Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone install an aftermarket setup yet? I want to change out the head unit, speakers and install a sub and some amp's.

Also, what's with the aux input on the factory radio, I plugged my iPod into it and only got mono.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The cable I used has a 1/8 plug on both sides, it would be nice if they had aux RCA's.

Anybody have the instructions for taking the dash and doors apart. I used to do custom installs and I have built a few award winning projects, like my Dodge Magnum.

What I plan on doing as of now, is installing Alpine's flag ship deck with iPod hook up. Memphis Audio M Class speakers in the front and back and MB Quart tweeters in the dash. Then, I'm going to build a box for the back that will fit the space behind the seats when the 3rd row is up and then when it's down, have it against the 2nd row. The Box will house one Rockford P3 sub and a Rockford amp all built into the box flash. I love Music and listen to Blues, Rock and Jazz and I build my systems for audio quality, not monster bass.

I would love to see what other guys have done.

·
Registered
23 Posts
just installed my subs over the weekend... they are banging they are soooo loud and the amp is turned only halfway up ... i also installed the ipod integration... by the way... tints are a must!:p

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree 100% about the tint's. What kind of sub's did you go with and how did you install them? I'm very open for ideas. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
everything that is in my truck is below on my signature...... i got them professionally installed and will take pictures and send them to you if u want

·
Registered
240 Posts
IDJ5I said:
everything that is in my truck is below on my signature...... i got them professionally installed and will take pictures and send them to you if u want
Are your 12's in a standard sub box or some sort of custom enclosure. I don't see how anyone could hold a 12" sub in the space behind the 3rd row seat while it is up. Do you have to leave it down all of the time?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rubicontrail.net said:
Then you should be getting stereo audio.
I know it should, I wasn't sure if the stock radio aux was mono. I never messed around with one before. It don't matter anyway, by this weekend it will be out and the Alpine will be in.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kfbagt said:
Are your 12's in a standard sub box or some sort of custom enclosure. I don't see how anyone could hold a 12" sub in the space behind the 3rd row seat while it is up. Do you have to leave it down all of the time?
There is enough room to have one 12 or two in a box in that space with the seat up. The box needs to follow the seat's angle and then flat with the door. If you run the 36" across you have enough air space for two 12's. The Rockford P3 12 will fit in a box this shallow and it will pound, I'll have my box done by this weekend I hope, if all the parts make it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IDJ5I said:
I'd like to see the setup.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Redhouse said:
Anyone install an aftermarket setup yet? I want to change out the head unit, speakers and install a sub and some amp's.

Also, what's with the aux input on the factory radio, I plugged my iPod into it and only got mono.
I changed out all of my stuff. I just had the base system. Put in an Alpine CDA 9856 head unit with the XM modulator. Went with the Alpine SPS 6x9 for front door, Alpine Type R 6 1/2 for rear door, and for the dash I used the Blaupunkt Overdrive Series ODx352 3-1/2" 2-way car speakers (which I think have been discontinued). Doors are easy enough to pop off. You'll need to pull the flap up behind the door handle and undo that screw and I think just one other. Then pop the door off. The dash grills just pop right off, so they are easy to get to. System sounds much better! I've contemplated putting in a sub, but I wanted it to be out of the way and hidden....which isn't easy in this vehicle.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info on the dash and doors. :D

I'm going with the CDA9857 and the Memphis M Class speakers. I'm not a fan of 2 1/2 or 3 1/2's, IMHO you can get a much better soundstage by going with a good set of tweeters, so I going to make a bracket and install some MB Quart tweeters and there should be enough space to hide the crossover in there. I hear ya about sub's, there really isn't a good place to install them hidden, no room under the seats, anything. So building a nice clean box is the best bet, if your not going for over the top.

I'll post some pictures of everything when I'm done this weekend.

·
Registered
23 Posts
kfbagt said:
I have the third row down because im 16 and will never utilize that space so i have a custom box that contours with the backs of the 2nd row seating... i tried to take pictures and post them but i cant figure out how to post pics from my comp... if any1 can explain.. please help so i can show my mods and sub/amp setup! thanks

·
Registered
556 Posts
IDJ5I said:
I have the third row down because im 16 and will never utilize that space so i have a custom box that contours with the backs of the 2nd row seating... i tried to take pictures and post them but i cant figure out how to post pics from my comp... if any1 can explain.. please help so i can show my mods and sub/amp setup! thanks
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608

If you still can't figure it out, I'll try and help ya out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's a few pictures of the Dash taken apart.

Here's the new Alpine 9857, this is one very cool deck with high speed iPod connection. Alpine has really done an awesome job working with Apple to get it right.

This is really the number one reason I go aftermarket, look at these cheap P.O.S. speakers from the factory. On the left the factory and on the right the Memphis M-Class 6 1/2's with crossovers.

I'll post more pictures tomorrow night after I finish the install. I built the box and it's a no go. In order to have a box in there with the third row up you will have to have a small 10 inch sub with a depth no more then 6 inches to fit in a box small enough. The problem is that any sub that will fit that, will give you weak bass at best and the box being on the small side you run into the need to deaden it, because it will be to live. Since I'm about 100% audio quality and don't plan on using the third row, I built a box for a 12" Rockford
P3 the will fit up against the 2nd row with the amp built into the box for a cool look.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'd like to see many, many pics after your setup is complete. Keep us posted! I'm excited :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's a few more pictures. :D

This is one of the factory 6 1/2's in the back doors.

Here's a Memphis 6 1/2 installed.

Here's a shot of the 6 1/2 and the crossovers each speaker has.

Here's the Alpine in the dash.

One thing I really would like is to find a dash piece to bring the sliver trim look up around the Alpine.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts