Jeep Commander Forum banner

Another new Owner

9K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  TR4Runner 
#1 ·
Just got a 65th Green with the 4.7 :D This is our second Jeep I also own a 03 Tj
Some of the hard core Tj owners hate the new Commander but I love it!

#4 ·
HQ6 said:
Congrats. I just brought the wife a dark Khaki with the 4.7. It has 1700 miles and no problems so far. She really loves it and this is her 4th Jeep in a row.
I find comments like that interesting. You sound like you are EXPECTING problems with your new Commander. I mean, 1700 whole miles and nothing went wrong yet? Amazing.

But seriously, how many people are experiencing problems with new Commanders? We've been considering adding a Commander to our family, but I'm a little gun shy about buying a domestic SUV. Maybe I'm just a little bit spoiled, but my 4Runner has been 100% problem-free since the day I bought it, which is exactly what I would expect.

#5 ·
I think you are on to something. See my post yesterday:
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649

I was not EXPECTING problems, but I was sure HOPING there wouldn't be any. Having to immediately return to the dealer does not instill a feeling of satisfation for a new DCX customer. I can't really even brag on the Jeep for a while because I'm not sure if it was a fluke or if I have one that is going to have electrical issues. I did my homework so I knew about the wind noise and leaky door issues, and that didn't bother me because I knew they could be easily fixed and were obviously first-year issues. As a long time Honda/Toyota/Mazda owner I know that if you keep them long enough or abuse them enough they will have problems also. I don't mind the occasional problem if it's minor, but I certainly don't expect to have a problem that requires a service visit before there are 30 miles on the ODO!

#6 ·
It is stories like yours that have me thinking twice about buying a Commander. The wifey really likes the looks of the Commander, so it will be primarily her vehicle. But I like it too, although I'm not willing to give up my 4Runner.

Sure, any vehicle can have problems. But I just wish they all had similar reliability to my 4Runner!!

My brother owns a Land Rover LR3, and he has had all kinds of electrical problems with it. So many problems that I'd shy away from any Land Rover vehicle. Maybe that's a crazy way to think, but we can only make judgments based upon our experiences!

#8 ·
From what I hear about Land Rovers in general, the components are pretty reliable but the build quality is terrible. You're better off buying a few years used Rover and letting someone else work out whatever kinks the factory left in the vehicle.

I'm not shy about saying that I expect a few things to be wrong with the Commander. Even though it's based on the GC, it is a first year run of a model. There will be issues. I know the whistling windshield has bitten many of us. Don't think any manufacturer is immune from first year failures. Even Toyota had some issues when they first went to the 5-speed auto tranny and that problem affected several vehicles. That doesn't mean Toyota is a bad manufacturer (They're #2 in my book.) but it does mean that even the best car makers can and will have issues with any new equipment.

#10 ·
I too was skeptical of buying a DCX product...and had many people telling me it was a bad idea. So for the Commander is prooving them right!! I love the looks and the ride...DCX certianly needs to do a better job of prelim work before sending a $40K Jeep on the streets with sooooooo many issues. I am giving it 1 year... if the problems persist, although most minor, I will be driving an LR3 or RR Sport by early '07.

#11 ·
We just bought a new Commander and are very impressed with the ride quality. We also have a 04 GC and with 70000 miles. I use the GC for off road adventures and a lot of hunting trips - no problems at all. Regarding minor problems, many of the TSB's will solve them.

This is our third Jeep - our original 1996 GC had 220,000 miles on it before we gave it to my sister two years ago - sho still drives it!

#12 ·
John Wayne said:
We just bought a new Commander and are very impressed with the ride quality. ... ...Regarding minor problems, many of the TSB's will solve them.
Congrats on getting one of the few Commanders that was quality tested BEFORE leaving the mfg. plant :D

BTY: I gave my Range Rover with 200+ miles to my father to use as his fishing "truck"... sure do miss it now! :eek:

#13 ·
#14 ·
HemiCommander said:
I am giving it 1 year... if the problems persist, although most minor, I will be driving an LR3 or RR Sport by early '07.
I'd be careful about buying a Land Rover. They are really nice vehicles, but they aren't so hot in the reliability department. From what I've seen, electrical problems are a way of life with most Land Rovers. As much as I like the LR3, I would only buy one if they had a proven track record of reliability.

#17 ·
TR4Runner said:
I'd be careful about buying a Land Rover. They are really nice vehicles, but they aren't so hot in the reliability department. From what I've seen, electrical problems are a way of life with most Land Rovers. As much as I like the LR3, I would only buy one if they had a proven track record of reliability.
Land Rovers do tend to have their flaws...but I know my Rangy with over 200K miles was extreemly reliable... other than PM it was in only once for service - the tranny went after 135K miles of hard driving.

I also keep reminding myself that of the three vehicles I have purchased (Toyota, Lexus, RR) - I was fortunate to not have the first major problems out of any until they had milage in excess of 120K. - Must just be my time :rolleyes:

#19 ·
Just to update, I have 250 miles on the Commando now. No recurrence of the problem yet. Otherwise I love it. I even rode in the back row tonight... and it was a little strange but really not that bad. I am 5'11" & 185, and it was a little tight but once I folded my legs "indian style" it wasn't bad at all. Wouldn't want to ride all day back there but short trips are fine. Nice touch with the faux diamond plate step under the middle row seat, it shows that they actually thought about how to get in/out.

One other problem though... THE WIND WHISTLE!!! Didn't the TSB come out quite a while back? (I need to look it up) Mine was built in early June, and arrived at the dealer at the end of June. This should have been fixed at the factory, or at very least DCX should tell the dealers to fix the ones on the lot. If they don't they guarantee that some of their customers will be making return trips soon, which only continues the theory that DCX product is crap. I know it is an easy fix and is just a first year issue, but I will either have to burn some time at the dealer or fix it myself. By the way, mine does not have the sunroofs so it is clearly a seal issue.

Since I got such a great deal I don't mind a few minor problems. With Employee Pricing +2K rebate I got out the door for only $25K even. And that includes tax! HOWEVER, if I had paid 40K for a loaded Hemi and had these issues I would be pissed. In that league you just can't throw out a product with KNOWN issues without fixing them first. Especially when the fix only requires some caulking.

#22 ·
Thanks TPS for putting that in here....I feel much better now knowing we (jeep owners) arent alone with problems. By the way, I havent had one problem with my Commander...it is one terrific truck.

#23 ·
The reality is that vehicles are fairly complex machines, and all will have some issues - pick any vehicle you can think of and find an on-line forum of owners like this one, and you'll see the same types of discussions.

#24 ·
Yes... that's 100% correct.

I'm a proud VW owner ... and boy... you thought Jeep had its problems!!!!

I'm still an avid VW geek.... I like working on/modifiying cars in general. (part of a hobby that I need to cut back a bit)

So far.. after 8500 miles on our Commander ... my family is getting as much enjoyment out of it as one could get with a nicely priced anti-MiniVan gas-guzzler that can handle off-road jaunts in a heartbeat.

All that's left for mods ... maybe.. is a roof basket... and a healthy-sounding exhaust :)
I did the K&N drop-in a couple weeks ago (along with the snorkel removal) ... I don't see a noticable increase in gas mileage... (However, we've been doing some spirited driving in 100+ degree weather the past couple weeks) But it does seems that there's a little bit more power output.

#25 ·
TPS said:
The reality is that vehicles are fairly complex machines, and all will have some issues - pick any vehicle you can think of and find an on-line forum of owners like this one, and you'll see the same types of discussions.

While it's true that there's no such thing as a line of vehicles in which every single one of them is 100% trouble free, the fact of the matter is that there's a huge separation when it comes to reliability and quality between auto manufacturers.

As a 4Runner owner, I read the 4Runner forums daily. Do owners ever report problems? Of course they do. But nowhere NEAR the degree that Commander owners report problems here. And most of the complaints on the 4Runner forum are of non-serious type issues. For example, a common complaint is that when you accelerate hard with the rear window down, you get a sulfer smell from the catalytic converter.

The complaints I read here are usually much more serious in nature.....interior leaks, transmission problems, engines shutting down.

Don't get me wrong--I'm an American who wishes that domestic vehicles were the best made vehicles in the world. But I'm also honest enough to admit that just isn't true.

I can't fault anyone for their choice to buy a Commander. Heck, I was even considering one too. It's a nice vehicle for sure, but reading so many complaints in disheartening. Go check out the 4Runner forum (which is much bigger) and you'll find very few serious issues in comparison. Does that mean everyone should run out and buy a 4Runner? Of course not. Different people have different criteria for choosing a new vehicle. For me, one of the important things is reliability. That said, I think I made a good choice.

#26 ·
I'm sure the 4Runners run above average by most standards for reliability, not as good as the Land Cruiser but good none the less. I just do not like the 4Runner as a 7 seater 4x4, I never did. I considered buying one on several occassions but they steer/handle like a boat, need a country mile to turn around and have poor clearance. To add to this, the fuel economy is pretty bad for what it is. Ride quality and acceleration is good but that is about it.

The Commander (at least the three I've driven/tested overnight and the one I now own) rides and accelerates better than I imagined one could. In addition, I can turn a circle 4 feet smaller inside the circle you can turn w/ the 4Runner. The Commander is very nimble and handles extremely well compared to the 4Runners I tested. I tested all three Commander engines and chose the 4.7L as best all-around for my needs. Mine has done exceedingly well as far as mpg goes both in city and highway. This is the first I've heard that the Commanders 5spd is defective by design. This is the same transmission that AEV uses in their TJ Hemi conversions and they think highly of them. Mine has been flawless. I do have a 6yr/85000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and have a good relationship w/ the manager of a very well established dealership in the 4x4 community. I'm confident if any bugs turn up that they will be corrected.

In closing, my brother is still driving his 1988 Jeep w/ well over 250,000 miles and my neighbor has 164,000 miles on his farm Jeep. My 92 has 227,000 miles on it. They've been good to me, they are 4x4 icons, 4Runners are not.

XKPearl:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.