Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i just ordered an eclipse navigation for my commander and had a few questions.
1. where is everyone mounting there gps antenna?
2. does anyone know how to bypass the eclipse navigation so you can use it why moving?
thanks larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
I mounted my gps antenna under the front plastic piece on the luggage rack and if you ground the wire that is labeled park it will allow you to do everything without being in park.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Mounted my gps antenna in the middle of the dash next to the light sensor, no reception issues yet..you can kinda see it in the pic....

for the hack, im not sure, for the pioneer's, you had to ground the parking brake wire and also swap and ground one other wire in the plug..not sure about eclipse..it may just be the parking brake wire

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
As a caution to others who may read this thread:

WAIT before grounding ANY parking wires. If you have an Eclipse and have done this you may be ok. Park wires for various units (for instance on Alpines) need a pulse signal sent to them. I have seen plenty of Kenwoods and Pioneers with gyro sensors come back with shot brains because of this. Sometimes you will need a relay, sometimes you have to reconfigure the actual pin placement on the wiring harness.
What Eclipse Model do you have? I have the Eclipse 5510 and I put the park wire on a grounded switch (it is illegal to drive with this feature enabled, so I have a hidden switch to turn it off incase I get pulled over. Also if you get in an accident with a bypassed unit it is automatically your fault in Indiana).

Almost all of the 2007 - 2008 Model Double Din Ecplise nav units can ground the park wire, yet if you have the unit with the removable Tom Tom there is other things you may need to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Very few models have the pulse signal. I know all new Alpine's have them. Then you have to go out and buy the adapter because of the stupid foot brake thing. As for fault if one is on - that's incorrect. You'll get cited, but it is not automatically your fault if you have one on. It will lead a LEO to say that it may have had something to do with your distraction, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
penguin said:
As for fault if one is on - that's incorrect. You'll get cited, but it is not automatically your fault if you have one on. It will lead a LEO to say that it may have had something to do with your distraction, though.

That is why I said in Indiana. It is actually a clause here with Insurance companies. This ranges from "fault" to deference of coverage. If the company finds that the unit was not installed properly (ie the parking brake wire was not installed) then they have all they need to decline coverage. If another person hits you and upon damage inspection they find a bypassed video source in view of the driver, then that company will default insurance back to your company. The same is true in theft. Insurance companies send us vehicles all the time and if there is a theft in any form of video source we have to look and see if there are any signs of a parking brake wire. If not, they do not grant that individual a replacement product or coverage.

Again this is Indiana. Our northerly neighbors have no fault insurance in Michigan.

Also, for pulse signals you only need a switch and a push button valet switch, a ground source, and an accessory signal. The Pioneer Gyro sensor models sometimes need complete "hacking", while others have a tab you can pull that reads "Removal of this tab voids the warranty" which just seizes the gyro capabilities.

Either way to each his own, and nothing stops anyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
LuckyAx2 said:
That is why I said in Indiana. It is actually a clause here with Insurance companies.
I'm an insurance adjuster. The policy language cannot, by law, legislate any kind of criminal fault. An insurance policy is a civil contract of adhesion.

LuckyAx2 said:
This ranges from "fault" to deference of coverage. If the company finds that the unit was not installed properly (ie the parking brake wire was not installed) then they have all they need to decline coverage.
That would be a declination of coverage, not a finding of fault.

LuckyAx2 said:
If another person hits you and upon damage inspection they find a bypassed video source in view of the driver, then that company will default insurance back to your company.
I'm not sure who you are getting your insurance information from, but that is wholly incorrect.

LuckyAx2 said:
The same is true in theft. Insurance companies send us vehicles all the time and if there is a theft in any form of video source we have to look and see if there are any signs of a parking brake wire. If not, they do not grant that individual a replacement product or coverage.
I just looked over a standard policy that is widly used in Indiana. there is no such language.

LuckyAx2 said:
Again this is Indiana. Our northerly neighbors have no fault insurance in Michigan.
No 'fault insurance' is totally different than an exclusion. You're talking about a type of legal covereage theory versus just a paragraph of words in a policy.

If you have comprehensive coverage endorsement to your policy then you will be covered for theft of anything that is physically installed on your vehicle (your HO policy may cover things in your car depending on some other stuff that is too boring to go into). Irrespective, Indiana isn't a 'no fault' state (there are currently no pure 'no fault' states) it is a modified comparitive fault state (you can collect damages as long as you are less than 50% at fault in the loss). That doesn't have anything to do with comprehensive, anyway. That is a type of legal finding.

In sum; you can collect from an Indiana policy for theft from your vehicle even if is improperlly installed in your car, as long as it is physically installed. There is no exclusion for this. Moreover, you cannot be found at fault for having an improperly wired A/V system in your car - unless that improper wiring caused you to do something that was the proximate cause of the loss, or the A/V system was the proximate cause of the loss. If you were told otherwise you were lied to or informed by someone that was very uninformed on Indiana policy law. And yes, my license has reciprocity with Indiana.

LuckyAx2 said:
Also, for pulse signals you only need a switch and a push button valet switch, a ground source, and an accessory signal. The Pioneer Gyro sensor models sometimes need complete "hacking", while others have a tab you can pull that reads "Removal of this tab voids the warranty" which just seizes the gyro capabilities.
Yeah, you can get all that or just by the bypass (I looked at Alpine before I got my Kenwood - I liked the HD navigation better).

"Ok.. just installed the 1004 unit in my car today too... w/o the expansion unit and instead a portable dvd player in the glovebox..

as for the brake bypass.. hook the footbrake cable up as normal... I think the wire I tapped into for this one was green w/yellow stripe (brakelight)... comming off the top of the brake pedal.
and the e-brake cable is the one you have to play with for the actual bypass.
2 ways to bypass.
-Programmed auto-switch (~$20 ebay... $50 retail) search the name TR7
-Manual switch from Radio shack (~$2) I used this method.. as I'm cheap and it works and not really a big hassle.

ok.. hooking up the manual switch... it has 3 connectors.
1 will go to the ebrake cable.. just regular tap.
1 will go to headunit as normal
and the last will be ground.
I just drilled a hole for the switch in the spot between the front cup holders... doesn't look bad at all.

so normal operation would require you to step on foot brake while you apply ebrake twice and then release foot brake...

w/ the switch... apply footbrake and flick switch twice instead. and presto.. it's unlocked.

w/ the autoswitch... I heard the bitch is to program the thing... "
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the great info i got the eclipse 5510. so all you needed to do was ground the parking brake to get it to work? thanks larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
congrats on proving you have too much time on your hands. After signing installation verification agreements and working on a daily basis with Insurance adjuster, installing over one hundred in dash video sources, and verifying safe installation practices for 8 years in Indiana, not New Orleans, I think I have justification for my response. Funny that I had 7 personal messages saying how dumb your little argument is (3 that said they are insurance adjusters themselves).

I must quote the classic film Billy Madison in reply to your insanely long rambling:
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul!
It's a Jeep Commander Forum, where owners of similar vehicles come together to better each other. I would be glad to talk to you offline about this as to not waste other members time, but not really because that would be wasting mine as well.

SFD, sorry that you had to endure this simply to get an answer. I love my 5510 (did you get the bluetooth adapter?). Looking back the 6610 would have been nicer to have simply for the dual zone play. Either way the 5510 is one amazing unit!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just ordered the bluetooth yesterday, i so i am going to wait a couple of days till i get it to install everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
still trying to decied if i want to put a rear camera, dont really need it but might be kind of cool to have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
LuckyAx2 said:
congrats on proving you have too much time on your hands. After signing installation verification agreements and working on a daily basis with Insurance adjuster, installing over one hundred in dash video sources, and verifying safe installation practices for 8 years in Indiana, not New Orleans, I think I have justification for my response. Funny that I had 7 personal messages saying how dumb your little argument is (3 that said they are insurance adjusters themselves).

I must quote the classic film Billy Madison in reply to your insanely long rambling:


It's a Jeep Commander Forum, where owners of similar vehicles come together to better each other. I would be glad to talk to you offline about this as to not waste other members time, but not really because that would be wasting mine as well.

SFD, sorry that you had to endure this simply to get an answer. I love my 5510 (did you get the bluetooth adapter?). Looking back the 6610 would have been nicer to have simply for the dual zone play. Either way the 5510 is one amazing unit!
Just because you're filling out a simple one page IDT-10 form for an insurance adjuster does not mean you know insurance practices. Not getting personal, but you have about as much knowledge in insurance law as a guy flipping a burger. It's like if I commented on how to better install an A/V system than you, even though I do it in my garage. I'm not better. Insofar as the other adjusters; if they say I'm wrong, come in this thread or create a new one. If you're a good adjuster and you see someone posting bad insurance comments, you'd correct them (like I did). BTW, it took me all of 10 minutes to fill out my response. I didn't know that was alot of time. I also had my other computer up next to it *gasp* working insurance claims (I'm a casualty adjuster - which encompasses larger claims than these guys working for GEICO on just property damage). You can install all the video devices you want in a car but it won't get you one step closer to knowing insurance law. Again, if you would have read - I am licensed to practice in Indiana and read over an Indiana policy, which governs what you're talking about (which honestly doesn't make sense as you don't know much about insurance law).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,604 Posts
Penguin, stop.

You making a bigger hole. You are not the only insurance person on the forum and you did attempt to tell lucky his job.

Most states do not license adjusters. You dont make law or interpret it. You adjust claims based on company practices. And dont tell me you dont try to make your own laws, that is how so many carriers get away with shoddy claim practices, they present themselves as the law. When they are only trying to reduce the loss.

I sat back hoping you would run out of steam and go away......

CPCU, Clu, CiC, ARM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
cico7 said:
Penguin, stop.

You making a bigger hole. You are not the only insurance person on the forum and you did attempt to tell lucky his job.

Most states do not license adjusters. You dont make law or interpret it. You adjust claims based on company practices. And dont tell me you dont try to make your own laws, that is how so many carriers get away with shoddy claim practices, they present themselves as the law. When they are only trying to reduce the loss.

I sat back hoping you would run out of steam and go away......

CPCU, Clu, CiC, ARM
1) I did not make any law or interpret it. If you would have read my first post on the subject you would have noticed wherein I stated that contracts of insurance do not legislate anything. Hence, not make law. True, Indiana does not license adjusters so I stand corrected in that regard (I can practice in almost every state).
2) I do not work for an insurance company. I work for the worlds largest independant adjusting company (you can guess who that is). So you're incorrect in your assumption that I 'make my own laws'. A claim is what it is.
3) Since you are an adjuster (not sure if staff, public or independant) why don't you opine on this rather than theorizing if I work as a staff adjuster? Am I correct or incorrect that the proximate cause of a loss can be determined by having an A/V system incorrectly installed? If so, then on your line of thinking if a person who is involved in a wreck with you that has been drinking and ran a red light and hit you would NOT be found at fault if your A/V system is incorrectly wired. That's just insane.
4) I didn't realize I attempted to tell him his job. So, is his job an insurance adjuster?
5) If you adjust claims based only upon company practices and not the insurance regulations of your respective state and not based upon the facts of the loss or the policy language, then you are not adjusting claims. You are merely a claims representative. Can you ethically say that you base your claims handling and decisions based upon company practices only? I guess a staff adjuster might as they need to mitigate their liability (But even then it is my opinion that that borders on unethical), but for an independant to state that - when they have no interest in their client or the insured - is without merit. An adjuster needs to adjust a loss based upon the policy language and the facts of the loss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts


You are like the claims energizer Bunny. you keep going and going....

I am sorry for trying to help someone out on this board. I didn't give an in-depth explanation on how to install the unit because at the time he did not state which one he had, because as you agreed there are different ways for different units. This all started because I simply wanted to make SFD aware of the different possibilities before he could POSSIBLY damage his unit

PLEASE STOP HURTING THE INTEGRITY OF THIS FORUM
Admins should just delete this entire thread. This childish fighting that you are pursuing is more than enough reason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
I'm not sure how correcting bad information is hurting the integrity of the board. That doesn't even make sense. If I said that if he hooked up his ground wire to a 12v + wire, would you have corrected me? If so, would that have then hurt the integrity of the board? I like your cute photo. Problem is, I don't have a complaint. I'm sorry that you think being corrected is childish. I learned long ago that being corrected is a way to garner more knowledge and to not take offense. But I guess that's just me...
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top