Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I know there are a million threads about this so I wanted to post my install. I had the stock 6 disc in my '07. I wanted Bluetooth and Nav and was almost as expensive to buy the Jeep add-ons so I bought an aftermarket stereo. I knew we didn't have a single din, is actually a 1 1/2 DIN and I wanted to install a double din, not much other choices out there. The electronics store siad it couldn't be done unless I went out and bought a new factory dash with the nav unit hole.
I am cheap and handy (only done one stereo install before though)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1. I took off the dash cap and removed the radio bezel. This requires cutting the melted tabs on the back.
2. I then went and bought a piece of plastic for $2 at a local shop. The plastic was black but had the right texture.
3. I rough cut the shape and cut out of the new radio
4. once I had the radio installed, I did final fit. The plastic cut with an Olfa knife and I sanded the edges to smooth it out.
5. I could have left the plastic and it would have looked good but I chose to take some extra pieces from an aftermarket cash kit I had and cut and fit them
IMG00035-20100825-1550.jpg

IMG00036-20100825-1550.jpg

IMG00034-20100825-1550.jpg

IMG00038-20100825-1641.jpg

IMG00037-20100825-1641.jpg
You have to buy a can bus wiring kit, at least for those with the Boston Accoustics stereos, but there is enough room for any stereo you want. Down side, the amp cannot be hooked up and you lose control of the adjustability of the individual speakers (you can fade left to right but not front to back)
Now I have, USB, SD card, Ipod, DVD, Nav and back-up camera all in one unit. Doesn't quite look factory but doesn't look bad

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update:
didn't like the way the radio sat in so I tore it all apart and put spacers in, everything now sits flush.
IMG00042-20100827-1227.jpg

IMG00040-20100827-1225.jpg

IMG00041-20100827-1225.jpg

IMG00039-20100827-1225.jpg

·
Registered
62 Posts
What plastic piece specifically did you purchase? I just picked up my Jeep this morning and got my radio two days ago. Looking to get this done this weekend. :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a different bezel - from Crutchfield, but sure you can get it anywhere like best buy:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Alright, run into an issue here. For some reason, our local main shops think that we have to buy either a $130 or $160 wiring harness in order for the radio to work with the stock speakers? Is this true? I have never had any issues installing (primarily my friend does most of the work and I just assist) aftermarket radios in my 2007 Infinity (has factory amp), 2004 Honda Civic (not sure, but maybe has factory cheapo amp), and 1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT (factory amp), and have never had to purchase more than a $10 wiring harness.

Is this truly the case with a 2006 Commander? Or would I be perfectly fine buying this harness from Amazon for $12???

Amazon - Wiring Harness

·
Registered
195 Posts
What factory radio do you have? I had the basic radio set up. I did need to buy an adapter to patch into the CAN-BUS system for power ($30 or so), but as far as speakers go, I just hooked it up via the new head unit wiring harness. I also replaces all of the speakers, since the stockers were ****e anyway. I have an 07, but should not be different than the 06 in this regard.

I am not familiar with the Boston Acoustics system enough to tell you if that is what you had.

·
Registered
62 Posts
What factory radio do you have? I had the basic radio set up. I did need to buy an adapter to patch into the CAN-BUS system for power ($30 or so), but as far as speakers go, I just hooked it up via the new head unit wiring harness. I also replaces all of the speakers, since the stockers were ****e anyway. I have an 07, but should not be different than the 06 in this regard.

I am not familiar with the Boston Acoustics system enough to tell you if that is what you had.
I have the factory Navi for the '06 line. REC I think? I should have the Boston Acoustics setup, sounds decent enough for me, will compliment it with 1 12" as soon as I get the aftermarket radio taken care of first. My friend that has done all of my installs thinks he should be able to power the factory amp for the speakers w/o needing any extra device (like the one you used?). So I guess we'll see. I ordered the harness from Amazon yesterday so hopefully it will be in tomorrow.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Theoretically all you should need is a power-on signal line from the head unit to the amp, which should be provided in the harness and a line out signal - likely from your pre-outs on the head unit. If I were you, I would compare the amp in the head unit with the external B-A amp. Likely the head unit is better in terms of power and THD. I have not seen the unit you are installing but most likely you will have a set of subwoofer pre-outs that can run to a amp/sub configuration. I installed a JL Audio amp and 10" JL Audio sub in a sealed wedge enclosure just behind the second set of seats. I played with dual 10's but it was just way too much bass. A 12 shoudl do you nicely.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Theoretically all you should need is a power-on signal line from the head unit to the amp, which should be provided in the harness and a line out signal - likely from your pre-outs on the head unit. If I were you, I would compare the amp in the head unit with the external B-A amp. Likely the head unit is better in terms of power and THD. I have not seen the unit you are installing but most likely you will have a set of subwoofer pre-outs that can run to a amp/sub configuration. I installed a JL Audio amp and 10" JL Audio sub in a sealed wedge enclosure just behind the second set of seats. I played with dual 10's but it was just way too much bass. A 12 shoudl do you nicely.
I am sometimes not a patient person when it comes to "toys", so I decided to go to Best Buy to see if they had a harness (that wasn't $160) and they did have one fro a whopping $21 (I still only paid $11 from Amazon) so we decided to do the install. I have to admit, out of the last 3 vehicles I have owned, the Jeep was by far the easiest to tear down the dash since it's all one piece. :lol:

However, once we got the harness/radio altogether and tried to power it on, we got nothing. My friend double and triple checked the connections of the harness. He even hooked it up into his own car with just power, ground, and yellow and still got nothing on the radio. So we're thinking either I have a bad harness or a bad unit altogether. Very disappointing either way, as I'm back on the stock Navi unit.

I have the Pioneer AVH=4200DVD. Another user made a post on here that is using the same unit, so I guess it'd be nice if they could chime in as well. But what do you think? I was going to take it to a local car audio store this morning, but I overslept and had to come straight to work... :(

·
Registered
195 Posts
does your harness look like either of these?

Simplest thing is to visit www.crutchfield.com and go to Outfit my car. Add a head unit to your cart and all of the needed equipment to do the install should pop up as options to purchase. Compare that with what you are using.

OH and its a simple thing that you probably checked but make sure the fuse on the head unit is not blown. I have had this happen to me during installation when I accidentally grounded out the unit. Not a typical thing, but it happens.

·
Registered
62 Posts
does your harness look like either of these?

Simplest thing is to visit www.crutchfield.com and go to Outfit my car. Add a head unit to your cart and all of the needed equipment to do the install should pop up as options to purchase. Compare that with what you are using.

OH and its a simple thing that you probably checked but make sure the fuse on the head unit is not blown. I have had this happen to me during installation when I accidentally grounded out the unit. Not a typical thing, but it happens.
The harness I have is just the wiring itself, no extra dongles as seen above.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You need one of these to get power from the CAN-BUS system in todays modern cars. I think one with the blue part is for radios w external amps and the other (what I have) is for the base radios. The CAN-BUS is a digital signal and must be converted to analog power for the radio to turn on. This was mentioned in a few of the earlier posts and is prolly why its not working.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, missed the questions posted.
1. yes you need the Can-Bus wiring system
2. if you are installing a NAV unit, and you want to be able to use it while you drive (this includes playing DVD's while you drive), don't buy a kit. Simply attach the green "park brake" wire of the radio to the ground wire.

3.the black plastic I used was a basic double din bezel...BUT I had the 6 disc stereo before so I had to custom make the actual dash piece...or buy a expensive one off Ebay. I used a $2 piece of textured plastic and ccut it to shape

1 - 15 of 15 Posts