Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Guys this might sound dumb. But I just received my new airflow snorkel and want to install this weekend. I understand the whole install but, What the heck and where do i get black mastic. They say when I cut and modify my air box I can only use black mastic. No big deal went to the local Home depot and asked where it was they looked at me funny and said that had asbestos in it and they don't make it anymore. What!!!!! They say thats the only stuff I can use to seal my airbox. They highly discourage the use of silicone. Well any suggestions of what to use and name brands would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
OK Guys this might sound dumb. But I just received my new airflow snorkel and want to install this weekend. I understand the whole install but, What the heck and where do i get black mastic. They say when I cut and modify my air box I can only use black mastic. No big deal went to the local Home depot and asked where it was they looked at me funny and said that had asbestos in it and they don't make it anymore. What!!!!! They say thats the only stuff I can use to seal my airbox. They highly discourage the use of silicone. Well any suggestions of what to use and name brands would be a great help. Thanks in advance.
This thread will help!

There is something new coming out in the near future that will replace the air box so plan on an upgrade in your near future.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for your responses. I couldnt find mastic i a caulk tube. So I bought this stuff called black jack neoprene roofing caulk. I did the airbox reluctantly with it. Its holding well. The snorkel is all in and the holes didnt line up with the template. The bolt holes seemed to be about 3/16 of in every direction. I took a reamer and opened the holes. My antenna will no need to be put elsewhere. But all in all it came out pretty good. The airflow head looks like a laundry basket. I have seen the safari snorkel heads and they aren't that big. But it is what it is. I'll post some pics later. Didn't take any while doing the job. I'm one track minded so that doesn't work for me. But I have finished. Pics I'll post later.

·
Registered
299 Posts
congrats. I can't wait to see what it looks like. Let us know how it changes your mpg and throttle response.

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright go to my profile and check out some pics of the snork and rr front shim

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Looks great. But I noticed it was a lot cleaner without the snorkel ;) j/k

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your right it was cleaner. But today was the spring cleaning clayed her and then waxed her. I also want to mention some things I noticed about the way the truck handles with the snorkel. The responsiveness has dropped. She has lost a bit of bottom end. But I do a lot of county roads here. Average speed around 55 to 60 and have noticed that my average of 14.3 mpg has increased to 15.2. I was a bit surprised. also at highway speeds she is more responsive. I guess this is due to a positive pressure in the intake system. I am also using the superchips 91 octane program. I'm gonna drop it back to economode since fuel is getting outrageous again. Lets see what that does for my mpg. If I can get 16 to 17 mpg. I will be thrilled. I have never seen that on my commander. Thanks again for your comments and thoughts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't get up that way often. But might be up there for the swap meet. Thats in april right. If i'm off that weekend I'll be going and will definitely let you know. Where do you ride at. Ever get down to wharton state. Theres a few clubs, none of which I am a member that ride down here. If you ever want to get out drop me a line. I go out with some guys on occasion.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I'll be at E-town for the swap meet & car show on Saturday... pretty sure its April 16th.

I ride a lot of places in the pines... Wharton being one of them.

Let me know if you're going out. I'll tag along if im not up to anything else :eek:rangehat:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts