Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 XK limited and an 05 Grand Cherokee Limited. My GC battery went dead and I found that the liftgate wasn't completely closed and light stayed on. 2 days later the battery was dead again (lights off this time after jump starting) - the battery store (Batteries +) had tested the 4 year old (85 month) Interstate battery and all tested good. Must have a drain somewhere. Checking the + wire on the battery I was seeing 2.5 amp usage with all off - a little high. Played with ALL electrical devices and think the liftgate might have been it again although I had closed it good after the first time, now the amps read .20amps. Alternator checks good 13.5 volts. I put the meter on the Commander and it also reads .20amps with all off.
Does .2 amps sound like a normal reading with all off?

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is high, if it was in the final power down state. Keep in mind the PCM goes through several sequenced shutdown steps after key is turned off. This sequence may take up to several minutes to get to its final/lowest current draw state. My '06 Commander Limited eventually gets down to .06 Amps DC.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boy that was a long time ago! I was using an expensive clamp on meter and it is great for Amps but not very good for MA reading. I now use my VOM in series and get much better readings. Don't remember what fixed my off draw but everything is fine now. A big cause of a high draw is the starting motor cables corroded but I never cleaned mine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts