Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, This is my first post, and I appreciate all the helpful info here.
I have a 2008 Commander Limited, bought it two months ago. Shortly after I got it, the red airbag light on the dash came on, and has stayed on consistently. I’ve googled/utubed it, and comes up with everything from seat belt sensors, to a yellow wire under the seat, to a very expensive part ( can’t remember the name of it just now, but I do remember it’s over $400!), that is located in the steering column.
I bought it with the cruise control lever broken, loose and hanging on the steering wheel. Haven’t replaced it yet, but wondered if ,by some weird chance, it could be related, simply because it’s in the steering wheel ...
Has anyone dealt with this? And suggestions, advice, feedback, would be greatly appreciated!
thanks! Jen

·
Registered
87 Posts
The first thing I would do is check for codes to see if that narrows down which airbag it's unhappy with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey everyone, This is my first post, and I appreciate all the helpful info here.
I have a 2008 Commander Limited, bought it two months ago. Shortly after I got it, the red airbag light on the dash came on, and has stayed on consistently. I’ve googled/utubed it, and comes up with everything from seat belt sensors, to a yellow wire under the seat, to a very expensive part ( can’t remember the name of it just now, but I do remember it’s over $400!), that is located in the steering column.
I bought it with the cruise control lever broken, loose and hanging on the steering wheel. Haven’t replaced it yet, but wondered if ,by some weird chance, it could be related, simply because it’s in the steering wheel ...
Has anyone dealt with this? And suggestions, advice, feedback, would be greatly appreciated!
thanks! Jen
Are you positive the cruise control lever is broken? The levers by the steering wheel sometimes "fallout" on my XK and I have to reconnect. It almost feels like you are going to break the wand when snapping it back into place. Might be a simple fix. Also, if I take my grill off and then reinstall, the airbag light will stay on for about a week before shutting off. Might try just waiting a bit. Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
180 Posts
In 2 of my previous jeeps I had this issue and both times replacing the clock spring fixed it. I have the same issue on my commander but have not gotten around to trying the fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In 2 of my previous jeeps I had this issue and both times replacing the clock spring fixed it. I have the same issue on my commander but have not gotten around to trying the fix.
Thanks so much! I was trying to remember the part that I was told it probably was, and that’s it, the clock spring! It’s in the steering wheel, right? And I hear it’s a $400+ part? But, I guess if it makes the light go out, it’s worth it. Thank you!

·
Administrator
15,875 Posts
Thanks so much! I was trying to remember the part that I was told it probably was, and that’s it, the clock spring! It’s in the steering wheel, right? And I hear it’s a $400+ part? But, I guess if it makes the light go out, it’s worth it. Thank you!
@Jenmv It's $281.26 at www.moparpartsgiant.com/

And here is a video that shows you how to install it. The video is for a Grand Cherokee but it is the same for the Commander.

·
Registered
180 Posts
they aren't too terrible to replace. A puller helps a ton if yours happens to be stuck, and make sure you disconnect the battery and let it sit for a few minutes to make sure all the juice is out of the system. The last thing you want is the air bag going off in your face while you are tugging on stuff.

·
Registered
2006 Jeep Commander Limited 5.7
2 Posts
Had a similar issue on my 06 when I bought it. Read a missive that said 80% of these problems are due to a connector under the drivers seat. It's yellow and connects the belt tensioner to the computer. The fix is to disconnect the connector, clean it with an ethanol spray cleaner, and re-secure the connector. Worked for me, hope it does the same for you.

·
Administrator
15,875 Posts
Had a similar issue on my 06 when I bought it. Read a missive that said 80% of these problems are due to a connector under the drivers seat. It's yellow and connects the belt tensioner to the computer. The fix is to disconnect the connector, clean it with an ethanol spray cleaner, and re-secure the connector. Worked for me, hope it does the same for you.
@Gomez sez Please make an introductory post in the New Member Section. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My son in law‘s 2008 commander limited had the airbag light on when he bought it, as well as I believe the traction control and ABS lights. Code reader said airbag squib circuits were bad. Turned out it needed a new clock spring because the other had broken ribbon cable segments in it. And researching the problem, the clock spring has a steering angle sensor circuit in it, and with broken wires, it sent false signals to the traction control and ABS systems, that’s the additional trouble lights.
The clock spring itself is fairly simple, and not very expensive. However getting one with the angle sensing circuitry makes it quite expensive. And as I understand, after replacement you need to take it into a dealership and have it calibrated.

I ended up buying a Clock spring without the electronics, and moved the old electronics over to the new clock spring paying very close attention to how the gears inside the broken clock spring were oriented so when assembled properly, it did not need to be recalibrated. It took me two or three tries putting it in and testing it, Moving one of the gears one tooth clockwise or counterclockwise before the calibration was reestablished and no more trouble codes were set. I posted a procedure two years ago on how this was done on another site, I’ll see if I can find it and provide a link.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much, I’ll try that!! Someone else mentioned a clockspring, and the part is expensive, so I’ll definitely look at the connector first!

·
Administrator
15,875 Posts
@Dave WH Please make an introductory post in the New Member Section. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks! Jen
Answer is yes could very well be , the airbag “ clock spring “ is in unit that surrounds and integrated with air bag

1 - 13 of 13 Posts