Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Re: Off Road in the Sand

:cool: We are going to Florida this Sunday. We are going to goof off in North Carolina gem stone mining for a few days, then head to Ocala FL, parents live there. Stay a couple of days, then hit it to Ft. Myers Beach. I don't know if they let you drive on the beaches anymore. When we lived in Ocala we could drive on Daytona Beach, but they cut that out years ago. We will find sand, I know it!

Story follows.

We just got a new notebook for the trip so we are wired!:D

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Can still drive on the sand in Daytona, they just closed a block or two off. I have been on softer back roads in Florida than Daytona or New Smyrna. Not that familiar with the FT Myers beaches, but don't think you drive there.

·
Registered
200 Posts

I have had the Commander in the fine, powdery Florida sand - worked like a champ. I can honestly say that with the exception of giving it a little more gas than normal, you barely know it's there. I've also had it on the beach at Daytona, but that's essentially pavement made of sand - you can ride a 10-speed on that without a problem. :) I did not air down or go to 4LO - just drove! She's also tackled some of the trails in one of the local forests here like a champ - and the Nav system had the trails marked!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Joe were in Florida were you in the sand. Also interested in some mild off roading. I am in the Orlando area. Assume the you are on the left coast?

·
Registered
30 Posts

I have taken mine out on the Cape Hatteras Beach and it was great. The only issue was the clearance . There were some really big ruts and it rubbed a bit. But when I wanted to leave the ruts and make my own path it climbed right out. I want to go back because I had a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

CAPN4765 said:
I have taken mine out on the Cape Hatteras Beach and it was great. The only issue was the clearance . There were some really big ruts and it rubbed a bit. But when I wanted to leave the ruts and make my own path it climbed right out. I want to go back because I had a lot of fun.
What tire pressure did you use on the beach and did you remove the front spoilier? It is good to hear that it likes the Hatteras sand, I read a review that said they buried it on the way to Carolla sp beach houses. Hard to believe since I have driven my 93 GC all over the OBX without a problem.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts

Creek said:
and did you remove the front spoilier?
If you have the off-road package (skid plates) and plan to do any off-roading I would remove the spoiler for good anyways. If it gets ripped off it is going to cause more damage than it's worth.

·
Registered
30 Posts

I left the tire pressure as it was at 36 PSI. I did not remover the spoiler but I have to say that you would be better off doing that. I will be headed back out there next weekend for another try at it. I will probably try and go farther along then I did last time. You could probably run the tires at 28 PSI and get better traction. The QUATRA II system works really well.

·
Registered
398 Posts

The jeep book says reduce by 10-12 pounds. I know folks that run down at 15lbs in deep sand.

·
Registered
274 Posts

if you have the air pressure sensor option, you have to be careful how much you air the tires down. Fellow Liberty owners have run into this. If you air down too much, the sensor might be damaged. Just be aware!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I would not run any of my vehicles at higher than 22 in the hatteras sand and would go lower if I noticed any increase in engine temp. Your vehicle my run through the sand, but you put a tremendous strain on the entire drive train. I am interested in the low pressure sensors and what might happen.

·
Registered
110 Posts

How do you get around the TPMS? I've yet to activate my Telltale warning light but as I understand the system will turn on when your tires run approx. 7-10psi below your factory recommended cold tire inflation pressure (placard). This is my first TPMS equipped vehicle and I'm unsure what Jeep recommends owners to do in sand and I cannot see how you can get the most capability out of your Jeep in sand w/out dropping the pressure into the 15-25psi range.

XKPearl

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.