Jeep Commander Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just ordered these with the cree LEDs Monday... arriving any day now.

Reactions: vestin112

·
Registered
128 Posts
Dudes, installed the new headlight assemblies today. I ain't gonna lie... quite a PITA, however the finished look is worth it in my opinion given they replaced the original 06s. On to the next XK project...

Attachments

Reactions: Wombler and Kemmer

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dudes, installed the new headlight assemblies today. I ain't gonna lie... quite a PITA, however the finished look is worth it in my opinion given they replaced the original 06s. On to the next XK project...
How are the LED's? I want to go LED when I replace assemblies.

·
Registered
128 Posts
How are the LED's? I want to go LED when I replace assemblies.

I like them... they came pre-installed for about 30$ more. White bright light that's brighter than the halogens. If you decided to install them yourself, do yourself a favor and hit me up... I'll fill you in with a few of the steps that weren't listed on some other diy step-by-steps. You'll save a lot of time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I like them... they came pre-installed for about 30$ more. White bright light that's brighter than the halogens. If you decided to install them yourself, do yourself a favor and hit me up... I'll fill you in with a few of the steps that weren't listed on some other diy step-by-steps. You'll save a lot of time.
Alright, thanks my dude.

·
Registered
438 Posts
hey @BigRed07

and @alaskanthunder

would you mind posting your steps so others can see how much effort goes into replacing the headlight assys?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Replaced my assemblies this week too. It was a huge PITA, I can't believe the process to just change the assemblies. However, the finished look is worth it.
Yes, unbelievable PITA! But they look great and you'll probably never do it again. Nice work!

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey @BigRed07

and @alaskanthunder

would you mind posting your steps so others can see how much effort goes into replacing the headlight assys?
I would recommend changing your foglight assemblies while doing this as they probably are as bad as the headlights and they will be very easily accessible during this debocle.

0. Take a picture of your old tired faded headlights.
1. Remove the 6 pins holding the grill in place, lift to remove grill.
2. Drink a beer.
3. remove the 4 pins at the top center of the front bumper fascia. (these were behind the grill)
4. remove the 2 bolts on bottom of fascia under front bumper
5. Chug a beer.
6. Remove the 6 plastic rivets from each wheel well liner (3 on each side) I couldn't do this without breaking them...
7. the cover should be loose, disconnect the fog lamp wiring from the assemblies. Wrestle with the side part that is still latched to the turn signal corner of the headlights. (insert loud curse word here) I pulled and twisted until it broke. (insert many curse words here) pull back fender flares until clips release (or break in my case) The cover should come off. Stand back in utter disbelief and stare at the mess you just made and are wondering how the hell you will put it back together. (while drinking a beer)
8. Sit down in a comfy camping chair and get more beer,... then, swear that if you ever met the engineer that came up with this design you would throat punch him. Laugh at yourself and go take a piss.
9. Each headlight assembly has 3 bolts to remove. Disconnect the wiring harness that is attached to the frame. Wrestle these out.
10. Install new assemblies, rewire them and bolt back into place.
11. Now, wrestle the front bumper cover somewhat into position and re-install the first 4 pins you took out to hold it up.
12. Curse loudly as you realize the clips that were holding in the fender flares broke and you have to zip tie them back into place
13. I put the 2 bolts on the bottom back in to relieve the weight while re-aligning the fascia, wheel well iner, and tab on the bottom corner that holds it all together.
14. Get your new rivet tool and plastic rivets (I had to go to Harbor Freight to buy this $12) and align the holes of the bumper cover and wheel liner and re-rivet together. Do all 6.
15. Drink your last beer, clean up all your stuff, wipe doen headlights from your dirty hands, take a picture.
16. Enjoy your new headlights and convince yourself it was all worth it. (but you'll still throat punch the engineer if given the chance)

I may have forgotten some minor things, but this is how my afternoon went while tackling this insane project.
I hope it is helpful.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Having just put the entire front end back together on mine and most of the retainers have either broken or become missing over the years, I did some leg work to make it all like-new again....here's the clips you'll need since you'll most likely break them all.

(3) of these for each fender flare (so 6 total) that snaps into the front bumper (bottom front of each flare)- Dorman 963-206 Fender Flare Retainer
Best to remove these AFTER you opened up the wheel well liner as you can use some pliers and push them out from the inside, possibly avoiding breaking them.

The rest of the fender flare uses these, in case you pulled too hard or already need them, where it snaps into the metal quarter panel- Dorman 963-207 Fender Flare Retainer

Both of the fender flare clip types can be purchased at Autozone or O'reilly's or whatever your local parts chain is. They come in packs of 2 and each store usually only has 2 packs in stock for about $3-4 each (North Cali). They will be with all the random spare panel clips and bolts and stuff on that "Help!" isle. I had to go to 3 different stores around town to get enough!

All the plastic rivets holding the wheel well liner you CANNOT reuse, you have to break them- Autex 30pcs Nylon Bumper Fastener Rivet
You can use a standard hand riveter like you use for aluminum or steel rivets. However, I ended up grabbing this tool from Harbor Freight (which was actually easier to use for these rivet types), and i think it actually comes with enough rivets to do this job if you only break out the front ones. Hand riveter w/ 40 industrial strength poly rivets

Here's the (4) push pins that hold the top of the bumper behind the grill. There's (2) of these in each wheel well liner, (1) on either side of the suspension, too- Autex 10pcs Fender Liner Fastener Rivet Push Clips

And this will make the entire process so much easier (breaking the rivets in the wheel well still sucks, though)- AFA Tooling Fastener Remover

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Sticky Material right there!!

I would recommend changing your foglight assemblies while doing this as they probably are as bad as the headlights and they will be very easily accessible during this debocle.

0. Take a picture of your old tired faded headlights.
1. Remove the 6 pins holding the grill in place, lift to remove grill.
2. Drink a beer.
3. remove the 4 pins at the top center of the front bumper fascia. (these were behind the grill)
4. remove the 2 bolts on bottom of fascia under front bumper
5. Chug a beer.
6. Remove the 6 plastic rivets from each wheel well liner (3 on each side) I couldn't do this without breaking them...
7. the cover should be loose, disconnect the fog lamp wiring from the assemblies. Wrestle with the side part that is still latched to the turn signal corner of the headlights. (insert loud curse word here) I pulled and twisted until it broke. (insert many curse words here) pull back fender flares until clips release (or break in my case) The cover should come off. Stand back in utter disbelief and stare at the mess you just made and are wondering how the hell you will put it back together. (while drinking a beer)
8. Sit down in a comfy camping chair and get more beer,... then, swear that if you ever met the engineer that came up with this design you would throat punch him. Laugh at yourself and go take a piss.
9. Each headlight assembly has 3 bolts to remove. Disconnect the wiring harness that is attached to the frame. Wrestle these out.
10. Install new assemblies, rewire them and bolt back into place.
11. Now, wrestle the front bumper cover somewhat into position and re-install the first 4 pins you took out to hold it up.
12. Curse loudly as you realize the clips that were holding in the fender flares broke and you have to zip tie them back into place
13. I put the 2 bolts on the bottom back in to relieve the weight while re-aligning the fascia, wheel well iner, and tab on the bottom corner that holds it all together.
14. Get your new rivet tool and plastic rivets (I had to go to Harbor Freight to buy this $12) and align the holes of the bumper cover and wheel liner and re-rivet together. Do all 6.
15. Drink your last beer, clean up all your stuff, wipe doen headlights from your dirty hands, take a picture.
16. Enjoy your new headlights and convince yourself it was all worth it. (but you'll still throat punch the engineer if given the chance)

I may have forgotten some minor things, but this is how my afternoon went while tackling this insane project.
I hope it is helpful.

Reactions: CP07

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Gents, may I know which brands you ordered and from where? my headlights are in bad condition now

·
Administrator
15,932 Posts
Gents, may I know which brands you ordered and from where? my headlights are in bad condition now
@Ahmed Hello, my old friend! How are you? What's wrong with your headlights?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
@Ahmed Hello, my old friend! How are you? What's wrong with your headlights?

Hello man ,, wow you still around and responding very quick as usual ;) .. Im doing great , still keeping the XK, but I dont use it much. Busy in my new hobby , Motorcycling 😎

the headlights are faded and yellowish, have polished them several times but I think its time to replace them if cost is ok

·
Super Moderator
6,931 Posts
@Ahmed;

Good to see you back; Here are the headlight housings I have;

Be careful on that bike; I had 2 close friends (at different times) die at a very young age on motor-cycles.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
@Ahmed;

Good to see you back; Here are the headlight housings I have;

Be careful on that bike; I had 2 close friends (at different times) die at a very young age on motor-cycles.

Thanks for the link ,,Great to see the old friends still around

and yes its a risky game , but I do Adventure type of motorcycling , not racing. which is a bit less risky

Reactions: dar124

·
Super Moderator
6,931 Posts
Thanks for the link ,,Great to see the old friends still around

and yes its a risky game , but we I do Adventure type of motorcycling , not racing. which is a bit less risky

View attachment 41565
Happy to hear that; Just an FYI, I'm actually in Manama, Bahrain right now, traveling for work related stuff;

Stay safe my friend.

·
Administrator
15,932 Posts
@Ahmed Since you have an XH you need to make sure that the headlights will work on it. There is a difference between the XK and XH where the headlights are concerned. If I remember correctly it has to do with the wiring and an extra light in the turn signal? Not sure on that part.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
@Ahmed Since you have an XH you need to make sure that the headlights will work on it. There is a difference between the XK and XH where the headlights are concerned. If I remember correctly it has to do with the wiring and an extra light in the turn signal? Not sure on that part.

Yes ,,, good point , I now recall that difference, I think the bulb sockets are different !

Reactions: jeep5253
21 - 40 of 44 Posts