Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been toying with the idea for a while, but don't have the time for the experiment. I don't know if all XK's have both the electric and engine mount fan like mine, but has anyone tried an all-electric set up? My idea was to remove all the exsisting fans and shroud and make an accross radiator mount to mount 2 or 3 electric fans (one of which being powered by the factory wiring to avoid any codes).

A few of the TJ guys around here and I made up some aluminum cage mounts with a flat sheet for the fan shroud and mounted 2 Revcor 11" fans for thier TJ's. Both of them said thier gas milage went up and the power increace was noticable.

If someone is honestly interested and motivated, I've got fans to donate for a prototype project.

Anyone interested?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
My XK only came with the electric fan and didnt have the tow package. A few months after purchase I bought the entire tow package from Jeep and installed it and now have both the electric and mechanical fans.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? The electric fan is standard and the engine driven is the one added with the tow? I would have thought it was the other way around... wierd. I don't tow anything but a tiny trailer for my mower and motorcycle, maybe it's not such a crazy idea.

For reference, i'm looking mostly at applying this to the 4.7

sorry, I just noticed my spelling sux:rofl:

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
sorry, I just noticed my spelling sux:rofl:
You are not alone! But just so you know you can select the edit button in your posts and fix any errors you discover later.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are not alone! But just so you know you can select the edit button in your posts and fix any errors you discover later.
That would imply I knew the proper spelling to correct it- I'm too lazy to run a spell check.:werd:

You would think with 6 years of college and an engineering degree I would have learned.

So back to the fans- is it a moot point or is this something is should pursue? The 3.7 and 4.7 without tow package don't even appear to have them. Am I correct in saying the Hemi is also all electric though much larger according to the parts manual illustration. I don't want to lower my cooling system's efficiency, but I also want to get rid of the extra hp drag of the engine driven fan. I was just hoping someone else would do some legwork!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Really? The electric fan is standard and the engine driven is the one added with the tow? I would have thought it was the other way around... wierd. I don't tow anything but a tiny trailer for my mower and motorcycle, maybe it's not such a crazy idea.

For reference, i'm looking mostly at applying this to the 4.7
Yes, the electric fan was standard and the mechanical was an add on and I have the 4.7 liter!

·
Registered
48 Posts
FYI I have the 07 Hemi XK with the towing package. I only have an electric fan. I tow a 28" trailer and have never had any problems.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Mine is an October '05 built 2006 Limited with the Hemi, with the factory towing package ...

It's electric fan only ... I can't even see a place to fit a regular fan in there myself.

Anyone got a pic of their mechanical fan?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
My XK only came with the electric fan and didnt have the tow package. A few months after purchase I bought the entire tow package from Jeep and installed it and now have both the electric and mechanical fans.
That was interesting to me, I thought all 4.7 have both fans as I have!

The electric fan which you had only Is it exactly the same as the one that comes with the mechanical fan with stock tow package?

I'm interested to know if my electrical fan will be able to keep the engine temp under control if the mechanical fan fails for any reason or the engine belt fails!

Mine is an October '05 built 2006 Limited with the Hemi, with the factory towing package ...

It's electric fan only ... I can't even see a place to fit a regular fan in there myself.

Anyone got a pic of their mechanical fan?
up to my knowledge, Hemi comes with electrical fans only.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Ahmed,
If the belt were to fail the engine would overheat anyways.
The water pump would no longer be moving coolant.
We never really know what testing is done to arrive at a final design.
For example, my 1996 Impala SS uses two electric fans.
One runs primarily to move air through the A/C condenser and the other cycles based on coolant temp.
When operating temps are very high though, they both cycle regardless of A/C being on or off.
Same car as a Caprice with heavy duty cooling (tow package or police) has a belt driven fan and one electric fan for A/C.
About identicle to the 4.7 with tow package.
As the duel electric fan vehicles have aged, I,ve run into more and more relay and motor failures, obviously resulting in overheating issues.
I prefer the combination of mechanical and electric for this reason.

A bit of insight,
Rob

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I think the biggest problem with the OEM electric fan is the point that it comes on. It is basically there to stop overheating not prevent it from starting. IF there was a way to lower the activation point it would be good because the electric fan itself works very well to cool the radiator down. Then the only thing it needs is to have a relay wired in so it could be turned off for water crossings.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I think the biggest problem with the OEM electric fan is the point that it comes on. It is basically there to stop overheating not prevent it from starting. IF there was a way to lower the activation point it would be good because the electric fan itself works very well to cool the radiator down. Then the only thing it needs is to have a relay wired in so it could be turned off for water crossings.
It would be easy like you say to wire in a "shut off" relay ... but it would ALSO not be too difficult to modifiy the set up and wire in the relay to turn the fan ON at any temepature desired.

The only trick would be to wire in a cut off relay so that when the STOCK power comes ON, the 'mods' votage does not back feed to the electical system.

Automatic adjustable temerature relays are common enough at speed shop too ... I used to have one on my work van.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
So what happens if the electric fan is on when you go through a water hole?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Ahmed,
If the belt were to fail the engine would overheat anyways.
The water pump would no longer be moving coolant.
We never really know what testing is done to arrive at a final design.
For example, my 1996 Impala SS uses two electric fans.
One runs primarily to move air through the A/C condenser and the other cycles based on coolant temp.
When operating temps are very high though, they both cycle regardless of A/C being on or off.
Same car as a Caprice with heavy duty cooling (tow package or police) has a belt driven fan and one electric fan for A/C.
About identicle to the 4.7 with tow package.
As the duel electric fan vehicles have aged, I,ve run into more and more relay and motor failures, obviously resulting in overheating issues.
I prefer the combination of mechanical and electric for this reason.

A bit of insight,
Rob
You are correct, I forgot the water pump!

I'm very pleased with the combination of both mechanical and electrical fans it keep the engine temp under control very well and under server usage and high exterior temp like here.

unlike the H3 which has only mechanical fan and my friends are complaining about the engine temp exceeding the middle.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd have to do a bit of circuit research to see if the XK's have thier own fan temp sensor or if it uses an ECU trigger through the coolant temp sensor. If it's a stand-alone temp sensor triggering a relay, it would be very simple to lower it's turn on temp by swapping the sensor. If it's an ECU trigger, a piggyback relay would most likely take care of it, but it would have to be tied in post-OEM relay to avoid setting any codes if the circuit is monitored as I'm sure it is.

The reason for shutting the electric fan off in water crossings is the added resistance of moving water and not just air tends to smoke the fan motor, but that too is an easy mod to do.

Does anyone have a source for the XK's service manual? (electrical mostly). As a vehicle OEM electrical engineer, I can think of all kinds of fun electrical mods to do, but I don't like stabbing blind.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Does anyone have a source for the XK's service manual? (electrical mostly). As a vehicle OEM electrical engineer, I can think of all kinds of fun electrical mods to do, but I don't like stabbing blind.
It's available on line as a PDF download for a fee from several sources.

Read over the "Service Manual" thread and choose the one you feel is best .. let us know which one you get too too ... I have not bought one yet for example and would be interested in the feedback.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3193

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea... problem is I'm very cheap. I figured someone out there had one hosted already. Maybe I'll try and sneak it by my accounting department on a purchase req:eyemouth:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Yea... problem is I'm very cheap. I figured someone out there had one hosted already. Maybe I'll try and sneak it by my accounting department on a purchase req:eyemouth:
I think we are in the same boat there (I'm pretty cheap too :) ) ... I've had no dire need for the manual at this point so I never dowloaded it.

Since it's copyrighted I doubt you'll find one for free anywhere,

Maybe you can convince the company it's for research, for buying Commanders, for company vehicles :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
I was toying araound with a dual electirc fan set up to decrease resistance and motor strain...glad im not the only one either...Buddy of mine was going to do the same to his F-350 diesel and I was going to see how it worked with his...have to tinker around under the hood of the XK a bit more...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts