Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a recent post about finding the manual key inside the key fob, and you were all so helpful. Now I'm having my next issue...which may be more of a general issue and not specific to Jeep Commander.

Now that I'm in the car, I attach a battery starter to the battery, and then try to start. The alarm goes off, the car, starts, and then dies a few seconds later. I cannot start it again, even though there is plenty of charge in my battery starter.

This happened last week, I waited a week and tried again, and the same thing happened.

Also, once the car dies, my key fob is stuck in the starter. I can turn it counter clockwise to the point where it usually comes out (or maybe I'm one space short), and I can take out the manual key like before, but that fob is stuck in the starter.

So...does this sound like I need a new battery? Should I jump it with my car instead of the battery starter? And how can I get my key fob out of a car which seems to be completely dead?

Thanks for any help.

·
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,022 Posts
That's sounding like the anti theft is kicking in, not the battery.

·
Administrator
16,027 Posts
@Kellas Cat Why are you starting with a battery starter? If you need a battery starter to start the vehicle then you need a new battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The anti-theft...after reading up on that, it does sound like that's what it is doing. How do I handle that?

It may very well be the battery...but at the moment I'm trying to just start it and see what the issue is...maybe move it to the driveway. Can't do that now when it starts for five seconds with alarm and then turns off.

·
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,022 Posts
What year is your Commander? Make a signature with the details so we can better help you. Does the "Fob" have a battery in it and have you tried changing it?
Notice we changed the title to
"Alarm goes off when trying to start" so you can get more help from others.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The anti-theft...after reading up on that, it does sound like that's what it is doing. How do I handle that?

It may very well be the battery...but at the moment I'm trying to just start it and see what the issue is...maybe move it to the driveway. Can't do that now when it starts for five seconds with alarm and then turns off.
I don't remember was the battery in the fob dead? or is it just not the right fob for the vehicle?

two things could be going on but it is definitely the anti-theft protocol.

the keys are chipped/programmed to each vehicle. so if you are using a fob that hasn't been programmed to that jeep it would initiate the lockdown. Alternativeley if you lock the car with the fob but then open it by some other means that can trigger it as well. for instance, my rear hatch doesn't lock but if I lock the vehicle and open the rear hatch the alarm goes off even once I stop the alarm the car doesn't work until I unlock it with my fob. Super weird. maybe yours got locked with the fob which initiated the system but then when you unlocked without the fob it never shut the theft system off???

I am just throwing out ideas here.... anything is worth a shot right?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts