Jeep Commander Forum banner

Airing spare tire

3K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  AMDemon 
#1 ·
Last week, my 9 month old Limited signalled me that my spare tire was low.

So, what is the perferred way of airing the spare?

When I crawed under the car, the valve was on the top side of the spare tire. I could get my hand up there and removed the valve cap. I couldn't check the tire pressure as I couldn't get my "pen style" pressure gauage up there and turned in a maner to check the pressure.

The air hose at my local gas station doesn't have a pressure guage on it. And the idea of lying on my back in a gas station to air my spare tire and then to get my seat dirty with the stuff on my back.

I ended up using a bike tire pump to fill up my tire. That seemed like 20 times more work than filling up a bike tire.

Seems like there should be a better way. I couldn't find anything in the owner's manual.

Thanks

Tom

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
You could winch the tire down (as if you were going to remove the spare) fill it, and move it back up.

I am not sure where in the country you are, but keep in mind that in cold weather your tire may report low air pressure. You lose one pound of pressure for about every 12 degree drop in temp.

As your spare is not rotating it will not heat up like the other tires and the air pressure will not rise until the outside ambient temperature rises. While all four tires are cold you should see what pressure they are at and then fill the spare to that same temperature.

#5 ·
Yes, I also inflated it without lowering it. You reach up into the tire and carefully fit the inflator onto the valve stem. It can be done. I use one of those black and decker electric inflators.

#7 · (Edited)
I too got a low pressure warning on the spare. I use a double chuck gauge, which grabs the valve easy. I find that the dash reading is slow/slugish and get quicker results with a gauge.

I was able to fill it at the gas station with a regular chuck without dropping the spare. It would have been difficult to check the pressure without the gauge though. Probably helps that my rig is lifted.:D

-mike

#9 ·
Just a tip-- You can safely inflate your spare tire higher than the recommended pressure that your normally run on the road. That way, the tire will always have enough air in it, and you can always bleed some off if you have to use the spare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.