Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at getting some new rubber for my stock height commander. I was looking at running some 245/70/17 duratracs, but the problem with these tires are that they only recommend using them on an 8inch wide wheel while I have MT Classic Locks, which are 9inches. So... could I run a 265/65R17 BFG AT T/A KO on these wheels since I have the extra inch of backspacing, or am I still going to rub on the sides? Also, if you have anything good or bad to say about either of these tires, please let me know. Merry Christmas y'all.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I definately wouldn't mount a 245/70R17 on a 9 inch wide wheel. Thats way to wide of a wheel for that narrow of a tire.

Just curious if you know the specs of those wheels. I went on the Mickey Thompson website and the only 17x9 Classic Lock wheel that was listed with 5 on 5 bolt pattern had 4.5 inches of back spacing. The stock wheels have 6 inches of back spacing and are only 7.5 inches wide. So not only is there an inch and a half less back spacing on the new wheels but they are also an inch and a half wider. Without a lift, you would have crazy rubbing with a 265/65R17 because the wheels/tires will be sitting out way to far. I personally dont think it would look good sitting out that far without a lift but thats just my personal opinion. Here is a picture of phunkeydudes commander running the same spec wheels from Mickey Thompson but in the Classic II. This was back when he was just running the 4 inch superlift and 285's.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They do stick out a ways as is, and I actually like the wider stance. But I forgot to take into account that they would rub on the outside, I was concerned about hitting the bolt on inside. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any recommendations then? I'm kinda lost looking for a decent All-terrain tire that will fit under my jeep with the rims I have. I'm too stubborn to lift it or switch out my rims for the stock ones, all though that may be what it will come down to.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
They do stick out a ways as is, and I actually like the wider stance. But I forgot to take into account that they would rub on the outside, I was concerned about hitting the bolt on inside. Thanks for the input.
So you already have them mounted on the XK? What size tires are you currently running on those wheels? Have any pics of the current setup?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am running the stock forteras and the've been problem free for the past two years, but they can sit on a little wider rim than the stiffer side-walled tires. Sorry no pics, its tucked away too due to the blizzard we are having so I won't be able to come up with any for a couple of days either.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I'd be afraid of blowing a bead running that size tire on a 9 inch wide wheel. I guess it helps that the stock Fortera's are a lot wider then the normal 245mm wide tire. Do you ever take your commander off road?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Nothing hard-core. Its my daily driver. It usually only sees an occassional washed out dirt road or pasture run when the opportunity presents itself. No trail rides that require climbing rocks or branches. This is ND, its flat, we can drive around those things. (As long as we can see them in the tall grass.) But I'd still like a decent All-Terrain tire. What I do occassionally take it out on can be rough, expecially muddy. And its nice to have a capable tire here when some roads aren't maintained well after the winter.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went out and did some measuring. From what I could gather, I could "possibly" run the 265's but it would be really close on the front outside corner when turning. Not something I want to risk when throwing down a $1000 for tires. What would your opinion being on running 255/65/17 bridgestone revos? Only ~1/2 taller and a little wider, enough to fit my 9 inch wheels better. Anyone have any opinions on the tires themselves? I'll try to get some pics up tomarrow if your still interested in seeing them.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I went out and did some measuring. From what I could gather, I could "possibly" run the 265's but it would be really close on the front outside corner when turning. Not something I want to risk when throwing down a $1000 for tires. What would your opinion being on running 255/65/17 bridgestone revos? Only ~1/2 taller and a little wider, enough to fit my 9 inch wheels better. Anyone have any opinions on the tires themselves? I'll try to get some pics up tomarrow if your still interested in seeing them.
I had the Bridgestone Dueler REVO AT's in a 255/70R17 and they are actually more narrow then the 245/65R17 Fortera's they replaced. Even the tread width as a lot smaller on the REVO's. For some reason those stock Fortera's are extremly wide for a 245mm.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can 2nd the narrowness of the 255/65/17 Revo's. I was certainly disappointed with the look but they do grip like crazy... I'm very happy with their snow/ice performance last week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts