he overcut the back bumper cover. So you can see all kinds of jagged cuts around the bezel! Look like he took a pair of chanelocks and just broke off pieces instead of cutting with a cut off wheel or some kind of shears... Well I told them there was no way I was picking it up like that. So I will be calling them this morning see what they are going to do about it! Especially after telling me I could not do it myself because it would void my warranty!!! I would have done a perfect job and it would have been alot less expensive! Took me a few hours to settle down last night after I saw their crappy work!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE... The dealer took care of it. They actually pulled the bumper off of a Commader they had on the lot brand new that had the factory tow package. and put it on my commander. So My Commander looks great. I am glad they took care of it!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I am going to the Dallas RV show this weekend. I want another trailer.

based on what I am reading: The dealer price will be from $250 up to a left nut or $500. I should get something "chrysler approved" from Uhaul or Joe's hitch.

Anyone know if an aftermarket one from a place like Uhaul will have to have the bumper cut or will they hang lower than that?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Picked out a nice travel trailer today. have to wait on the hitch. No one was there that could tell me what they would get. The dealer told me $400 installed when I was up there this weekend. I might buy one from that link I saw in another thread and install the hitch myself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts