Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 65th Green with the 4.7 :D This is our second Jeep I also own a 03 Tj
Some of the hard core Tj owners hate the new Commander but I love it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congrats. I just brought the wife a dark Khaki with the 4.7. It has 1700 miles and no problems so far. She really loves it and this is her 4th Jeep in a row.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
HQ6 said:
Congrats. I just brought the wife a dark Khaki with the 4.7. It has 1700 miles and no problems so far. She really loves it and this is her 4th Jeep in a row.
I find comments like that interesting. You sound like you are EXPECTING problems with your new Commander. I mean, 1700 whole miles and nothing went wrong yet? Amazing.

But seriously, how many people are experiencing problems with new Commanders? We've been considering adding a Commander to our family, but I'm a little gun shy about buying a domestic SUV. Maybe I'm just a little bit spoiled, but my 4Runner has been 100% problem-free since the day I bought it, which is exactly what I would expect.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I think you are on to something. See my post yesterday:
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649

I was not EXPECTING problems, but I was sure HOPING there wouldn't be any. Having to immediately return to the dealer does not instill a feeling of satisfation for a new DCX customer. I can't really even brag on the Jeep for a while because I'm not sure if it was a fluke or if I have one that is going to have electrical issues. I did my homework so I knew about the wind noise and leaky door issues, and that didn't bother me because I knew they could be easily fixed and were obviously first-year issues. As a long time Honda/Toyota/Mazda owner I know that if you keep them long enough or abuse them enough they will have problems also. I don't mind the occasional problem if it's minor, but I certainly don't expect to have a problem that requires a service visit before there are 30 miles on the ODO!

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
It is stories like yours that have me thinking twice about buying a Commander. The wifey really likes the looks of the Commander, so it will be primarily her vehicle. But I like it too, although I'm not willing to give up my 4Runner.

Sure, any vehicle can have problems. But I just wish they all had similar reliability to my 4Runner!!

My brother owns a Land Rover LR3, and he has had all kinds of electrical problems with it. So many problems that I'd shy away from any Land Rover vehicle. Maybe that's a crazy way to think, but we can only make judgments based upon our experiences!

·
Registered
258 Posts
the only problem I have with mine is the airconditioner is set for west and north weather and not Texas weather.:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
From what I hear about Land Rovers in general, the components are pretty reliable but the build quality is terrible. You're better off buying a few years used Rover and letting someone else work out whatever kinks the factory left in the vehicle.

I'm not shy about saying that I expect a few things to be wrong with the Commander. Even though it's based on the GC, it is a first year run of a model. There will be issues. I know the whistling windshield has bitten many of us. Don't think any manufacturer is immune from first year failures. Even Toyota had some issues when they first went to the 5-speed auto tranny and that problem affected several vehicles. That doesn't mean Toyota is a bad manufacturer (They're #2 in my book.) but it does mean that even the best car makers can and will have issues with any new equipment.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I too was skeptical of buying a DCX product...and had many people telling me it was a bad idea. So for the Commander is prooving them right!! I love the looks and the ride...DCX certianly needs to do a better job of prelim work before sending a $40K Jeep on the streets with sooooooo many issues. I am giving it 1 year... if the problems persist, although most minor, I will be driving an LR3 or RR Sport by early '07.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We just bought a new Commander and are very impressed with the ride quality. We also have a 04 GC and with 70000 miles. I use the GC for off road adventures and a lot of hunting trips - no problems at all. Regarding minor problems, many of the TSB's will solve them.

This is our third Jeep - our original 1996 GC had 220,000 miles on it before we gave it to my sister two years ago - sho still drives it!

·
Registered
476 Posts
John Wayne said:
We just bought a new Commander and are very impressed with the ride quality. ... ...Regarding minor problems, many of the TSB's will solve them.
Congrats on getting one of the few Commanders that was quality tested BEFORE leaving the mfg. plant :D

BTY: I gave my Range Rover with 200+ miles to my father to use as his fishing "truck"... sure do miss it now! :eek:

·
Banned
1,397 Posts

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
HemiCommander said:
I am giving it 1 year... if the problems persist, although most minor, I will be driving an LR3 or RR Sport by early '07.
I'd be careful about buying a Land Rover. They are really nice vehicles, but they aren't so hot in the reliability department. From what I've seen, electrical problems are a way of life with most Land Rovers. As much as I like the LR3, I would only buy one if they had a proven track record of reliability.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
65th Green said:
It seems that all first release cars and trucks have alot of problems!
Very true. This is the very reason that I avoid first-year vehicles, regardless of the manufacturer.

We shall see how the 2nd year Commander compares to the 1st year models.

·
Registered
476 Posts
TR4Runner said:
I'd be careful about buying a Land Rover. They are really nice vehicles, but they aren't so hot in the reliability department. From what I've seen, electrical problems are a way of life with most Land Rovers. As much as I like the LR3, I would only buy one if they had a proven track record of reliability.
Land Rovers do tend to have their flaws...but I know my Rangy with over 200K miles was extreemly reliable... other than PM it was in only once for service - the tranny went after 135K miles of hard driving.

I also keep reminding myself that of the three vehicles I have purchased (Toyota, Lexus, RR) - I was fortunate to not have the first major problems out of any until they had milage in excess of 120K. - Must just be my time :rolleyes:

·
Registered
45 Posts
65th Green, welcome. They are fantastic machines, treat it well.
We've had ours about 7 months now with no problems and no regrets...
Carlos

·
Banned
71 Posts
Just to update, I have 250 miles on the Commando now. No recurrence of the problem yet. Otherwise I love it. I even rode in the back row tonight... and it was a little strange but really not that bad. I am 5'11" & 185, and it was a little tight but once I folded my legs "indian style" it wasn't bad at all. Wouldn't want to ride all day back there but short trips are fine. Nice touch with the faux diamond plate step under the middle row seat, it shows that they actually thought about how to get in/out.

One other problem though... THE WIND WHISTLE!!! Didn't the TSB come out quite a while back? (I need to look it up) Mine was built in early June, and arrived at the dealer at the end of June. This should have been fixed at the factory, or at very least DCX should tell the dealers to fix the ones on the lot. If they don't they guarantee that some of their customers will be making return trips soon, which only continues the theory that DCX product is crap. I know it is an easy fix and is just a first year issue, but I will either have to burn some time at the dealer or fix it myself. By the way, mine does not have the sunroofs so it is clearly a seal issue.

Since I got such a great deal I don't mind a few minor problems. With Employee Pricing +2K rebate I got out the door for only $25K even. And that includes tax! HOWEVER, if I had paid 40K for a loaded Hemi and had these issues I would be pissed. In that league you just can't throw out a product with KNOWN issues without fixing them first. Especially when the fix only requires some caulking.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts