Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was recently brought to my attention from a friend on the forum that American Rebel makes 10 bolt diff covers for XK owners with QTI & QT II. I was able to get my hands on the first rear diff cover from the production run for the chrysler 8.25 10 bolt axle. I absolutely love this diff cover and highly recommend it to anyone loking to replace their oem cover with a way better/stronger cover that has both fill and drain plugs. Its also priced a few dollars cheaper then the 4xguard diff guard and way better quaility than any other diff cover on the market. I love all the products that 4xguard makes but unfortunately there is a new product out thats a hair cheaper and better when it comes to protection and all around maintenance. I installed it last week thursday and the fitment was flawless!! The lower bolt holes are all recessed so you dont need to worry about them breaking off and causing damage when off road. It also has a smaler hole located between the drain and fill hole so that you can fill it with the correct amount of fluid. As far as I know American Rebel hasnt updated their website showing that they list this product so you may have to call them directly to place the order like I did. I got the option with the JEEP logo along with the black coating.

....and here is what the American Rebel diff cover is protecting. Im locked in the rear!!!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
It looks real strong. How much did u pay for it? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I recall correctly it was $137+ tax and shipping?

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's a really nice cover. In my opinion, the drain plug alone is worth having. I love the Jeep logo on it too. I am going to have to get me one of those. I like it, I don't even offroad my commander just the convenience for maintenance is worth the price.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...and you should see how amazing it looks from behind! Well if your not lifted and have a spare tire underneith it wont really be as noticable.

·
Registered
451 Posts
RuffStuff makes a bullet proof all steel cover for the 8.25, I have them on 3 of my 4 XJ's

Its available with a drain plug as well. I have beaten the hell out of the RS covers on my trail rig and I do not even have a dent. i recommend using Lube Locker gaskets with them and not RTV.

Here is a pick of the one on my trail rig. I have it tied into my axle truss

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
RuffStuff makes a bullet proof all steel cover for the 8.25, I have them on 3 of my 4 XJ's

Its available with a drain plug as well. I have beaten the hell out of the RS covers on my trail rig and I do not even have a dent. i recommend using Lube Locker gaskets with them and not RTV.

Here is a pick of the one on my trail rig. I have it tied into my axle truss
Not for nothing but im pretty confident that the American Rebel diff Cover is bullet proof as wel. As far as the RTV, I used what American Rebel sent with the cover. I've never had a problem with RTV if it is used properly.

I decided to go with the American Rebel diff cover over other diff covers on the market for a few reasons. I feel the American Rebel is the best looking cover on the market that is obviously very strong and has both drain and fill plugs as well as the small plug in between the two so the axle doesnt get over filled/under filled.

·
Registered
696 Posts
So where is the one that fits QDII?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I think I am going to put this one on my XK:

It is also made by American Rebel

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
So where is the one that fits QDII?
I was the first to respond in this thread and I asked the same question about a twelve bolt (QDII & QTII). But for some reason it looks like someone deleted my post and the response.? Anyway, 07JeepXK responded that if us 12 bolt guys want one we need to contact them and ask for it. They currently don't make one and the mold was $6,000 to make. So I guess if we have enough people contacting them they will make it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I wrote them a few days ago. No acknowledgement so far.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Gonna take a lot of people to get the price down

·
Registered
451 Posts
Contact Dan at RuffStuff, he can make you a QD2 cover and the more people that request one, the cheaper it will get.

Dan Fredrickson
EMAIL:
[email protected]

PHONE:
(916)-600-1945
FAX:
(916)-259-1077
MAILING ADDRESS:
3415 Swetzer Rd Bay 10
Loomis CA 95650

The difference in the cast and the steel covers are this;

Cast can crack if you hit something hard with it(not highly likely but it can happen). Steel will bend but not crack.

Dans covers have 1/2" thick mounting rings that are laser cut with recessed "stove bolts" or you could call them "countersunk" screws, the cover its self is 3/8", also laser cut, press formed then welded inside and out. The have a larger capacity than most covers and also have a fill and drain hole. I recommend Lube lockers just out of experience. Most housings are not machined as flat as Dan's covers so you may get some weepage at spots. The LubeLockers stop that.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I'm contacting them. Better do it sooner than later before the XK population goes down.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I was the first to respond in this thread and I asked the same question about a twelve bolt (QDII & QTII). But for some reason it looks like someone deleted my post and the response.?
No body deleted anything, you posted in another thread or something.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
The are already working on a 12 bolt version for me.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I too am a fan of lube lockers. I put them on my jk and have been really happy with them. No leaks, no mess, no scraping rtv off, and reusable. That being said, I haven't really had any problems with rtv either.

Those SA covers look nice too (very similar actually), doesn't look like that one pictured has a fill check hole and that one shown doesn't look like a 8.25 either (d30 or 8.8?) If the SA is cheaper I would go for it. Although, I do like the jeep logo.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I too am a fan of lube lockers. I put them on my jk and have been really happy with them. No leaks, no mess, no scraping rtv off, and reusable. That being said, I haven't really had any problems with rtv either.

Those SA covers look nice too (very similar actually), doesn't look like that one pictured has a fill check hole and that one shown doesn't look like a 8.25 either (d30 or 8.8?) If the SA is cheaper I would go for it. Although, I do like the jeep logo.
The photo I posted is a sample, not the XK or WK differential, The cost should be similar for the 10 bolt but the 12 will cost more to help cover the set up fees.

Both will have fill & drain holes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts