Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked and looked and now come to a conclusion, hopefully I have gained some insight through the searches and am not dead wrong on my assumptions here...

I want to lift the rig with new rims/tires, no spacers/rubbing/cutting.

First of all the 2.25" RR lift.

I would like to then buy some Moto Metal 951's, 17x9, -12 offset. Match those with some 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's. Cheap tire, I know, but they have a section width of 10.7" and an overall diameter of 31" to hopefully avoid cutting/rubbing.

Most other 265/70/17's are at least 31.5" diameter. I know the general rule is to stay under 32" tall and under 10" wide but will this compromise work?

I figure they are just wider than 255's and just as tall as most other 255/70's that others state they have no rubbing with.

Last, will that offset compensate for not having a 1.25" - 1.5" spacer while still bringing the rim out the same amount as having the spacer?

Thanks to all you Gurus.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think you would be OK, but I am not certain how much impact the extra width might have on potential rubbing when turning. You would be an inch shorter than mine (half-inch off the radius) and it should give you the clearance you need. Also the General Grabber AT2s don't have quite an aggressive tread like some MT's, which also will help.

Someone else who has experience with different offsets and wheel setups should also jump in...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, sounds promising then...

Anyone know about the offest/backspacing of those rims?

And are most of you that are running 265/70s finding that you get rub from the width or overall diameter? Or can you tell?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So.............

I called General Tire directly and now they say it is 31.6" diameter. Since it would be on a 9" tire the section width would also probably be more like 11.1" rather than 10.7" since the 10.7" is measured on an 8" rim.

Probably too big then huh?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discount tire does and he does input here now and then... maybe you will get lucky or maybe someone will know :D

But I don't think you will have a issue, but cant remember the backspacing on the stock rims so...

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
If I recall correctly the back spacing is 7"

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Lmulderi,

I am installing my RR 2.25" lift tonight. I have ordered 1.5" Spidertrax spacers (should be in today) and a set of 265/70/17 Grabber At2's. I too have researched the hell out of this combo and I couldn't find anything conclusive around rubbing. I will let you know how things turn out. If I can get the spacers today, tires are going on tomorrow. If not it will likely be next weekend :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Finished the lift last night...or should I say at 2:30 am this morning. There are certainly a couple things they don't tell you and a couple of things I would offer with the kit. I will tell you this much, have an impact handy. It was a big help.

The lift so far is pretty awesome. Finally feels like a truck. Kinda drives a bit more like one too. Of course I haven't done an alignment yet so the sterring is kinda loose at higher speeds. Once I get the spacers and tires on I'll have a better idea of ride.

My spacers never came so looks like I won't be installing the tires until next weekend. I'll get back to you then.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Glad to hear your project is making progress. Looked at the General Grabbers today at a local shop when I was getting my muffler "fixed". They don't look bad at all if I must say so myself. Looking forward to pics of your completed transformation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lift is in, tires are on, alignment done, truck is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks amazing and I love the way you ride above everyone else. Gas mileage took a hit but oh well, it's a truck.

Barely any rubbing. Just a bit on the back inner fender in the front. I don't even notice it half the time. I will however remove the plastic inner fender, hammer back the pinch weld and heat gun the plastic.

I'll have some pictures up this weekend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts