Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '07 Limited with the 4.7L and the rear air. I have developed a leak under the rear skidplate and the dealer wants over $1000.00 to replace the lines. any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Find a local A/C shop and save 50%

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Once you open the lines, and get air in the system, the system has to be brought down to a vacuum for 30 minutes to remove any air and boil off any moisture left by the air in the system.

So you need some pretty expensive tools to do this, NOT to mention some knowledge on how to do AC work.

As well, technically its illegal to vent refrigerant into the air, you have to recover the refrigerant before opening the system.

$1000 to replace AC lines sounds incredibly high, like a49erFan said, shop around and ask several independent shops and AC shops. This repair should NOT require any of the "Dealer Only Proprietary Tools or access to the Proprietary Electronic Protocols" so you do NOT have to bent over a barrel by Dealership for this repair. Chrysler saw too it that there are plenty of other repairs you are bent over the barrel.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
If the line has a hole in it, one can assume the refrigerant recovery step won't be required.
Thats a good point, if its a hole or the leak has resulted in loosing so much refrigerant the compressor won't even engage when you turn the AC on, you could do the work yourself guilt free.

Its NOT like EPA police are going to come jumping out of the trees if you vent your refrigerant in your garage, but the fines are huge, so I would definitely NOT do it front of some environmentally conscience busy body that would report you.

Keep in mind, if you open a line with pressure in it, even if there seems to be no refrigerant left, there could still be some left and it will come out quickly and be very cold, could cause frost bite burns. A huge rush of refrigerant out of the system, like disconnecting a line, is likely to take oil with it, a slow release at the vent leaves the oil behind.

Suggest you replace drier/reciever if you open the lines, the shop will propably tell you there are doing the same thing if they have to replace lines. If they just have to replace seals, they might NOT.

Then you just have to take the vehicle to a pro to be serviced.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Mongo doesn't know anything about short replies, lol.

It's not even about the EPA, refrigerant is horrible, horrible stuff to inhale accidentally, if you were to take a good breath full of it you'd probably have some problems.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
It's not even about the EPA, refrigerant is horrible, horrible stuff to inhale accidentally, if you were to take a good breath full of it you'd probably have some problems.
Your sure you're NOT thinking about the pressure or cold injury hazards? The biggest hazard I've heard credibly warned is if it sprays into the eyes in liquid form it could potential blind from the resulting cold injuries, even that sound remote to me, but I would never risk it. R-134a has a low toxicity if inhaled, as do most refrigerants.

I'm NOT an expert, but I see people warn about breathing in refrigerant, but there is no literature out there warning against it, and everything that talks about the toxicity of refrigerants states its a very low toxicity. The MSDS even says its low toxicity, but warns that replacing the oxygen in the lungs with it can cause heart arrhythmia.

Filling your lungs with any heavier than air gas, or anything other than air, has the potential to kill and could likely cause heart and lung problems, maybe that is where this "refrigerant is Nasty Stuff" comes from. I think its really just the hazard of dealing with any non-oxygen gas under pressure. If you do something really dumb, let a freak accident happen, and fill your lungs with it, replacing the oxygen, you can cause problems. Think about it, if you did the same with water, you'd have all sorts of problems, but water isn't Nasty stuff is it?

·
Registered
378 Posts
It smells really strange too, the combination of that and what you mentioned is why you want to be careful around it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hmmm, my dealer told me the AC accumulator for the rear air is what is causing my refridgerant leak. I got quoted $1000+ as well....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts