Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This in our '97 Safari Continental. She weighs in at 29,500 lbs., and is 40 feet long. The front axle weight alone is equal to TWO Jeep Commanders. :)

Here's a close up of the mural on the curb side. There's an elephant on the back, and a lion on the street side.

All tucked in at our favorite campsite... Elk Meadows, north of Trout Lake WA. on forest road 88.

549 cubic inches of ''Kitty Cat'' resides under the bed. Its 1,000+ lb.-ft. of torque will pull the Commander at the speed limit up a 6% grade. Believe it or not, we average 9.5 MPG. The shiny item is an upgraded PAC brake (Exhaust brake) I installed last year.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Awesome! So what do you get MPG with that?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Nice, Now where are the pics of the Commander?

·
Super Moderator
15,102 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah... (DUH) the Commander...

Nice, Now where are the pics of the Commander?
I guess you would want a pix of the Commander 'eh? :icon_redface:

Taken on New Year Day... at the Lake Lenor Caves entrance road... about 30 ~ 40 miles north of Soap Lake WA.

A little muddin'

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome! So what do you get MPG with that?
What's ridiculous is the Dodge Durango (that I just traded in for the Commander) with a chipped Magnum 5.9L V-8 actually competed with the coach for MPG. I was doing good to get 9 MPG in town, which is LESS than the 34,500 total lbs. (Coach+towed) gets on the highway.

The Commander weighs about 100 lbs. more than the Durango, so when I get the Blue Ox base plate, aux. braking system, and lighting kits installed, the coach won’t know the difference. The Durango was also full time 4x4, so drag won’t matter either.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
In the "gallery" forum...what brand is that "pitch" and "roll" moniter you have mounted on the dash
I'm not sure who actually makes it, but you can search for ''Jeep Clinometer'' on eBay and the like. Here's one on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__JEEP-CJ-WRANGLER-ROLL-PITCH-CLINOMETER-W-LIGHT_W0QQitemZ370140162710QQadiZ2865QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item370140162710&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A64%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

It's stuck to the dash with Velcro, and I 'snuck' the wire down the windshield crack into the fuse area. I just found a fuse that powers up with ignition. (I'm lazy) Later, when I dig into the dash again, I might tap into the instrument lights instead.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Love the action shots of the Commander. Wish I had a camper that size but no place to park it and not enough time to use it.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's a couple more.

The obligitory ''peeking over the sand dune'' shot:

Coming in for a landing:
(The view from the top of the sand dune in the above photo)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
More pictures.

First of all, pardon my cheesy photos. My ''real'' camera is home. (A Fujifilm 9mp dSLR) My Fujifilm E500 which is a point 'n' click is all I have here at the shop right now. It's my pack-around digital because it's good enough for accident shots, or catching something during the daily commute.

Anyway, here's my 140 lumen Cree converted 3 D-cell Maglight in its snap brackets, a 2lb. All Fire foam extinguisher, and a rescue window breaker and seatbelt slicer, all mounted for easy grabs.

Above... a modified Parrot Bluetooth handsfree 'phone setup. I hacksawed the cigarette lighter plug off of it, and used Velcro to stick it to the sunroof trim. The little thing to its left is a microphone clipped to the sunroof trim piece. To the right is a Lev-O-Gage which has a BB which rolls back and forth in amber fluid. This is about the 8th vehicle and 2nd Jeep that thing's been in. :)

On the center of the dash is a clinometer with Jeep graphics. Once again, Velcro. It's lighted, and I ran the wire down the crack of the windshield to the fuse box. The left side is a Lowrance iWay 250c GPS receiver. It's power and speaker wiring is also ran the same way. There's a speaker under the dash so my ''British gal'' can tell me where to go. :D

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A really crappy photo of the GPS:

I actually used (Oh, the horror!!) screws into the dash for this one. It pretty much works as a ''HUD'' display for me. There's enough sky above it to pick up satellites.

·
2,248 Posts
Adondo,

I have a Blue Ox baseplate and towbar setup. I had to modify the "Get Lost" front bumper and skidplate to make it fit. We also flat tow our Commander and we have four sets of graphics on our MH. I don't want to hijack your garage thread. You can see them im my garage. I have been enjoying your posting and input to the forum.

Thanks

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HID lighting:

The ''arming'' switches: (So called because they follow the headlights if they're on)

The front set of Euro pattern HID driving lights:

And lighting up a LOT of road:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Adondo,

I have a Blue Ox baseplate and towbar setup. I had to modify the "Get Lost" front bumper and skidplate to make it fit. We also flat tow our Commander and we have four sets of graphics on our MH. I don't want to hijack your garage thread. You can see them im my garage. I have been enjoying your posting and input to the forum.

Thanks
Why thank you verrrry much.

I need to get a base plate installed too. Not that it's an emergency right now... :D (But come Spring)

By the way, for everyone looking at the photos, enjoy that painted grill while you can. I just snagged a chrome one from eBay. :eek:rangehat:

·
2,248 Posts
You should donate the white grill at the next trail ride. We can decorate it and sentence whoever breaks down or screws up on the trail to wear it on the front of their Commander in place of theirs, ( a 3 minute swap), and then pass it on at their next trail ride to the loser....oops I mean winner.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You should donate the white grill at the next trail ride. We can decorate it and sentence whoever breaks down or screws up on the trail to wear it on the front of their Commander in place of theirs, ( a 3 minute swap), and then pass it on at their next trail ride to the loser....oops I mean winner.
That's a good idea!

Yeah, the Commander grill is pretty hard to swap ain't it? It takes at least 90 seconds or so. :)

We could paint it fluorescent hot pink and put 1960’s hippy era flower stickers all over it. (YOWZA!! :sick:) Now, THAT would be an incentive to do a little preventative maintenance before hitting the trail!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts