Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello again XK'ers..

Wanted to share my recent car audio upgrade for the XK.
100% of the work was done by me…. Just sayin.. ;)

Aftermarket Head unit: Kenwood KDC-x990 w auxiliary mini plug for ipod, android, etc..
Stock BA Amplifier with stock speakers
Dynamat on all doors. See this thread..
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17297
Kenwood 1000 Watt Amplifier: KAC-7205
Kenwood 12 inch single voice coil subwoofer: KFC-W3013PS
DB Link 2 farad capacitor w LED display

My goal was to install the system to make it as stealth as possible. I didn't want a visible sub box floating around in the back as an invitation for thieves.
The only item left on my list is a custom subwoofer grill to help protect it from the misc items I toss in the cargo area. Have a lot of ideas but nothing in the works yet..

I removed the passenger side 3rd row seat and replaced it with a subwoofer box to store the 12 inch beast. The box is angled slightly because the cargo floor height is a tad smaller towards the back of the XK. Mounting depth was an issue because I wanted the top of the sub to remain flush with the cargo floor. This sub has a 6 inch mounting depth.

I used MDF for the new floor along with carpet I ordered from a local upholstery shop.
Carpet Type: Ozite
Color: Medium Dark Pewter

I realized after I was done, I installed the carpet in the wrong direction on the 2 boards which cover the drivers side fold down seat. But I honestly don't mind, not worth fixing it IMO

Here's the cost involved..
Amp + wiring kit: $135
Sub: $99
Capacitor: $35
MDF: $36
Carpet: $60 have a bit more than I need
Hinges, glue, caulk, etc.. $40

The system sounds amazing!
However, the lights dim quite a bit, even with moderate volume. The capacitor is a must and it totally helps keep the battery at the necessary voltage.

Enjoy the pictures…

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
258 Posts
Excellent work. Very clean. I bet it does sound awesome.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts