Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
AIRBAG LIGHT AFTER RADIO INSTALL-Corrected ?s

Alright, found the post on the canbus running the radio. Went ahead and tapped the red wire for the switched power for the head unit.

My issue is that my airbag light is on...The one in the dash, not the one on the control center for the passenger.

Any ideas as to why this could happen? Is this something Ill be stuck with with an aftermarket radio? And is this in any way tied to the factory radio via canbus?

thanks

doug

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Yeah, what YB said. You can't tap into switched power to the existing radio. You would need to tap into the switched cigarette lighter power wire...

Unhook the radio and see if the airbags function as normal again. Make sure you unhook the battery when you repair that wire though so you don't set the airbags off.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
The best bet (for cleanest power) to run switched devices is to install an auxillary fuse block like the Painless CirkitBoss 7-circuit unit. It will offer both switched and always on circuits.

I have one installed in my Cherokee to power my CB, Extended Idle switch, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry.
seems i wrote that bad. Let me try again.

I installed an alpine flipout, and was looking for the reason that there was no ignition switch for the stock radio. I found the post that it was controlled by the CANBUS so I tapped into the left side cigarette/power adapter for the switched power for the radio power.

I didnt tap any wire outside of the red with a line that they said in the post. the radio works fine, but the airbag light came on when the car was restarted.

Other than that the only other question is did anyone use both powers and grounds in installing theirs? I only put one of each, could that possibly play into it?

Thanks for the quick replies though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RedCommander said:
In that case, I'd try unhooking the battery to let the computer reset itself if you haven't already done so.
worked. Let it sit for about an hour and the light is off on restart...weird though...thanks for the help.

doug.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
No prob. Glad to assist. Weird things happen when we unhook the dash switches while they're still powered.

Next time you need to though, 1-2 minutes of battery disconnect will be long enough to do the same thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts