Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
35 psi seems to low for the 245/75R17 BFGoodrich All Terrians. I know you can do the chalk test, but was hoping somebody already did it and share the psi for the tires?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Did you search for this test? I could not find anyone who did one.

·
Super Moderator
15,096 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
35 psi seems to low for the 245/75R17 BFGoodrich All Terrians. I know you can do the chalk test, but was hoping somebody already did it and share the psi for the tires?
Thanks!
My dad explained exactly how tire presure works a few weeks ago and I remember him mentioning it having something to do with the width of the tire. Not so much the height. Since its the same width tire as stock id imagine 35 psi is fine.

What makes you think 35 psi is to low? Are the outside treads wearing faster then the tread in the middle of the tire?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They're brand new...It looks like the sides bulge out as if there isn't enough air compared to the stock tires. Looks like they are aired down to go off road. Doesn't the bigger the tire the less air pressure it takes to hold the same weight?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
They're brand new...It looks like the sides bulge out as if there isn't enough air compared to the stock tires. Looks like they are aired down to go off road. Doesn't the bigger the tire the less air pressure it takes to hold the same weight?
What is the max. psi of the tires and what is the load range?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Hmmm, maybe you do need a little more air in them then. I dont think the side walls should be bulging that much on a load range E tire. It wont hurt to add more psi since the max. pressure is 80. Id say bump them up to 40 psi and see if that helps any.

·
Super Moderator
15,096 Posts
You can't tell by looking at a tire if it is properly inflated.

Checking proper tire inflation is rather simple and requires some chalk or a utility crayon.

Make a mark all the way across each tire.

Drive the Jeep for a short distance, a straight line is best.

Note the wear pattern in the chalk. If there is chalk left at the edge the tire is over inflated. Chalk left in the center means it's under-inflated. A clean pattern indicates the pressure is just right. Make a note of the pressure for future reference. This procedure would need to be performed again of different size or style tires are added.

Chalk Line

Over Inflated

Proper Inflation

1 - 10 of 10 Posts