Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the air bag light seems to be staying on in my wife's XK been no problems with accidents or bumps, on other mopar's I've owned this has eluded the battery voltage was low. Of course the manual says take it to the dealer. any thoughts?

Swanny

·
Super Moderator
5,779 Posts
Well the air bag light seems to be staying on in my wife's XK been no problems with accidents or bumps, on other mopar's I've owned this has eluded the battery voltage was low. Of course the manual says take it to the dealer. any thoughts?

Swanny
Swanny;

You may have to go to the dealership and have the OCS recalibrated.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/13097-airbag-light-dash-stays.html

artmanr said:
The problem has been resolved. After taking out the seat to check for damaged wires and checking all the fuses I was still getting the warning light.

My last ditched effort was to take out the seat again, disconnect and then reconnect all of the wiring harness plugs on both the seat and the module attached to the floor. I even removed the door sill plate and felt around under the carpet for any problems. Everything seemed fine and no loose connections or crimped wires. I reinstalled the seat.

Upon starting, same problem. Airbag warning light lit up on dash.

Tried the get a code by doing the key on....key off...3 times. No luck on my 2006. No codes. Autozone code reader....no codes.

Took it to a local mechanic who had a much better code reader. He hooked it up for about 30 seconds and found a code for:

OCS calibration. Apparently it needs to be recalibrated to know how heavy the person in the seat is.

Mechanic told me to bring it back in a few days. Took it home and parked it.

Next time I went to the Jeep, no warning light. Seat works fine. Seatbelt warning lights are back functioning. So I think the mechanic actually reset the computer somehow when he checked the codes.

I don't remember the code, but it was for the OCS like stated.

I hope this helps someone.

AR

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes a standard OBD 2 Code reader won't read codes for airbags. You need a reader that is made to read airbag codes. An airbag code reader should tell you exactly where the problem is. Many times airbag problems are due to the clock spring inside the steering wheel. I have had a bad clock spring on three Chrysler vehicles over the last few years that gave me an airbag error light.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thread

I saw that thread but since it was a 2010 post I hoped there would be new info that i was unable to search. Called the dealer to make an appointment and was told that though I could not get in till next week, the air bag would not go off unexpectedly but also may not go off when needed.

Swanny

·
Super Moderator
5,779 Posts
I saw that thread but since it was a 2010 post I hoped there would be new info that i was unable to search. Called the dealer to make an appointment and was told that though I could not get in till next week, the air bag would not go off unexpectedly but also may not go off when needed.

Swanny
Just trying to help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts