Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try a Mag-Hytec transmission pan or other brand?

Looks like Mag-Hytec makes a higher capacity pan for the 545rfe that is supposed to fit a Commander.

Anyone done a pan drop and filter change on a 4WD Hemi Commander?

Thanks

J

·
0 Posts
im gonna bring this post back from the dead. im also looking at doing a tranny service on my 06 xk hemi. has any one installed a extra capacity oil pan? mine has 130k on the OD and im thinking it would be a worthwhile investment to get the added capacity and cooling effect.
what brands fit with the exhaust, and what filters work with the pan?

·
2,248 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
i dont have a gauge hooked up to the tranny right now, so i cant say what the temp is running at. I found a app for the ipad that will give me realtime monitoring, i just need to order the bluetooth to obdII unit to get it set up. thanks for the link Huey. i put it on the lift today, and it looks like the only clearance issue i might run into is on the passanger side where the exhaust runs. im going to call PML next week and see if they have anything available for the commander. looking at their website they have 4 different pans to fit our transmissions.
thanks for the replys

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
i dont have a gauge hooked up to the tranny right now, so i cant say what the temp is running at. I found a app for the ipad that will give me realtime monitoring, i just need to order the bluetooth to obdII unit to get it set up. thanks for the link Huey. i put it on the lift today, and it looks like the only clearance issue i might run into is on the passanger side where the exhaust runs. im going to call PML next week and see if they have anything available for the commander. looking at their website they have 4 different pans to fit our transmissions.
thanks for the replys
Your probably talking about torque pro and an elm327. I don't think I've heard of much success getting transmission temps this way. Let us know if it works out!

J

·
0 Posts
Your probably talking about torque pro and an elm327. I don't think I've heard of much success getting transmission temps this way. Let us know if it works out!
yea i downloaded the engine link app. it supposedly reads and deletes OBD2 codes and has a real time reading on a customizable dash. but i havent messed with it yet to see what all works.

J

·
0 Posts
i called pml today and spoke with a nice CS rep. she said that they dont offer anything to fit in the commanders or grand cherokees with 4.7 or 5.7 545RFE trannys. i put the commander back on the lift to check it out again.
It looks like the only clearance issue will be on the passanger side where the exhaust from the drivers side manifold jogs around the passanger side catalytic converter. If i could route this section differently, i believe i can get a larger transmission pan to fit.
we use a exhaust shop in raleigh that does a good job fabrication stuff. im going to check with them to see what is doable.
does anyone know if there is a aftermarket cat with a smaller profile? these stock ones are 5-6 inches round.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I've posted this same question when aftermarket pans have come up before I think.

Why would you spend the money and time to install an aftermarket pan (rerouting exhaust), when a MUCH bigger transmission cooler would be easier and cheaper?

http://www.oregonperformancetransmission.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_code=LNG-47391

PML says this one clears the exhaust on an XK
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/PML-Capacity-Transmission-Transmissions-Relief/dp/B00AQOS29g[/ame]

·
Registered
383 Posts
Realize that this is an old thread, but there are other reasons to run an aftermarket aluminum deep pan. The deeper pan helps avoid starvation due to slosh on harsh offroad conditions. The super thick pans also help to rigid the transmission case reducing flex.

·
Registered
49 Posts
drfeelgood?

Anyone try a Mag-Hytec transmission pan or other brand?

Looks like Mag-Hytec makes a higher capacity pan for the 545rfe that is supposed to fit a Commander.

Anyone done a pan drop and filter change on a 4WD Hemi Commander?

Thanks
Very curious what your goal is that this after-market pan may help with? Volume/Temp/added Drain plug/Starvation/Looks etc...
Thx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts