Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger side catalytic converter (3.7L) was dinged quite hard by a rock last summer (yeah, I know, I should have had a belly guard :brickwall:). It is making a lot of noise when I accelerate now, and I want to replace it before it fails and causes other problems. Anyways, I know that the oem converter is big $$$. Has anyone found (and tried) any aftermarket solutions for the 3.7L?

Also, how difficult is it to replace (I don't have access to a lift)?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I had the same problem as you. No belly guard back in the day and dented the passenger side cat. I searched every where and found nothing after market. I ended up just purchasing them from the dealer. Total cost was about $850. I installed everything myself and it was an absolute pain in the butt. Its definitely a two person install and I was stuck doing it myself. Im now protected by the belly guard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same problem as you. No belly guard back in the day and dented the passenger side cat. I searched every where and found nothing after market. I ended up just purchasing them from the dealer. Total cost was about $850. I installed everything myself and it was an absolute pain in the butt. Its definitely a two person install and I was stuck doing it myself. Im now protected by the belly guard.
That's what I was afraid of. I'll post back if I can find another option.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the Commander into the muffler shop to see what they could do about the catalytic converter. They were pretty sure that they could cut out the passenger side one and replace it with a high quality after market converter. However, they determined that the noise was coming from the muffler, so they replaced that instead with an 18" Magnaflow. The vibration is gone! So I just ordered a bellyguard to keep the cat converters protected from now on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts