Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone tried these out? Meaning, what do they look like installed. Do they look flush like the manufatured one? Are the wiring harnesses terrible different? I see some great deals on ebay and wanted to find out. I dont want something thats gonna look out of place if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
809 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I have a Kenwood DNX7100 in-dash

Do you have a double DIN dash? Has the wider opening.

The installation is as good as the instruction that come with the unit.

IT will take a while to figure it all out and make it work, but I am very happy with mine.

Be patient and take your time.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the non-nav factory radio in it. Not sure which dash that would be.

·
Registered
140 Posts
ISO 7736
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
International standard ISO 7736 defines a standard size for car audio head units. The standard was originally established by the German standards body Deutsches Institut für Normung as DIN 75490, and is therefore commonly referred to as the "DIN car radio size". It was adopted as an international standard in 1984.
Head units generally come in either single DIN (180 x 50 mm panel) or double DIN (180 x 100 mm panel) size. The depth is not standardized. The US standard for a DIN radio is 2" x 7" and the Double DIN sized radio is a 4" x 7". Some radios in Japanese "Kei" vehicles do not conform to the DIN standard however.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ISO 7736
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
International standard ISO 7736 defines a standard size for car audio head units. The standard was originally established by the German standards body Deutsches Institut für Normung as DIN 75490, and is therefore commonly referred to as the "DIN car radio size". It was adopted as an international standard in 1984.
Head units generally come in either single DIN (180 x 50 mm panel) or double DIN (180 x 100 mm panel) size. The depth is not standardized. The US standard for a DIN radio is 2" x 7" and the Double DIN sized radio is a 4" x 7". Some radios in Japanese "Kei" vehicles do not conform to the DIN standard however.
So in shot what your saying is that an aftermarket double din radio should fit the same as a factory one correct?

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
This is the Pioneer AVIC after market head unit I installed in my XK. I purchased a double din dash bezel from a dealership for $100, mounting kit for $30 and the head unit for $500:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So then you do need a bezel and mounting kit. OK OK Well, that look really good. Doesnt look like an aftermarket install. What about Quality? I am trying to stay away from spening to much. There are some on ebay for around $300 or so. What am I giving up? Is the Nav not as good, DVDs dont play as well?

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
So then you do need a bezel and mounting kit. OK OK Well, that look really good. Doesnt look like an aftermarket install. What about Quality? I am trying to stay away from spening to much. There are some on ebay for around $300 or so. What am I giving up? Is the Nav not as good, DVDs dont play as well?
From the description of the head unit in your link, it looks like it has more features than mine: microphone, sd card slot and usb. The lower price may be because it does not have satellite radio like mine and the TV is analog(most if not all US broadcasts are now digital). Not being familiar with the unit you are looking at I couldn't be sure about quality, but from the photo it looks pretty nice- definitely better than the stock unit.

To install my after market head unit in my 2007 XK(newer Commanders have a different Can Bus) I had to:

*Buy the Metra 99-6510 double din mounting kit.( there are others out there that will work as good)
*Buy the PAC C2R-CHY radio replacement interface for 2004 thru 2007 Jeep with factory radio models REF,REC,RAQ, and RAK.(the radio model number should be somewhere on the front of your existing factory radio)
*Purchased a replacement dash bezel with Double Din radio provision.
*Since my factory set up was not the deluxe or Boston Acoustic amplified system, I replaced my speakers with some stronger Kenwoods to handle the increased output levels from the new head unit.

Removing the dash bezel is simple. Once removed, you can access the four screws anchoring the radio and it comes right out and the PAC adapter plugs right in. Overall the swap is very straight forward and easy to do.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see your point. having to buy a digital tuner (pointless for what I am trying to accomplish with a clean install) would bring the value down. Not to concerned about satellite if I can put all my music on there. I will keep hunting for a better value! Thanks!

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I agree, you need to invest about $100 for a double DIN dash. That's an easy swap. The bezel, again, 30-50 easy enough.

The radio you showed appears to have all RCA plugs. They wont connect to the CANBUS.

I didnt use the PAC C2R-CHY radio replacement interface. I bought a new male plug for the harness for $15 on ebay and connected the wires together. Same colours.

The radio you showed only did not look bad, But I dont think the install would go well/easy unless you wanted to run all new speaker wires.

I bought my radio from someone here for $400. There are good deals out there. I had my dash several months before I got the radio.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Good eye- I did not notice there were only RCA's on the unit- that would be a lot more "adapting" work.

Originally I was going to use the harness as you did cico7 but when I looked at one available at the time I could not see a lead that would interface with the VSS circuit(I did read in the head unit manual where tapping in to the vehicle's VSS was not required, advised, though).

I went with the PAC unit because the NAV unit manual claimed it would be more accurate when interfaced with the vehicle's VSS configuration. I was a little nervous about splicing in to the circuit beyond the factory harness and the C2R-CHY is ready to go.

It looks like you basically achieved the same result and saved yourself about 35 to 45 bucks.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Nice unit Smitty- Like that motorized flip up screen. Like you , it took me longer to route the GPS and Satellite antenna wires than it did to install the head unit. Curious- did you use a Can Bus adapter or did you wire in with harness like Cico did?

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
I had a pac unit, but I had a plug and all the wires matched up.
it just worked!
Appreciate the feedback man- You have me rethinking it now. Wish I would have hooked up with you before I used the PAC, if the harness you used would work with my unit(and it sounds like it would) I would have a LOT smaller bundle of wiring in there and could have put the cash on my grab handles or some other mod. Do you remember where you picked your harness up? I am very intersted in finding out more about this- may be even pull the thing back out of the dash and redo it.

Sorry alopez1334- not trying to hijack your thread- but we're getting some good info here!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I bought the install kit from Crutchfield which includes the wiring plugs and bezel. There was another thing that had to do with the wiring, but it escapes my memory now. Something that keeps you from burning the computer system up. If I remember right, it was expensive, maybe a couple hundred bucks for the install kit. The guys at Crutchfield are extremely helpful.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts