Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Dallas. New to the boards & to Jeep Commanders.:D

Like the title notes, has anybody on this forum board had an aftermarket rear overhead DVD player installed? I just wanted to see which brands are compatible with the uneven roof/headliner lined Commander. Photos would be great as well! I'm kind of limited right now because each brand uses different mold/trim rings that are thick enough (in height) to notch out for the uneven ceiling line. Every electronic store I've visited so far, you'll only see a few displays showing this ring/trim piece installed.

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
251 Posts
Chris - Check EBay...you can find some factory Commander DVD units that may end up being priced the same as after market or a little more that you may want to consider so you can have a clean install and all the wires will plug and play like factory. I am not certain of the prices just saw them when I was doing a Commander search.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply...I'm open to other options, Ebay being one of them. Can someone please get me the dimensions of the overhead LCD unit? Is the DVD player seperate mounted behind the center console?

//Edit// Dims for VES LCD unit are 12" x 12" x 3" and yes, DVD player is behind the center console.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Has anyone installed one or seen under the headliner? I'm wondering if there are "lugs" or a bracket on the roof to install the factory DVD hidden under the headliner? That would make the install much easier since there would already be a mounting point.

There looks like enough room for a small unit just in front of the hump, look at the placement on the factory installed ones. I saw one on Crutchfield that looked like it would fit based on the dimensions, but haven't seen it in person yet. I will look for the link...

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have an aftermarket 10" screen, however I had to get a version that swivels because of the lump in the ceiling...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dabitz said:
I have an aftermarket 10" screen, however I had to get a version that swivels because of the lump in the ceiling...
Yeah because once you go beyond that hump past the front seats...there's no support between the headliner and roof/celing. Something would have to be fabbed up to use as an anchor plate.

I'm running a 10.4" XO Vision, model GO1042, monitor and it's pretty close to mine and the passenger's head when in use. It as well, is a center point swivel type unit. I'll try to get some pics here shortly w/ a celly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts