Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had success with an aftermarket cv axle on the passenger side while running a lift? I just replaced my OEM with a precision brand and I believe it is occasionally binding and making a loud bang while reversing wheels turned.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I went aftermarket with mine and had numerous problems; I tried Cardone and Surtrack and had problems with both brands; the Cardone pulled itself apart on the inboard joint after only a couple hundred miles and the Surtrack started binding after about 500 miles.

I'm now on my second set of Surtrack axles and they're much better. Quality control just seems to be worse on aftermarket parts. However, I kept my original axles and replaced the boots so when these aftermarket ones go I'm going back to Mopar.

It's also worth noting that Surtrack used a different inboard joint than Mopar; Mopar uses a cross-groove CV joint while Surtrack uses a tripod style joint. This joint is not well suited for a lifted application, so if your new axles use tripod joints it's likely that's the problem.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went aftermarket with mine and had numerous problems; I tried Cardone and Surtrack and had problems with both brands; the Cardone pulled itself apart on the inboard joint after only a couple hundred miles and the Surtrack started binding after about 500 miles.

I'm now on my second set of Surtrack axles and they're much better. Quality control just seems to be worse on aftermarket parts. However, I kept my original axles and replaced the boots so when these aftermarket ones go I'm going back to Mopar.

It's also worth noting that Surtrack used a different inboard joint than Mopar; Mopar uses a cross-groove CV joint while Surtrack uses a tripod style joint. This joint is not well suited for a lifted application, so if your new axles use tripod joints it's likely that's the problem.
sure enough passenger side blinds up at full droop.. will not be driving like this until I replace it, mopar axles are very expensive I guess for a reason.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts