Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Appearance: The pictures speak for themselves. It is a nice addition to the engine compartment. Both the K&N and AirAid intakes use a common black tube. The polished tube with the AEM Brute Force looks fantastic and I suspect more durable.

Installation & Fit: The installation was the easiest I've ever experienced...most likely because I paid my mechanic to install it...I know, I know...paying someone else to install it is not in keeping with the Jeep spirit, but I'm a busy man. However, the mechanic said not only did the intake fit perfectly, but it installed exactly like the instructions said it would...which was very surprising since the instructions were for the 5.7L Hemi but in a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It took him 1 hour and 45 minutes, the most difficult part being the removal of the grille. This might be a good time to install that ridiculous looking aftermarket "Limited" mesh grille should you so desire.

Performance: The intake has provided a noticeable improvement in throttle response, especially at speeds faster than 25mph. The throttle response at sub-25mph speeds was improved but is still not want I want it to be or what I think the Hemi is capable of. I believe the Hypertech Programmer, which is my next planned purchase, will fix this problem. I had a Magnaflow performance exhaust installed the day before the intake, which gave the Commander a deep, throaty tone. The addition of the intake provided an additional growl. The Hemi is a mean sounding machine with the performance exhaust and the intake. Also, the AEM uses a dry filter, unlike the K&N and the AirAid, which require the use of oil during the cleaning process. It is difficult to tell how much horsepower has been gained especially since the performance exhaust was installed the day before, but I plan to have the Commander Dyno tested after I reprogram and add a few more upgrades.

Overall: Great looks, mean sound, and moderate performance increase. I highly recommend the AEM Brute Force Intake.

The first picture is of the stock air intake.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sfpsfe/detail?.dir=/d318scd&.dnm=5849scd.jpg&.src=ph
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sfpsfe/detail?.dir=/d318scd&.dnm=fcecscd.jpg&.src=ph
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sfpsfe/detail?.dir=/d318scd&.dnm=8d2ascd.jpg&.src=ph
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sfpsfe/detail?.dir=/d318scd&.dnm=c930scd.jpg&.src=ph

·
Registered
122 Posts
Looks great. I'm just hesitant on the whole hot-air intake idea.
Getting rid of the intake resistance but letting hot air in just doesn't sound right. Probably should be OK when the car is moving when air is not so stagnant in the engine compartment .... but at slow speeds / idle... Hmmmm.

I've seen performance degrade with these open-air intake kits on other vehicles... but when the intake was directed from true cold-air sources (i.e. hood scoop / under bumper mounts) ... more significant gains were seen.

It'd be interesting to get some temperature measurements at the filter location during idle and at speed.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Looks nice!!!

Looking forward to the dyno results. Sounds like you will be pleasantly surprised, based on the feel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Take into consideration that your computer has to re-learn the new breathing capability before you make your final decision on performance gains. It usually takes about 100 miles to be up to par. I like the look, but the metal does not convince me as a good deal. It gets all the heat from the radiator.
The heatshield also has me puzzled. Does the heat shield cover the front like it does in the rear? If so, its not getting clear flow from the front of the grill. Lots of cool air there.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Looks good. Nice performance kick. With my 4.7, something like that would most definately help with performance, but I would be worried about splashing water from water crossings. I like to hit the trails. :cool:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The heat shield is completely open on the other side and has unobstructed airflow through the grille in the same manner as the stock air intake. However, the stock intake used a black plastic tube restricting the airflow. I am already starting to feel greater horsepower as I put more miles on the new intake like you described. I got on it last night and I don't know what scared me more...the sound or the acceleration.

·
Registered
77 Posts
sfpsfe said:
The heat shield is completely open on the other side and has unobstructed airflow through the grille in the same manner as the stock air intake. However, the stock intake used a black plastic tube restricting the airflow. I am already starting to feel greater horsepower as I put more miles on the new intake like you described. I got on it last night and I don't know what scared me more...the sound or the acceleration.
Sweet deal! I cant wait to see it in person.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took a trip this last weekend and the average mpg has risen to 15 mpg where it was 13.3 before. Not a big increase but increased mpg was not my motivation for installing the air intake...increased horsepower, throttle response, and performance sound was. I will let you know if the mpg continues to increase.

·
Registered
12 Posts
sfpsfe said:
I took a trip this last weekend and the average mpg has risen to 15 mpg where it was 13.3 before. Not a big increase but increased mpg was not my motivation for installing the air intake...increased horsepower, throttle response, and performance sound was. I will let you know if the mpg continues to increase.
still a nice little bonus if it does improve the mpg :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Auto Anything sells the intake. It is also on the AEM website.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Looks great! I want to do two these mods badly. I have a perfomance tuner near my house that can do a custom remap for my mods at a cost less than buying a aftermarket plug in programmer. And I'll get much better results.
Where did you get the Magnaflow exhaust? Any links?
Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts