Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Commander Limited 4.7 127,000 miles
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I installed the cold air intake on my 4.7 and I like it. I am thinking that I can easily make a prefilter by removing the paper from the stock filter and mounting 1mm stainless steel mesh to the remaining mesh of the filter. Also I would like to close off the remaining portion of the AFE box so the vast majority of the air will be coming through the existing grill air deflector and not warm air of the engine compartment. I think this will kill 2 birds with one stone by filtering out the large particles ( leaves, grass, bugs, feathers ) before they reach the oil-soaked filter and also get more cold air through the intake. I do not think that an airtight seal of the box is necessary as long as the vast majority of the air comes from outside. Has anyone done this or any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
576 Posts
you could mock something up cutting pieces of cardboard, once you have a shape that you like, commit to metal or composite material. you may want to throw a layer of some insulation in there ... thinking that silver bubble wrap or the like... just make sure what you use doesnt melt, that would be a mess

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you could mock something up cutting pieces of cardboard, once you have a shape that you like, commit to metal or composite material. you may want to throw a layer of some insulation in there ... thinking that silver bubble wrap or the like... just make sure what you use doesnt melt, that would be a mess
I got my modifications done for the AFE Magnum cold air intake. Mounted the stainless screen to the stripped down stock air filter and installed it easily into the box with a little cupping to allow room for the cone filter. I then fabricated a plate to cover the opening of the box up to the aluminum cover leaving 2 tabs at the top to fix with the 2 left cover screws. The bottom edge conveniently tucked into a small gap between the AFE top and the factory bottom. I temporarily stuffed some foam weatherstripping into the small gap at the top between the aluminum cover, if all works well I will mount a rubber seal there. I also improved the stock grill snorkel opening by installing a set screw to secure the snorkel better and then secured the front of the snorkel with a bolt to hold it open closer to the grill. Now the snorkel is not pressed inward by the wind, improving the space behind it by about 1 inch. The weather here has been over 100 degrees lately and this seems Rectangle Wood Font Gas Composite material
Wood Rectangle Grey Flooring Hardwood
Fixture Rectangle Sleeve Gas Font
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design
to have improved my low end torque driving around town, and high rpm torque is still as good as before my modification. I may still seal the box up a little more if needed but so far it seems to have helped by having more fresh air to the engine at low speed.

Attachments

Reactions: patf111

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
I got my modifications done for the AFE Magnum cold air intake. Mounted the stainless screen to the stripped down stock air filter and installed it easily into the box with a little cupping to allow room for the cone filter. I then fabricated a plate to cover the opening of the box up to the aluminum cover leaving 2 tabs at the top to fix with the 2 left cover screws. The bottom edge conveniently tucked into a small gap between the AFE top and the factory bottom. I temporarily stuffed some foam weatherstripping into the small gap at the top between the aluminum cover, if all works well I will mount a rubber seal there. I also improved the stock grill snorkel opening by installing a set screw to secure the snorkel better and then secured the front of the snorkel with a bolt to hold it open closer to the grill. Now the snorkel is not pressed inward by the wind, improving the space behind it by about 1 inch. The weather here has been over 100 degrees lately and this seems View attachment 44504 View attachment 44505 View attachment 44506 View attachment 44509 View attachment 44509 to have improved my low end torque driving around town, and high rpm torque is still as good as before my modification. I may still seal the box up a little more if needed but so far it seems to have helped by having more fresh air to the engine at low speed.
I got my modifications done for the AFE Magnum cold air intake. Mounted the stainless screen to the stripped down stock air filter and installed it easily into the box with a little cupping to allow room for the cone filter. I then fabricated a plate to cover the opening of the box up to the aluminum cover leaving 2 tabs at the top to fix with the 2 left cover screws. The bottom edge conveniently tucked into a small gap between the AFE top and the factory bottom. I temporarily stuffed some foam weatherstripping into the small gap at the top between the aluminum cover, if all works well I will mount a rubber seal there. I also improved the stock grill snorkel opening by installing a set screw to secure the snorkel better and then secured the front of the snorkel with a bolt to hold it open closer to the grill. Now the snorkel is not pressed inward by the wind, improving the space behind it by about 1 inch. The weather here has been over 100 degrees lately and this seems View attachment 44504 View attachment 44505 View attachment 44506 View attachment 44509 View attachment 44509 to have improved my low end torque driving around town, and high rpm torque is still as good as before my modification. I may still seal the box up a little more if needed but so far it seems to have helped by having more fresh air to the engine at low speed.
I have the same AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 Intake System with Pro 5R Filter - less the screen from the stock filter.

I've had it for about 4 years now, it's worthwhile MOD.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have the same AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 Intake System with Pro 5R Filter - less the screen from the stock filter.

I've had it for about 4 years now, it's worthwhile MOD.
I noticed that when I first installed the AFE Intake it lacked power compared to the stock system when accelerating around town. The temperatures here at the time were above 100 degrees so I assumed the intake was lacking power to the engine because of even higher temp. air coming from the engine bay. That is why I decided to try making the AFE box so it would draw more cold air. This seems to have improved my power but it could also be partly because I did not disconnect the battery when I installed the AFE intake system, but I did disconnect the battery ( to clear the computer memory) when I did the modifications. The filter screen was an afterthought because here a lot of pine needles, grass, bugs and feathers are always getting into my air filter. It will be easier to clean my screen filter from time to time than a prefilter sock. I really like this AFE Intake mostly when merging onto the freeway, big difference from stock. I can easily remove my modifications to the AFE intake in about 5 minutes to make comparisons and I probably will.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts