Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any one found a throttle body spacer for the 4.7L commander yet???

i was looking through Air Aid but they had no listing for any commander spacers...i did how ever find that they make one for the 4.7L dakota...any idea if it would fit? http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=300-574

·
Registered
319 Posts
IDk if it would work, but I do know that those are a waste of money for fuel injection, spacers are only real difference makers on carb apps...

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Carb and older model throttle bodies seemed to make a huge difference. With modern injections systems I would be skeptical.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hey Canadian, I just installed the Airaid spacer. You have to use the Dodge part number AA300-574. I got mine for $147 plus tax and it installs easily. I am not sure about performance or miledge gain but will keep you posted as it is the only mod so far. I don't think the air intakes are worth the $400 or so Canadian they cost, the tube is only 12 inches long.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Hey Kitkat let us know the outcome. Notice any immediate change to the XKs performance? I had one on my 3/4 Ton Suburban and it made a difference.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I had a TB spacer on my wrangler and it made a difference but it is best used with a CAI.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Further follow up....I just did my first small trip which was only about 50 KM but I was averaging 14.2KM/100L whereas before, the best I have ever seen was 17 KM/100 KM. Obviously not a scientific test. I will update as I drive more.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Further follow up....I just did my first small trip which was only about 50 KM but I was averaging 14.2KM/100L whereas before, the best I have ever seen was 17 KM/100 KM. Obviously not a scientific test. I will update as I drive more.
sorry i didn't quite understand that last little bit....was that a definate increase in milage?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Yeah I am lost also. What is the conversion to MPG's on those numbers?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
14.2 kilometers = 8.82347093 miles
17 kilometers = 10.5633103 miles
1 liter = 0.264172052 US gallons

Not quite sure if thats per liter?

·
Registered
862 Posts
The problem with add-on items such as the TB spacer is you are fighting against the ECM. It is a ‘’learning’’ computer, which will compensate any gains you might get right back out again. You might get a bit better mileage or power for a day or so, but soon enough, the ECM compensates for the ‘’out of params’’ (in its internal program reference tables) that throws the engine out of the federal mandated factory ‘’pollution standard tuning’’ settings, and that renders just about all such devices null and void. That’s just the way it is.

The ONLY things that really work are ECM reprogrammers or performance replacement EEROM chips. (e.g. an Edge chip) That’s because you are resetting or replacing the tuning parameters themselves, and they stay put rather than force the engine back to the fed standards after adding a TB spacer or the like.

As for headers, TB spacers, intake systems, etc. those are really great WITH an ECM reprogrammer. The factory engine settings are too conservative to take much advantage of better breathing with factory ECM settings. But, intake systems and a better exhaust really work when the ECM is reset to fire breathing dragon mode. :D

On edit:

Ah HA!! I knew I had it somewhere! Here's a link to a tech article about performance, as to what works and what doesn't.
http://www.omninerd.com/articles/Improve_MPG_The_Factors_Affecting_Fuel_Efficiency
Scroll down or search for this heading: The Impact of Performance Modifications on Fuel Efficiency

·
Registered
266 Posts
works out to be about 1-2 MPG. I have only had the spacer in 2 days so I will have more info when I can clock it for 1 full month but since I drive about 500 mile / week, it should still help. Remember that when you spend $700 for exhaust (which I will probably do), you mostly get sound, not real performance. Different if you have a restricted, carberated engine.

·
Registered
266 Posts
AirAid Throttle Body Spacer Installed on 4.7 XK

Hey all,
I recently bought and installed the AirAid Throttle Body Spacer (Dodge 4.7L)

I know this is a love it or hate it discussion but I just wanted to update everyone on my first full month miledge audit..
I was averaging 16.8 L/100KMs = 14 MPG
I just averaged 13.5 L/100KMs = 17.42 MPG
same distance, same driving conditions...I tend to hammer the 4.7L hard

So I think it was the best $150 add-on and seems a more bang for buck than CAI or Exhaust

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
That's great news, many others may consider it as well with a report like that. Where did you get it?

·
Registered
319 Posts
you notice any power gains?? regardless, those are good numbers!

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
do you have a link for that throttle body spacer or who makes it? i'd like to pick one up.

did you notice much more power?

did you add any other mods at the same time?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
http://airaid.com/

I had one on my TBI and loved it. Just hesitant on the XK, but now that I have a real person showing gains its something to add to my wishlist. :D

Thanks for reporting on this!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
*sigh* nevermind the 4.7L is being hated on. :(

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Can someone explain what the throttle body spacer does?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts