Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get an sftermarket alarm for the Commander but am worried as two alarms I had in my ZJ failed to disable the factory alarm occasionally, resulting in the factory alarm going off when the door was opened. This, of course, usually occured in the early morning as my neighbors were sleeping. :D

That being said, I'm thinking seriously about one that will monitor the outside of the vehicle and warn people getting to close to the vehicle to back off. Anyone had any experience with them; good points/bad points?

If anyone gets an aftermarket alarm installed, I'd be curious as to how it works out and what you had installed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I talked to some installers at a mobile shop. they said they leave the factory alarm alone and you should not use your key opener with the factory panic button so you dont set it off. The problem being our keys have our panic button on it. You may want to talk to the dealer to see if there is a way to bypass the factory alarm.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have an aftermarket alarm on my xk. You get what you pay for. The dealer who installed the alarm left the factory alarm alone. The alarms on my other vehicles were well worth the money spent. Don't buy a cheapy, you'll regret it. maximo

·
Registered
13 Posts
Unless you are looking for adventure, I recomend going to a specialty retailer for the instalation. No Best Buy, etc are not specialty retailers. While there are somethings they do very well, installing alarms is not usualy one of them. Most retail chains specify how an alarm is installed. In most all cases, rear doors, hatchbacks rear passenger doors are not even connected as they require more work and in some cases more parts.

Specialty retailers on the other hand are generaly more through and their business depends on customer satisfaction.

I have always installed my own alarms and as the OEM systems get better, the the install gets more complex. My vehicle prior to the Commander was a 2000 Isuzu Trooper. The OEM alarm, went active when ever the doors were locked without the ignition on. In this case there were intrusion sensors in the key shackes that would detect for someone trying to open the lock mechanism without using a key. Im my case I chose not to disable the factory alarm, but use it along side the after market. In this case I had to have the aftermarket send a 12v+ signal to the accessory at the ignition switch to disable the oem system. Other wise the aftermarkey would set off the OEM alarm when the doors were unlocked without the origional alarm being disarmed.

In the next couple of weeks I will be installing an aftermarket alarm in to the Commander with the help of the Jeep Electrical Manual. I will try to document as much of the install as I can and post it up here when I am done.

At the moment the plan is to install a system that:

Will work WITH the existing alarm system
Remote Starts
Detects ALL doors, hood, rear window and rear lift.
Uses AUX buttons to open the rear window and the rear lift (2 buttons)
While I currently do not have ski racks installed, a wire will be routed so that I can also connect the ski racks to the alarm.
Disable the vehicle by not allowing the starter to function (the relay will be deep in the engine compartment to make it more difficult to bypass.

Wish me luck

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've got a Clifford Matrix with remote start. Fun, but a pain to carry the big factory key along with the radio transmitter / receiver fob.

The professional installer left the factory alarm fully intact. I never use the factory key buttons and no problems. If I sell the vehicle, it can go back to stock and I can take the Matrix alarm out.

Good luck with your install.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Is the factory alarm system so bad? It seems that any alarm system that depends on the main battery is easily disabled. A simple blinking light deters the yoyos and nothing short of a boot will stop a pro. Actually a boot will not either. The factory setup seems like a pretty good one to me but I have never stolen trucks for a living.

·
Registered
157 Posts
samax8 said:
Is the factory alarm system so bad? It seems that any alarm system that depends on the main battery is easily disabled. A simple blinking light deters the yoyos and nothing short of a boot will stop a pro. Actually a boot will not either. The factory setup seems like a pretty good one to me but I have never stolen trucks for a living.
the factory alarm is great in stoping someone from steeling the JC but it is poor at stoping theft of whats in the JC. After market alarms can have back up batteries installed so its harder to cut the alarm, plus they are much more sensitive to break in. The two alarms as a pair give you added security.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Plus, the factory alarm is not passive arming, so if you forget to lock the doors with the keyfob, you have *zero* protection.

I'm not terribly worried about someone stealing the JC via hotwiring or other method (short of flatbedding it) as I feel that the Sentry Key feature will work just fine in that respect. What I *am* worried about is someone popping a window and grabbing something out of the vehicle (maybe even having enough time to steal the NAV system before someone notices the factory alarm). A good aftermarket alarm system will have enough visual deterrents to help convince the thief that this is not going to be as easy. I am thinking about the Matrix system but with the proximity sensor to warn off people who get/stay too close to the vehicle. If the alarm threatens to trip while you're peeking in the windows, you probably won't bother. The system also has a battery powered siren that will continue to sound even if you cut the wires going to the siren. :)

That being said, some people may have gotten the wrong impression as to the reason why I started this post. I don't want to disable/remove the factory alarm. What I want(ed) to verify was that an aftermarket alarm would consistently disarm the factory alarm when it is itself disarmed by the remote. My 97 ZJ's factory alarm would not always do so! That meant that periodically, I would disarm the aftermarket alarm as usual, open the door, and get blasted by the horn as the factory alarm went off. I guess I didn't really expect there to be a problem with the JC, but I went through two alarms trying to figure this ZJ problem out and never did. Once bitten, twice shy and all that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What all does the factory system entail? Does it go off if somebody tries to open a door? What about breaks a window? Is it a typical factory alarm or better or worse? I am not too worried about somebody stealing the Commander because of the Senry key but more worried about vandalism or stealing the contents. I am sure that true professionals wouldn't be slowed down too much by most alarms.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All it monitors is the entry doors. If someone opens one while it's armed, the alarm sounds. If someone pops a window, it will not activate. I would classify it as a typical factory alarm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
azmouse said:
Unless you are looking for adventure, I recomend going to a specialty retailer for the instalation. No Best Buy, etc are not specialty retailers. While there are somethings they do very well, installing alarms is not usualy one of them. Most retail chains specify how an alarm is installed. In most all cases, rear doors, hatchbacks rear passenger doors are not even connected as they require more work and in some cases more parts.

Specialty retailers on the other hand are generaly more through and their business depends on customer satisfaction.

I have always installed my own alarms and as the OEM systems get better, the the install gets more complex. My vehicle prior to the Commander was a 2000 Isuzu Trooper. The OEM alarm, went active when ever the doors were locked without the ignition on. In this case there were intrusion sensors in the key shackes that would detect for someone trying to open the lock mechanism without using a key. Im my case I chose not to disable the factory alarm, but use it along side the after market. In this case I had to have the aftermarket send a 12v+ signal to the accessory at the ignition switch to disable the oem system. Other wise the aftermarkey would set off the OEM alarm when the doors were unlocked without the origional alarm being disarmed.

In the next couple of weeks I will be installing an aftermarket alarm in to the Commander with the help of the Jeep Electrical Manual. I will try to document as much of the install as I can and post it up here when I am done.

At the moment the plan is to install a system that:

Will work WITH the existing alarm system
Remote Starts
Detects ALL doors, hood, rear window and rear lift.
Uses AUX buttons to open the rear window and the rear lift (2 buttons)
While I currently do not have ski racks installed, a wire will be routed so that I can also connect the ski racks to the alarm.
Disable the vehicle by not allowing the starter to function (the relay will be deep in the engine compartment to make it more difficult to bypass.

Wish me luck
so whats the gossip?did you succed?and by the way some installers that work for big retail store are very good.shure they hire newbies cause installers are very hard to find....

·
Registered
76 Posts
If someone really wants to break into your vehicle, no alarm will stop him. In fact, a real pro wouldn't even bother to break the window and etc. They will come with a flatbed and tow your vehicle away.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a python 881 installed in my jeep, remote start and remote windows. Also has 2 seperate "no touch" radar zones. One for the stereo install and one for the passanger compartment. Anything is possible, you just need to find a VERY good installer. I use the aftermarket keyfob and have taken the battery out of the factory one. It can be done and works great.

As for saying the factory alarm is ok. No it isn't, there is not a single factory alarm with shock or window sensors in them from the factory. Sure someone opens the door the alarm will go off, but if it is whats inside that the theif wants, a crowbar through the window and away they go with your goodies. Good thing that car alarm didn't go off cuase the door was never opened. Seen it happen too many times with the owner standing in the parking lot saying "but it has an alarm". Actually, it just happend to a good friends acura last night, brand new garmin went bye bye in his driveway after work.

It sucks, and is a horrid lesson to learm, I know from experience. 02 Mazda protege, smash and grab a 1500 head unit.

A well placed radar unit can warn of a flatbed pickup too. Its true, anything is stealable, just trying to make it as hard as possible for them :D

Sry just my $.02

Meatball

1 - 16 of 16 Posts