Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took the snorkel off the box and the drain from the bottom to increase the airflow.

1) start here

2) unclip and unhook the hoses

3) remove intake

4) Remove coolant overflow

5) you have to tqake the screw out here...

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a drain for any water that comes in. But if you are going to open the air intake, need to be sure any water that comes in can get out, quickly.

·
Registered
707 Posts
That is why I want to buy this prefilter/drycharger. K&N claims that the drycharger will keep most water out of their CAI.

The configuration of the CAI that are on some Jeeps seem to be pretty protective against water entering into them. Most import car's CAI suck air by the bumpers. That is why K&N gives them a prefilter.

I heard that you will only need a prefilter if you are going off road or in a dusty environment. I do not plan on going off road, but I just want to be safe against water coming into my engine.
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RF-1048DK

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do not have one, so I can not answer. but the price seems right.
Search the forum on the filters, I am sure there is more info.

That will be one of my future purchases........

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for the info and pics cico, you make life easier for us mechanically inept people.

·
Registered
122 Posts
So I took the plunge and delt with snorkle. I took the flap off and left the extension behind the grill on. Just used a dremel and buzzed off the plastic rivets. My only line of thought there was that it might direct a little more air sort of like "ram air" (don't worry I have no delusions that this is ram air). My only concern is water getting in from rain, but it seems most others who have done similar havn't had any problems.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know other's have commented on pre-filters, etc., but I installed an aftermarket CAI (Airaid) and was initially concerned with possible water issues. I have taken my Commander through some decent water, driven at high speeds in absolute downpours, snow (deep), slush, mud, etc. and I used to check all the time to see if I needed a pre-filter. I have never been able to find a single droplet of water anywhere near the CAI, so I will confidently say that a pre-filter is not necessary. However, I would never tell someone to not purchase one, especially if it eases your mind.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Oh, and I forgot to mention that right off the bat after removing the flap I saw about a 1 to 1.5 mpg improvement. Also, throttle resonse does seem a bit "peppier" then before.

Not bad for something that only took about 15 minutes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts