Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This stuff is pretty expensive. Do any of you use this? and if so, how often do you change your oil? Any measurable difference between this stuff and other sythetics? BTW- I have an 2006 XK 4.7 L

Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just switched to Mobil 1 synthetic my last oil change. But after talking to the Amsoil dealer for a couple of hours tonight, I am thinking about switching to the 0w-30. Amsoil recommends 25,000 or 1 year. I bought their gear oil for the front and rear diffs. Maybe HueyPilot has some input? I think he recently went to all Amsoil...

·
2,248 Posts
I actually changed all my fluids over to Amsoil a couple of years ago. I just did it as a preventive measure. I figured that it could not hurt to have a good quality synthetic in all the gear boxes and engine. I have had no problems but I guess that was the objective. I gave some away to TYMAC and I think it was Ped who won the other oil change at Silverton. I also use the Amsoil filters and gave some of them away. Maybe those guys have some input. In my opinion it might be hard to tell the difference until much later, but no trouble is the best outcome.

You can save money on Amsoil by being a dealer and it does not cost much to sign up online as a dealer. I bought several different product by the case so it made sense for me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did you also change over the trans fluid? Amsoil says their ATF can be used in place of the mopar ATF+4, any issues?

·
2,248 Posts
Yes I did the transmission, both diffs, and the engine. I have no problems with the Commander except having the A/C worked on once. That is the only time I have taken it in to the dealer for a warranty issue.

All the maintenance is done by people who I can watch using my system of being a lazy supervisor.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Did you also change over the trans fluid? Amsoil says their ATF can be used in place of the mopar ATF+4, any issues?
How are you going to drain, replace, and check the level of the Amsoil ATF with the sealed QT1 transmission?

·
2,248 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
So i take it this Amsoil 0w30 is a direct replacement for 5w20 that is recommended?

·
Registered
43 Posts
How are you going to drain, replace, and check the level of the Amsoil ATF with the sealed QT1 transmission?

It's not really "sealed", just no real way to check levels w/out going to the dealer:mofo:

If I can solve that problem, I will change over, just not sure when.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
It sounds like he needs to use the Amsoil 0w20 then. Unless his Commander calls for a different motor oil then mine.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
According to my owners manual, the 5.7 requires 5w-20. The 3.7 and 4.7 use 5w-30.
This varies by model year also.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
According to my owners manual, the 5.7 requires 5w-20. The 3.7 and 4.7 use 5w-30.
You have to keep in mind that you own a 2006 Jeep Commander. They have since had multiple TSP's on the type of fluids that go in the engine and transfer case. Im sure if you were to look in your owners manual, it states you need to use ATF+4 for your transfer case. The new TSB's state that your not supposed to use the ATF+4 any more and that it has been changed to the Mopar Transfer Case Fluid. I own a 2007 4.7 liter and it states right in the owners manual and on the oil cap 5w20. So the change must have taken place between the 06-07 models and thats why the TSB's came out for the 2006 models.

·
1,993 Posts
2007 service manual

ENGINE Component
Fluid, Lubricant, or Genuine Part

Engine Coolant
Mopar® Antifreeze/Coolant 5 Year/100,000 Mile (160 000 km) Formula HOAT (Hybrid Organic Additive Technology)

Engine Oil (3.7/4.7/5.7L Engines)
Use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-6395.

Oil Filter (All Engines)
Mopar® Oil Filter (P/N 05281090)

Spark Plugs
Refer to the Vehicle Emission Control Information label in the engine compartment.

Fuel Selection (3.7L and 4.7L Engines)
87 Octane

Fuel Selection (5.7L Engines)
87 Octane Acceptable - 89 Octane Recommended

·
Registered
43 Posts
You have to keep in mind that you own a 2006 Jeep Commander. They have since had multiple TSP's on the type of fluids that go in the engine and transfer case. Im sure if you were to look in your owners manual, it states you need to use ATF+4 for your transfer case. The new TSP's state that your not supposed to use the ATF+4 any more and that it has been changed to the Mopar Transfer Case Fluid. I own a 2007 4.7 liter and it states right in the owners manual and on the oil cap 5w20. So the change must have taken place between the 06-07 models and thats why the TSP's came out for the 2006 models.
What is a TSP? And where can I find them?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
What is a TSP? And where can I find them?
Im sorry. I got work and the Commander forum mixed up. Working on TSP's for work. I meant to say TSB. It means Technical Service Bulletin. I think Jeep5253 has a list of all of them or knows where to find them. Maybe he will chime in.

·
Registered
140 Posts
2007 service manual

ENGINE Component
Fluid, Lubricant, or Genuine Part

Engine Coolant
Mopar® Antifreeze/Coolant 5 Year/100,000 Mile (160 000 km) Formula HOAT (Hybrid Organic Additive Technology)

Engine Oil (3.7/4.7/5.7L Engines)
Use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-6395.

Oil Filter (All Engines)
Mopar® Oil Filter (P/N 05281090)

Spark Plugs
Refer to the Vehicle Emission Control Information label in the engine compartment.

Fuel Selection (3.7L and 4.7L Engines)
87 Octane

Fuel Selection (5.7L Engines)
87 Octane Acceptable - 89 Octane Recommended

Keep in mind the oil filter changed in 2008 (I think), for the 4.7l at least. Different threads. Make sure you get the right one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts