Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that even though aftermarket intake systs. like K&N's improve performance/efficiency, they also virturally eliminate the airbox leaving only a little semi-protective shroud on one side. Being this is an offroad vehicle as well, is there a danger when splashing thru streams or in heavy rainstorms that water can be sucked up into these type intakes?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Tureg said:
I have noticed that even though aftermarket intake systs. like K&N's improve performance/efficiency, they also virturally eliminate the airbox leaving only a little semi-protective shroud on one side. Being this is an offroad vehicle as well, is there a danger when splashing thru streams or in heavy rainstorms that water can be sucked up into these type intakes?
I would not be worried about splashing so much as I would about submersion. Typically a K&N filter that is well oiled will not allow enough water to pass through from a good splash.

The intake is also slanted down to allow water to drain out towards the filter if a slug of water made it's way in. At idle it would eventually drain out. The problem would occur if you were hard on the gas and took a shot of water in the filter. It could then make it's way into the engine and viola you now have a water injected JC for all of 3 seconds. Then you have an engine-less JC.

I think it is protected enough to not pose any problems during normal driving conditions. But the idea of water making it's way into the intake should definetly be on the minds of those that make the conversion.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thats exactly why I decided to go with a home made system keeping the airbox. I just eleminated all the restriction to the air box, and from the air box to the TB. Very easy to do.

·
Registered
396 Posts
K&N also has an additional fabric splash guard / cover, but I don't think it would help in an immersion situation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts