Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I finally got around to attempting my Rough Country lift today. Everything was going spledidly until I realized that I needed a 24mm socket for the bottom of the strut. The biggest I had was a 21mm. Problem. I'm not supposed to leave work "unfinished" in the apartment parking lot so I thought I was done. I thought I might be able to just angle the strut forward without actually removing it and get the spacer on that way. Without removing the bolt at the bottom of the strut there was no way I was going to get it back together once I put the spacer on. I gave up at this point. I put everything back together and drove to the hardware store to get a 24mm socket. At least everything went back together faster than when I took it apart.

So was there a way to add the spacer without removing the strut completely? I seemed to be limited by the brake line.

Gabe

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I should clarify. Not so much a problem with the Rough Country product but more with the instructions. At the beginning it lists all of the tools you will need. The 24mm socket was not on the list. It just made me a little grumpy this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Im not sure how my lift kit differs from yours but I had to totally take the strut/spring out and use a spring compressor to replace the top strut plate with the new one provided by BDS. The new top strut plate is the actual spacer provided to lift the front end. Im assuming your spacers just bolt on to the exhisting top strut plate. Did your instuctions say you have to take the strut fork bolt/nut off?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It did...but I tried to get away with not doing it since I didn't have the required 24mm socket. I bought it this evening but I won't get to it until tomorrow now if the weather is good. I really have to get my jeep ready before next weekend. I want to be able to enjoy the badlands!!!!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I guess I should clarify. Not so much a problem with the Rough Country product but more with the instructions.
I edited your title so others would not think the problem was with the brand of lift itself!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I have the Rough Country lift. If you don't completely remove the struts, I see no way that you will be able to bolt on the spacer. There just isn't enough room , plus you have to grind off a little of the studs on top of the strut in order for them to fit within the spacer and not bottom out. you will see exactly what I'm referring to when you get to that point.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I installed mine about a month ago, i had to disconnect the drive shaft to get the strut out. Instructions are not for four wheel drive. You definitely need to grind the strut studs, or you could add one of those 1/4" spacers between the strut and the RC lift, that would work great. I'm sure we'll enjoy the badlands either way. Good luck gettin the lift in. It's actually easier than it seems. The bottom strut bolt was a PITA to get out because it was pretty corroded on mine it took about an hour per side just to get that one bolt out. Hope it goes easier for you. Look forward to seeing you next week.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I did not have to remove drive shaft, but I have the 3.7. Maybe that makes a difference. i thought the directions were pretty good compared to other products that you buy. The only snag we ran into is on the left rear. The trailing arm won't drop enough because of the gas tank skid plate. Drop the skid plate, and it's no problem. Don't remove the trailing arm from the rear. It will be a bear to get back attached. Also the instructions dont mention using a spring compressor. You need one.

·
Registered
135 Posts
When I did mine, I found it handy to remove the lower strut fork, stick the strut in and then re-attach the fork. Seemed to me that was the only way I had enough clearance to put the strut/spacer back in.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally my lift is in!!! 5 hours from cracking the tool box to putting everything away!

Smitty was right a spring compressor would have made the rear so much easier. It wasn't too bad on the passenger side but the tank skid plate on the driver side prevented the axle from dropping as much. Getting the spring out was easy enough. Putting it back in..not so much. Finally, some guy in the apartment parking lot pulled in next to me and I asked him to bounce on the rotor so I could get the top part of the spring popped into place. After that it was no problem.

While I had the wheels off for the lift I put my spidertrax spacers on.

Gripes:

A warning about the skid plate in the instructions would have been nice.(Yes, I know someone on the forum gave me a heads up or I would have been still out there.

Tiny gripe: The bolts used for the rear spacers require a 17mm socket not the 15mm one that the instructions indicate.

It looks great though. I can't wait to get my BFG's on!!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Congrats !! I've been in the collision repair industry for almost 20 years so I feel that I have some mechanicle ability. With that being said, a co-worker and I put in my lift. Now he is very experianced, has every tool imaginable, and we were at work with access to any tools,lifts, whatever,and it took us right at 3 hours. So I think you did well given your workspace and environment. Post some pics for us.:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ok, here are my before and after shots.

Before and After

After and Before. I really like how the extra .25" spacer in the front got rid of the rake.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Looks great, some people like the rake but I for one was glad to see it gone!

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
It definitely improves the profile of the XK without compromising the ride. Wow CommanderChaos- your Jeep looks almost just like mine- looks great- not that I'm being partial to stone white with a lift- well, maybe a little. IMG_0790.JPG

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Congrats Gabe. Looking good. And those BFG's will make it even better. Have fun this weekend. Is Josh going with you?

·
Registered
444 Posts
That is the exact same setup I have. Love and soon to have some poctures up, when I start up my Commander4Lyfe's Garage thread in the near future.

·
Registered
809 Posts
So I didn't see it stated anywhere in the RC instructions to actually separate the upper control arm nor to remove the drive shaft durring the strut removal/install, but I can't seem to get enough room without doing at least one of these. Even with a spring compressor the space is too limited. The picture (fig. 18) looks like they disassembled the upper ball joint- did anyone else? Any tips on how to get this completed would be greatly appreciated. Right now the rear is in the air and the nose grinding on the ground!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts