Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there folks... I am about to get one of these GPS with a budget of $500-$600. I have been reading reviews all day but can't decide. I was leaning towards a Garmin Nuvi 350. Any advice out there?

·
Registered
473 Posts
let me know what you go with. i'm looking to buy one before spring. i have a garmin handheld so i should probably stay with garmin because of possible software compatability.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the Streetpilot C330. I tested it today on a 40 mile trip. I was really impressed by its accuracy. There are certain features that this one misses, but that I don't really need. It was on sale for 450, can't beat that.

·
Registered
473 Posts
let me know if you find anything you really like or dislike about it. my wife wants one that talks to you:rolleyes: does yours?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have the Mopar Garmin Navus for my Commander. It sit on the dash and is easy to use. Was made for the Jeep and so it looks factory.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked this so I could switch between vehicles. It does talk, and it gives you very useful info. For example it tells you in how many miles to turn, what lane to stay (eg. left exits), and when to turn. You can view route in advance and how map...

I didn't want to spend more than 450-500 as this is not a top priority item for me. For example, an upgraded model for about 750 can tell you in advance about traffic jams and alternate routes, of course to have that feature, you need to buy an additional antenna or something like that for another 150. I does work very accurate. I missed a few exits on purpose (familiar area) and it automatically recalculated an alternate route. Very impressive tool. Screen is very easy to read/navigate. It comes with a small plate you can adhere to the dash and then use the suction cup on that plate making it look like factory mounted or at least off the windshield. I messed mine up as I had armorall on the dash... :-( I guess I will have to buy two-sided tape.

Anyway, if money is tight, this unit will do the best job compared to other brands in similar price range. Originally sells for 650, I got it onsale at Best Buy for 449.00.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I've used both systems, Garmin and Magellan (sp?) I prefer the Garmin, seemed a bit more reliable, but had fewer options than the Magellan. Very ahndy little toys :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
For those that have PDA Mobile Phones (Treo, Cingular 8125, etc), Garmin is releasing the Garmin Mobile 20 cradle next month.

The Garmin Mobile 20 has the GPS chip built into a windshied mount cradle that holds your existing mobile phone. It utilizes your phone proecessor for the navigation software that comes on an SD or miniSD card. It is only retailing for $299, so it is an affordable alternative to a separate unit.

As a bonus, it acts as a handsfree speaker for your phone as well!

http://www.garmin.com/products/garminmobile20/

·
Registered
556 Posts
Dabitz said:
I bought the Streetpilot C330. I tested it today on a 40 mile trip. I was really impressed by its accuracy. There are certain features that this one misses, but that I don't really need. It was on sale for 450, can't beat that.
Do you have to buy a disk for each state or region and load it via computer? or is North America all on one disk?

·
Registered
131 Posts
walkjon said:
I have the Mopar Garmin Navus for my Commander. It sit on the dash and is easy to use. Was made for the Jeep and so it looks factory.
I was thinking of getting that do you have pictures?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Regarding the C330, I didn't have to buy a map. I live in New Jersey, everything is extremely accurate, it even tells you which side of the street your destination is. I know there are options to buy additional maps, but not needed in my case. Again, I chose this because of $$$, and because I can move fr vehicle to vehicle as needed. The version map it says it has is America Lite 4.0

·
Registered
160 Posts
I purchased the Garmin C340 for my girlfriend. This unit is nice because it's very easy to use. Easy enough for my anti-tech girlfriend.

The major difference between the 330 and 340 is that the voice announces proper names of streets, etc...

IMO, It's well worth the money. Our unit has already paid for itself and then some.

The only cons to the C series is the windshield mount suction cup. The cup doesn't want to stick to windshields that not flat. My girlfriend has a 2005 mustang and I have to mount it up by the sun visor to hold it in place.

If you decide to go for this unit, be sure to get the updated mapping software. Mine came with v.6 and v.8 was just released in September 06. If you get a unit that has v.6, you can update to v.8 for $75. "City Navigator North America NT v8"

·
Registered
64 Posts
We have had the Magellan Roadmate 700 for a couple years now and just love it. It was a little pricier at $800. It has voice commands, turn by turn, touch screen entry, and has traffic reroutes (with the upgraded software that I installed a couple months ago). We already had the add-on antenna, because it wouldn't work with the regular antenna in our van, because of the highly metalized tint in the windshield. It worked just fine with the regular antenna on other vehicles. It uses the winshield cup mount though, not the dash mount. Magellan is the same system used on all Hertz "Never lost" systems - so believe me when I say it's easy to use. It is much faster to use than the one in our Commander because of the touch screen feature. We also have a Garmin system for our boat and it is much more difficult to use (at least for me). It came with street capability and I tried it a couple times and gave up. That's when we bought the Magellan.

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was playing with the Alpine Blackbird yesterday...it has a fantastic interface with capability to run through any stock stereo. Its an mp3 player too with expandability. I'm gonna hold out until January when they tell me that Alpine is going to make an integrated double din DVD/CD/GPS unit, the IVA-w200 type, for less than the Pioneer, with better interfaces. We shall see, its a good thing I'm patient. The blackbird retails for about $499, but I found it on eBay for $400

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
ratfarker said:
I'm gonna hold out until January when they tell me that Alpine is going to make an integrated double din DVD/CD/GPS unit, the IVA-w200 type, for less than the Pioneer, with better interfaces.
I wish someone made a 1.5 DIN unit like that so I could replace my factory system in my Cherokee.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts