Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to add a better air compressor to my trail kit. I spent much of last night looking at different options on the net. I spent this morning looking at several tool stores in town.

What I came up with is a kit that includes a high output 12 volt air compressor using a heavy cord, 30 amp inline fuse and alligator clips to connect to the battery. I bought extra air lines with quick disconnects and a clip on inflator with a gauge for airing up big tires.

I did not like the plastic case and it did not have room for the extra lines and tools so I also got an aluminum case and then I found a roll around canvas bag to make it even easier to carry.

The Air compressor was on sale for half price at Harbor freight it was only $50.00. I expected to pay a couple hundred for the compressor, but I got all the things in the pictures for that.

Now I know that if I do not have any pictures, it does not exist. So here are a bunch of pictures. Starting with the roll around bag on to all of the components.

Roll around canvas bag with wheels and retractable handle

Bag unzipped to show aluminum case

Aluminum locking case

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The next three pictures.

Aluminum case with locking double top with entire kit inside

Components, clip on tire inflator w/gauge, three air hoses with quick disconnects, Air Compressor

Air compressor connected to battery

Max pressure 150 PSI, 2.54 CFM, 14 gauge cord, hose rating 600 PSI burst

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
and the next five pictures

Case with only the air compressor

Case, compressor and one air hose with quick disconnects

Case, compressor, and two hoses

case, compressor, and three hoses

Case, compressor, three hoses and clip on tire inflator.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
A couple quick ?? What is the rating on the compressor?
Is that tape on your center seat?
Are you still wintering in Az? Or summering there too?

Nice pics!!

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Cico,

I edited the pictures with the ratings.

The tape that you see on the center seat is actually velcro to hold up the locking aluminum box that we fabricated at my plant. It holds up the lid when I push it against the Velcro. I posted pictures of the box somewhere on here before.

We are still in Arizona, came down for the winter and Lee loves the weather and she spends much of the day in the pool or hot tub. It is fine with me but now I have to fly everywhere I go.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Nice addition to the tool chest. I think it is 118 today so it is a good day to hit the pool.

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here are two pictures. The first shows the aluminum locking box open. The box is deep enough to stand up quarts of oil along the closest section of the storage box. If you look you can see the tops of the oil containers.

The second picture shows the storage box closed. The carpet is also held down with Velcro strips so that I can change it if needed and it hides the storage box from casual view.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
What do you use for deflating? I have the ARB E-Z Tire Deflater. This thing deflates quick. I went from 35 to 20 psi in like 5 seconds. I used it last weekend for the first time. Works great. I also have the ARB tire repair kit.

http://www.arbusa.com/tire_accessories.php

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that I can use the inflator to also deflate tires. It has a trigger handle and a gauge. I am thinking that I can clip it on the valve stem and disconnect the air line and then just pull the trigger. It also has a lock on the handle to keep the trigger down. We will find out on the trail ride next weekend. You reminded me that I do have a plug kit somewhere. I will either look for it or get another, Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
That's an awesome kit, thanks for sharing. Did you get everything at Harbor Freight or was this spread out among several stores?

I also like that storage box, need to find someone to help me make one. Do you have a spec sheet for it that you're willing to share?

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks, I got everthing at Harbor Freight.

I have a drawing of the box with the dimensions. The edges of the top are bent over and welded to create a lip over the main section of the box. The guys welded a piano type hinge across the back and put a divider across the front to seperate the oil bottles from the main box. They also put rubber trim on all of the exposed edges. They were going to put a lift piston on the lid but I did not think it was heavy enough to need it. They did put a lock on the lid so that I could carry my shotgun in the box legally. The bottom of the storage box is bolted to the floor using the threaded hole in the floor and the bolt that came out of it. The top is also hinged about 5 inches from the edge so that the lid can fold up against the back of the seat. If you hold it back more you might not need the velcro to hold it up.

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe we could get 4.7commander to make them and add them to his product line. He has my permission to use any of the details that I have and I will remove it and give him detailed pictures if he wants them. Up to you 4.7, sounds like rwmorrisonjr might be a customer.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just out of curiousity......

What was your choice for going with a set up such as this that is direct to the battery, rather than going with one of the Inverter's in the back, and possibly a little cheaper air compressor (not sure) or one that you may already have lying around?

I've been thinking about getting an inverter for a multiple of reasons, this would just add to the collection.

Perhaps the air compressor would draw too much juice from it.

Looks like an amazing set up though, I may have to check out the store later this week for the case!

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
robochick, you hit it with the "too much draw" part of your post. Directly connecting it to the battery minimizes current loss and maximizes the compressor's power, and also minimizes the possibility of a short circuit or fire.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I have an itty bitty compressor that I use to inflate the kids' tires. It takes about 15 minutes for stupid bike tires to inflate. I'd have to camp out somewhere for a night to let it inflate a vehicle tire.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Great Air compressor kit and very cheap too. well done.

did you try to air up a tire from something like 15 to 35psi and check the needed time?

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The compressor does draw a lot of current, it has a 30 amp inline fuse. They recommend that you run your engine to minimize the effect on the battery. I considered mounting it under the hood permanently but it is somewhat large and I like the fact that it can be used by several vehicles when portable. I have had some experience with invertors and they need to be fairly large to run anything with a capacitor start electric motor. In the past I carried a Tripplite FC-500 invertor, it took up about a cubic foot and weighed about 40 pounds. It also cost about $400.

We will time it on airing up a tire for reference. Another option is to add a tank to increase the stored volume of air, but that would decrease it's portability

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I have no financial interest in selling compressors. I just wanted to post the idea and what I chose to do for a portable compressor. Tomorrow I will air down a tire and see how well it actually works and post the timing results. If it is not up to the task I will probably get one of those $200 to $300 ones from a 4X4 shop, but it may surprise me. I turned it on to check it and it seemed to put out a lot of air.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts