Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my AFE cold air intake system over the weekend and I love this mod. The throttle response improved and I got a slight bump in fuel economy when driving conservatively. The HEMI sounds much better now under the hood when I accelerate on the freeway.

I have a question for those of you who have installed this on a HEMI, did you guys have problems with the coolant reservoir being in the way of the AFE air box/shield? The reservoir wasn't allowing the box's tabs to enter the slots of the lower OEM air box. It seems like the only solution is to move the reservoir slightly back then it'll sit well but I haven't had a chance to mess with it.

Right now it's just laying there on top of the lower half of the OEM box just being held mostly by the intake tube that goes to the TB. It doesn't move around much but it does vibrate. Have you guys found a solution?

I recorded a video for YouTube with an overview of the installation along with before and after sounds that I'll be posting once I'm done editing and I'll share it with you guys too. In the video I mentioned my problem and you'll be able to see better what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the video I put together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mm7PlurUgw

There's also a note in the video about how the hemi sounds when the RPMs go back down to idling RPMs. It sounds strange to me. Has anybody heard that too?

·
Super Moderator
14,912 Posts
Nice instructional video. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
479 Posts
Great video, I've also been looking at the AFE for mine. Just a note, your coolant reservoir looks different than mine, which is on a 2006 Hemi. I'm not sure if they changed the coolant reservoir for later years, but if so, you may be running an aftermarket reservoir, which could be causing the interference you're describing. For reference, here's what my reservoir looks like.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great video, I've also been looking at the AFE for mine. Just a note, your coolant reservoir looks different than mine, which is on a 2006 Hemi. I'm not sure if they changed the coolant reservoir for later years, but if so, you may be running an aftermarket reservoir, which could be causing the interference you're describing.
That's an interesting observation. I lot changed with the 2008 models so I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of them; otherwise, if it is an aftermarket reservoir that would explain why the intake didn't fit properly. I eventually got it to fit by raising the bottom OEM intake box with spacers, just enough to clear the coolant reservoir and it worked out well. I've had this intake for over a year now and I've only attempted to clean it once and it wasn't as dirty as I thought it would be. I'm still very happy with it and haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's an interesting observation. I lot changed with the 2008 models so I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of them; otherwise, if it is an aftermarket reservoir that would explain why the intake didn't fit properly. I eventually got it to fit by raising the bottom OEM intake box with spacers, just enough to clear the coolant reservoir and it worked out well. I've had this intake for over a year now and I've only attempted to clean it once and it wasn't as dirty as I thought it would be. I'm still very happy with it and haven't had any issues.
Do you have pics? I had the same exact problem on my '09. Do you think putting in a '06 airbox would work?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts