Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First week of driving my '06 Commander and loving it, but.....

I have found that the ride height, which I can only assume is stock, is just a little too high for my mother in law to get in and out of easily, so we use a small step stool. I have seen Jeep Grand Cherokees that automatically lower for easy enter/exit. I'm not looking for an air suspension for towing or anything crazy, just something that lowers a couple inches then raises back up for normal ride height.

I've seen a couple air bag setups, but as a noob, are those for actually lowering and raising or just stiffening the suspension

·
Super Moderator
5,695 Posts
First week of driving my '06 Commander and loving it, but.....

I have found that the ride height, which I can only assume is stock, is just a little too high for my mother in law to get in and out of easily, so we use a small step stool. I have seen Jeep Grand Cherokees that automatically lower for easy enter/exit. I'm not looking for an air suspension for towing or anything crazy, just something that lowers a couple inches then raises back up for normal ride height.

I've seen a couple air bag setups, but as a noob, are those for actually lowering and raising or just stiffening the suspension?
Most of the airbag, or air-ride suspensions that I have seen or read about, are typically for lowering below the factory ride height of whatever vehicle you are installing them on.

I have not heard of anybody doing this on a Commander, but, I'm pretty certain it can be done if you find the right components/system.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang!!! I was hoping the experts would have already figured it out. I would think, if they have already done it on a Grand Cherokee, then someone would have reverse engineered it into an aftermarket

·
Super Moderator
5,695 Posts
Dang!!! I was hoping the experts would have already figured it out. I would think, if they have already done it on a Grand Cherokee, then someone would have reverse engineered it into an aftermarket
@Tmarkr;

That's not to say someone on the forum hasn't done it; I just haven't heard about it;

The majority of conversations on this forum center around Lifting XK's and putting bigger tires on;

Hearing about someone wanting to lower their Commander is rare - but it does happen once in a blue moon and I seem to remember one or two people discussing it over the years;

However, I've never heard of anybody lowering a Commander using an air-ride or airbag suspension.

Sometimes in life, when you want to do something unique and different, you have to blaze the path; Maybe you can become the innovator.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm just guessing, but I think the Grand Cherokee you are speaking of are the WK2 (after 2011 I think). Completely different suspension. And from my understanding front and rear are independent suspension. You may be able to transplant the system, custom all the way.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Air suspension commanders have been done, as have wk1's. Most of the very small percentage that have been done were custom made, which actually isn't as bad as it sounds, but there's a bolt on option that'll work just fine. I plan on getting a set in the next month or so. FYI, grand Cherokee suspension is exactly the same as commander suspension, unless you refer to the SRT8, which is different, but still bolts onto commanders. Also, the way air suspension works, you could actually raise it above normal ride height if you wanted, but most do go below, also, they are not cheap. If you want an easy press button option to bring the commander to a predetermined height, be prepared to spend $4-5k+.

Here's the link to the bags I'm getting:

https://www.airtekk.com/product-p/at-grnd10-st.htm

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So pretty much what I would have to do is lower the Jeep, maybe 2", then put an air system on that would actually bring it back up to normal ride height?? hmmmmmmm

·
Registered
359 Posts
No, the air system determines the height. More air = more height (to an extent). You should just watch a video on YouTube about air suspension.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts