Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently running a 245/50/20 on the wheels that came with my commander .. In having trouble finding the alternative sizes that I can fit on these wheels ... I can not find a aggressive looking a/t tire in this size and was wondering what other size tires with more tire options would fit these rims ?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I doubt you're going to find much as far as aggressive tires on a 20" wheel. You've got limited options as far as what'll fit under a stock XK, especially on a 20" wheel.

With that being said, depending on your wheel offset, you may be able to clear a 255/50R20. That's really the only other common tire size that will clear, as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt you're going to find much as far as aggressive tires on a 20" wheel. You've got limited options as far as what'll fit under a stock XK, especially on a 20" wheel.

With that being said, depending on your wheel offset, you may be able to clear a 255/50R20. That's really the only other common tire size that will clear, as far as I can tell.
There is a lot more options for the 255 I was just concerned on what sizes would fit correctly on the rim . jumping up from the 45 to the 55 I wouldn't run into width issues fitting the wheels themselves?

·
Registered
487 Posts
It's possible, but I doubt it. It's an increase of 10mm, but that'll fit just fine on most rims. You can run into problems having to stretch the tire if you're going for a smaller width, but a slightly larger width will usually fit just fine on a rim.

·
Administrator
6,287 Posts
I'm currently running a 245/50/20 on the wheels that came with my commander .. In having trouble finding the alternative sizes that I can fit on these wheels ... I can not find a aggressive looking a/t tire in this size and was wondering what other size tires with more tire options would fit these rims ?
You are running a 20 inch rim?

Am I reading that right Timmy?

Stock Commander rims are 17 inches.

I'm running P265/70R17's - on 17 x 8 Centerline Aluminum rims with 5.5 inch back spacing without any spacers and I have no rubbing whatsoever.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You're using a 20 inch rim which tells me it's an aftermarket rim. Whenever changing tire width, the width of the rim as well as the offset/backspacing of the rim comes into play.
Generally speaking, going from a 245mm wide tire to a 255mm wide tire won't affect it much as it only moves the inside sidewall 5mm closer to the shock assembly.
But with having an aftermarket rim, i wouldn't want to tell you you'd be fine doing it without knowing the offset of the 20 inch rim or the width of the rim. Right now, with a 245mm tire, I would guess your 20 inch rim is the same width, maybe a half inch wider as a stock rim, but I don't like speculating

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are running a 20 inch rim?

Am I reading that right Timmy?

Stock Commander rims are 17 inches.

I'm running P265/70R17's - on 17 x 8 Centerline Aluminum rims with 5.5 inch back spacing without any spacers and I have no rubbing whatsoever.
Yes they are 20 inch .. They are American racing wheels . they came with the vehicle when purchased

·
Administrator
6,287 Posts
Yes they are 20 inch .. They are American racing wheels . they came with the vehicle when purchased
That's an odd-ball rim size to run on a Commander.

I wish I could give you some advice on tires, but, I have no idea how that rim size will affect the clearance with the usual array of tires sizes that are normally run on Commanders.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts