Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if i can air down my tires to go off road? i have an 07 xk with oem tires (245/65R17) pretty sure the width is 17x8.5

i read somewhere a while ago that airing down tires is almost madatory when going off roading but that i cant do it if i have a 1/2in indicator in the tire size. cant find that article.

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
To answer your question, of course you can air down your tires. I would definately recommend it. Ill be airing mine down to 16 ft lbs this weekend when I go to Rausch Creek Off Road park however im not running the oem tires. I have brand new 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's. You wouldn't need to run them that low.

What do you mean by the 1/2 inch indicator?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm talking about the width of the rim... ie 17x9 17x10 mines is 17x8.5 <---- that .5 was what I was talking about. Something about it being easier for the bead to come off.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I air down to 20 PSI when I arrive at the beach and do not air up until I am ready to leave for home usually a week later. I travel 6-8 miles on hard road each day before I reach the beach each day and then when I return to our house. I have been doing this for 40 yrs and never had a problem. I take it easy on sharp turns. I also have never heard of the 1/2 problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys for the help, i cant wait to save up enough money to get a lift and new tires...

cant decide what to do first tho; 4xguard brush guard, or new rims/tires, and a lift.

what do u guys think, with the brush guard it'll be under $500,
tires, rims and lift would be over $1000...

im just a student with a part time job, so i can save up 2 months for the brush guard, but more for the rest.

·
1,993 Posts
The responsible advice would be to tell you to install all the armor you can. If you don't have the stock plates get them if you do add to them. 4xguard has all the extra armor plates you need to cover the rest of the XK. I did not do this my self and some times wish I had but I did my lift and tires at the same time to get the ground clearance I needed to hit the trails I wanted to. That being said it is nerve racking knowing I have an exposed bottom. I have to really take my time and pick my lines right and use good spotters. The armor is what I'm saving up for now but the armor should really be your first mod bro. Oh I don't think you need new rims any time soon you can save some money there the stock ones are fine.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I'm talking about the width of the rim... ie 17x9 17x10 mines is 17x8.5 <---- that .5 was what I was talking about. Something about it being easier for the bead to come off.
Do you have stock wheels on your XK? If so they are 17x17.5

1 - 11 of 11 Posts