Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My air bag light has been coming on and then going off. making the car ding whenever we drive it.

last night the light stuck on and will not come off.

is this a normal problem? has anyone else had this happen?

i'm still under warrenty, but i do not live anywhere near a dealer. i'm going to have to take a day off to get this fixed.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have a code reader. i should go plug it in and see what codes it brings up.

okay. i'm back.

my code scanner said: no codes.

i'm not sure if its to old to work on my jeep or not. its from 2002.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Get Lost...Did you ever find the cause or solution to this? I am having the same problem but my dealer is blaming it on the rear camera I added and told be if I return with the camera still installed he will void my warranty (long story that I will be posting about this a hole in problems with dealer service later. Even thought the scan shows it is has lost communication with the control module (several things). The airbag light (same as yours) comes on for about 3-5 sec. and then goes off. On one trip it stayed on for 3 hours and another time 1 hour with my daughter sitting on the front seat. My dealer will not fix anything and now says the rear camera is the cause of everything. The other times it has come on for a few sec. there was no one sitting up front.

·
Registered
251 Posts
No never did anything like that. I think it may be the sensors needing looked at or the control module but like I said the dealer now says if the camera is still on the jeep he will not look at it and viod my warranty. It is the factory camera and no codes even show it is causing a problem. I asked him to put that in writing that he was going to void my warranty but now he is covering his wide rear and has opened a case with chrysler since I told him I was going to call them in the morning so he is changing his toon and saying if the camera is causing the problem he will not cover the repairs but he cannot say for certain or prove the camera has a darn thing to do with the airbag light. I have really had my fill with jeep and the problems to be honest. I will post when I get a chance about all the problems with them soon. They wonder why sales are dropping like a rock. I loved this Commander but after all the problems and the complete lack of care or concern by the dealer I will never purchase another one. I blame the dealer and the service department but it all goes back to Chrysler and their lack of getting involved and helping a loyal customer. Thanks for the reply and sorry to vent.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
when i took mine to the dealer, they found one of the fuses under the dash was loose. it was probably knocked loose when i hit a huge boulder last winter. back when i was still stock.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Hope it doesn't have anything to do with the bumper... =)

·
Registered
24 Posts
The same problem is happening to my parents 06. The red airbag light comes on but it's odd, it will come on after a sharp turn or just for no reason. We brought it to the dealer and they said that they fixed it but... Nope came on again two days after.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I had a problem once with my airbag cluster light come on and the "passenger airbag off" light come on when the seat was fully forward but all I did was hit the seat a couple times and it fixed it. I guess the pressure sensor can get stuck.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
When I bought mine (used) I had a rattle coming from the front passenger area, and my passenger airbag light would go off and on.

Passenger seat was loose, I tightened it but had to take it to the dealer to have the sensors located on the seat frame replaced and or calibrated. That's why I was asking about the seat.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well I checked all the fuses and it still came on for about 5 sec today. I have started a case with detriot and they have gotten the reginal rep involved so we will see where it all goes. I have had so many issues with the dealer that after 3 Chrysler products in 10 years this is my last due to their poor service. I should have know they sucked when they put the replacement endlinks on the sway bar backwards and then kinda laughed and said their best front end guy did the work. I am not sure what front end he is best at but have a funny feeling it has little to do with cars. I will not even get into the control arm, steering rack, and other front end work with no alinement and now I am told the tires are all cupped thanks to their "best front end guys tallents". They alined it again yesterday and now the steering wheel is always turned to the left when going straight and the day before it was always turned to the right when going straight. God love these 5 star service departments. I think you need a semi-clean restroom, toliet paper, and running water to obtain that distinguished award from Chrysler. Oh...and it only took 3 trips to get them to put the washers back on after the endlinks and bushings were changed the third time and the steering wheel has more play than before and has a really nice rattle now. While I am on my rant let me mention the right front brake that grabs for no reason and pulls the Jeep hard to the right. The customer service manager rode with me and it did it twice with him driving but when I picked up the Jeep yesterday the ticket says could not duplicate and the brakes are fine.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Let me add one more thing. Most of us already know this but as far as the service manager (we will refer to him as Napoleon) telling me if I return to the dealership with my factory back-up camera that I installed he will void my entire warranty. Well, even Detroit got a chuckle out of that one. They were very clear he does not even have the authority to do that and they would have to positively prove that it was a cause for the airbar light and then they could only void that specific issue and not the entire vehicle. They were also clear that with all the problems with the front end and the tires now being cupped they will have to look into the possibility of replaceing my tires. Sometimes it pays to call Detriot and we will see at the final outcome. I will keep you guys posted. Do not get me wrong I really love the Jeep but my battle is with the dealership. If they would have done things right and their job at 3000 miles none of this would have happened. I have decided to take the issue to the regional level to get results but also to make sure Chrysler is made aware of how poorly this service department is performing and treating a customer. Maybe this may prevent another customer from going through the same things.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Today MY airbag light came on - both the red warning light in the cluster AND the "passenger airbag off" light. After I got home and shut it off, I immediately ran the DTC test and came up with no codes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts